AWOL Around Australia...


Active member
From Sandstone it was back on random dirt roads. Steadily trekking north east, just following our noses like usual.

We called into camp at Lake Mason homestead. It was too early for us to stop, not to mention the place had a pretty spooky, deserted vibe to it.

The weathered buildings went well with the moody skies.

The flies here were starting to get quite bad. N was safely ensconced in the Cruiser whilst I was outside. We happened to have the Dirty Dancing soundtrack on (I’ve started buying CDs again, mostly from Op Shops - you can only listen to so much playlist music and AM radio, no phone or internet reception most of the places we go - so random old CDs makes for some entertaining music selection that you can play anywhere, anytime) so as I’m dancing around flailing my arms around to get rid of the flies before racing back to the car. All she sees is a crazy man dancing badly to Yes! by Merry Clayton, very amusing apparently.

As were heading back to the main track a good old boy in his Troopy came barrelling the other way. We stop for a yarn (although the old bugger was exceptionally hard to hear over the sound on the engines and he would regularly turn away to gesture where he was talking about - I am deaf in one ear so that doesn’t help - N filled me in on the details of the conversation afterwards) apparently he lives another ten km past the Lake Mason camp. He explained that the ‘lake’ hasn’t had water in it since 1976 “that’s the year I was born!” I say. “Must have been a good year then!” he cracks back. Apparently there have been the odd bird watcher come out to see the birds on the lake, only to find it isn’t that sort of lake. Anyway, he seemed a nice enough chap. People living so far out in the bush always fills me with questions, which never seem appropriate to ask in such a short exchange.

We found some properly lonely roads that afternoon.

Quite late into camp that night. A free roadside camp that was set well back from the road. A ute came in after us but didn’t stay, so we had the place to ourselves. Well us, and several million of our closest little mates.

Flies were bad here, even I had the fly headnet on. Luckily only for an hour or so till the sun went down.

Unfortunately we had forgotten to plus in the Thumper battery to be charged as we drove this morning. So it was already quite discharged when we came to plug the fridge in that night. Nothing for it but to turn the fridge up a little and hope for the best, as temperatures probably wouldn’t get lower than mid twenties overnight.



Active member

Well, when I got up the fridge was only at 9 degrees. So the Thumper had probably kept it going till about an hour or so ago. The Thumper was totally discharged. So I pulled the fridge off it and ran the car for a short time to bring the fridge back down to temp, whilst the solar trickled charge back into the battery with the rising sun.

With the winds of last night totally gone the fly factor had gone up even more.

Just woken up.

Not happy Jan...

So we scrapped making coffee, and were packed and ready to go in about fifteen minutes. We were only 60km out of the town of Wiluna, this was the western end of both the Gunbarrel Highway and the Canning Stock Route. So I figured there would be good facilities to take advantage of the travellers of these iconic outback routes.

Not so. Wiluna was unfortunately a good example of when you mix a certain part of our community and alcohol. Rubbish and beer cans all around the outside of the town. Scenes I was familiar with after working on indigenous community projects in the Army. We were there early but the facilities, whatever they were, were not open for business, and as all the windows and doors are boarded up, you couldn’t tell what the might be anyway. Nay mind, we’ll push on.

We headed a short way up the CSR and took the turn off to North Pool. Disturbing the cattle getting their morning drink. It’s a nice enough spot but obviously very heavily visited, takes the appeal away for me - and absolutely the reason why such heavily trafficked iconic routes such as the CSR have no appeal.

We took he more minor loop track out to get back to the main road. Minor? You bet. We nearly lost the trail several times and I would suggest that another vehicle hadn’t been down this way in months.

We eventually popped back out on the main dirt road to Meekatharra.

We didn’t see another vehicle in the 160km till we got to the town. Where a mobile coffee lunch truck finally secured us our caffeine hit, along with some freshly made sandwiches and homemade cake. Worth the wait.

Road. Train.

Up there...

Now down the bitumen highway south, back towards Mount Magnet, but our destination was the small historic town of Cue.

Girl doing Terminator walk.

Some grand old buildings.

This one all on its own out the back of town, felt like it would be haunted, for sure.

Last edited:


Active member
Back on the dirt now, first stop was one of the more recent ghost towns. Big Bell Township 1936-1955. Boom and indeed, bust.

Watch your step around here.

Whilst photographing the building I heard a noise inside, quietly cursing to myself, surely there couldn’t be anyone in there...?

Seconds later out hopped Skippy...

Next stop on this afternoon’s dirt road tour was Walga Rock, an impressive natural sculpture with indigenous cave paintings all along the inside of the overhang.

This was the perfect contrast to our visit to Wave Rock. Just us there. Minimal modification to to the environment, just a chain to keep you away from the ancient cave paintings and a Heath Robinson irrigation system made from old oil drums that was slowly rusting itself away.

You can drive around the whole rock, absolutely worth it. Very little publicity for this monolith. Australia is normally quite proactive in publicising such things, anyway I’m not complaining.

Last edited:


Active member
Final stop was Australia’s smallest
meteorite crater. It did have an good back story though.

So we rolled back into Yalgoo from the north, come early evening. No flies to mention here.

A few big days behind us so we slept well that night.


Come the morning we drove out to Jokers Tunnel. Named so because the gold leases in this area were named after playing cards.

So in I went.

Mostly cut by hand...

The bats were amazing, I have never seen them so up close before, they didn’t seem too bothered with me being there, probably quite used to human interference by now. Have them fly past you was a pretty surreal experience.

The tunnel gets quite tight at the other end, and stepping back to full height and the clear daylight was a relief. Looking around for the path back around I expected to find I realised no such thing existed and so there was only one vaguely sensible way back. So back through the tunnel I went.

After a few more photos of the bats and I think they were starting to have enough of me. The bigger ones were flying past me a lot and a couple of them touched me on the way. So I decided I had disturbed them enough for one morning and made my way out, past the several metres of bug lined walls, then the same with spider webs, and then back out into full daylight.

It was a pretty exhilarating experience all in all.

An easy drive back west to the town of Mullewa. Where some of the best examples of the Monsignor Hawesarchitecture is.

Here we again hit the dirt to go cross country to the town of Northampton.

We were beginning to realise that free camping in WA isn’t really available the way it is in the other states, aside from roadside camps, and who wants to camp there?

So N had found a $5/night place, and it was in the region we wanted to explore next. So Elbenjo Camp it was for us.

The hosts greet you on arrival with a rescue baby kangaroo, there have many rescue animals.

I said its a while since I've seen one up this close and they though I meant a dead one! I reassured them that Mt Ive Station in South Australia has a couple of very friendly pets ones too.

That's a photo from Mt Ive, as I didn't get any of the Elbenjo joey.

After moving everyday for the past four days, it was going be good to stay in the same spot for a couple of nights.
Last edited:


Active member
Kalbarri Region.

West Australia.

Next day we took a short drive around the local area. Mostly to check out the pink lake at Hutt Lagoon, Port Gregory. There are a number of these pink lakes in Australia, in varying intensity of ‘pinkness’. Why pink?

Hutt Lagoon is a pink lake, a salt lake with a red or pink hue due to the presence of the carotenoid-producing algae Dunaliella salina, a source of ß-carotene, a food-colouring agent and source of vitamin A. The lagoon contains the world's largest microalgae production plant, a 250-hectare (620-acre) series of artificial ponds used to farm Dunaliella salina.[2]
From Wikipedia

Seems that plant is run by BASF (judging by old mate at the campsites work shirt), the German chemical company who any fans of iconic racing car liveries would know.

Hutt Lagoon was decently pink.

More appropriately photographed from the air, or assisted in ‘post production’ as you see in all the tourist brochures. As ever, my photos are just as I find the environment. M. Nature does a good enough job in my opinion.

Port Gregory, looks inviting hey?

These little fellas were lining where the tide was coming to on the beach.

Bluebottles or Portuguese Man O War, unlikely to do you serious harm, but still will take the fun out of swimming in the sea.

We meandered back along the cliff road, through the beachside village of Horrocks.

All very nice, and as we were still ‘long weekend’ distance from Perth many Mc’Mansion Shacks (Mc’Shacksion?) were in evidence. Anyway, the worst heat of the day gone we trundled back to camp.

Cooked beef curry, just in case you thought we had stopped eating :)


Next day a train of caterpillars helped us pack up.

I found a mean and roofless Discovery on the way out.

We made our way to the Province of Hutt River, and according to their view, left Australia for a few hours while we visited there.

The second, errrm individualsettlement we had been to in WA. I couldn’t work out just how seriously they took themselves.

With 19,000 acres of wheat and cattle farming they probably do ok. Anyway it’s a bit of fun, and a story, the like of which doesn’t really happen any more.


Active member
Camp for the next couple of nights would be at Lucky Bay.

$15 a night, but basically camp where you like, on the flat hard standing like everyone else, or tucked up in the dunes (us).

There were about eight other vehicles there that night. As I said all down on the flat area. I figured they either had a big caravan, no compressor to pump their tyres back up, as the dunes required 20psi and under to negotiate, or a roof top tent, there wasn’t much level ground near the beach, just enough for us to squeeze the Oztent on.
Although a Patrol that came in after us, towing an older road based caravan, and hit the dunes with great gusto. I later found out it was a couple of Irish brothers, who got that caravan right onto the beach, they were here for fishing and fishing only.
Irish lads always seem to travel as brothers, as if... (Irish accent) ‘Ma, I’m, thinking of going to Australia...’ ‘That’s fine Seamus, just make sure you take your brother’.

As usual these coastal campsites are a bit windy, but you certainly feel you’re back to nature. Interesting after that first night it was just us and the Irish chaps.

Beetroot, harissa lamb and rice cooked in the beetroot liquor. Bloody delicious.

Sunset on the beach.


I left the rest of the expedition party at camp the next day, whilst I headed up the coast to hike the river gorges of Kalbarri National Park.

We had actually been here before. Twenty years ago when it was all dirt roads (not to mention a big detour to get in, after Cyclone Steve at the time), then we just came for the hole in the rock, we didn't know about the other stuff, how did you find out back then? we only knew about the hole because of word of mouth. Anyway, that's still what most people come here fore, and the roads are all bitumen now. So I skipped queuing up for the same photo everyone else was going to get, as I already had that one.

I got some others instead.

Bush walking, WA style.

Don't go hiking in the middle of the day in the Australian summer. Mad dogs and Englishmen only.

The black swan is the bird emblem of WA.

The water looks like a chemical spill at times.

On arrival back a camp there was a mere forty metres of sand to traverse to get the Cruiser back up the camp. I was hoping I could hit it at road tyre pressure, rather than dropping the tyres right down to explore the dunes as we had yesterday searching for a camp spot.

Well unsurprisingly, NO, was the answer to that. Any hard won momentum just evaporates in the sort sand. So 25psi came out of each tyre. You just can’t short cut off road techniques I guess...


Next day we headed up the coast to Kalbarri township. Not before helping this little chap finish crossing the road after he had stalled halfway. Keep your gloves handy people.

Echidna in case you're wondering.

Kalbarri is a nice little fishing/surfing/tourist village, probably just far enough from Perth to lack the millionaire holiday homes and all the better for it. We needed water, laundry and internet. So this would serve nicely for a couple of nights.

Thanks for reading.


Recommended books for Overlanding


Active member
You are seeing some great places. Are you now following the coast north?
Yep. Back to hugging the coast for a while. Weather is mad inland and getting madder it seems for a while. Hope to do the Pilbara before the Kimberley. But whatevs, we’ll just play it all be ear, it’s a pretty good part of the country!


Active member
The Coral Coast.

North-West, West Australia.

Back on the road, we headed east to the North West Coastal Highway. There did appear to be the possibility of some dirt track exploring outside Kalbarri, but the station that would mean crossing had a sign on the gate saying it was shut till April - this seems to be common in WA, I presume it coincides with cooler weather and also fire season (being the time you can have a campfire, hopefully not a bushfire). So only a few hundred km of bitumen and then the last bit of rough corrugated dirt to do today, to get to our next destination. Tamala Station, in the Shark Bay area. Shark Bay is one of 209 (natural) World Heritage Sites, of which there are 12 in Australia.

Shark Bay’s waters, islands and peninsulas....have a number of exceptional natural features, including one of the largest and most diverse seagrass beds in the world. However it is for its stromatolites (colonies of microbial mats that form hard, dome-shaped deposits which are said to be the oldest life forms on earth), that the property is most renowned. The property is also famous for its rich marine life including a large population of dugongs, and provides a refuge for a number of other globally threatened species.

On the way. Someone riding their bike up the coast, and appropriately named roadhouse.

Tamala Station, you got to wonder how the land got divvied up into stations? Because some got some pretty barren landscapes, and others got areas that would qualify as National Park’s these days. Anyway, I’m glad that station owners have realised the benefits of this other income stream (with probably more growth potential than traditional farming) and have opened up their lands to suitably equipped travellers.

Speaking of... Teresa looked concerned at our Land Cruiser, and the lack of anything attached to the tow hitch “oh, you need a chemical toilet to stay here...” “we have one!” I replied with maybe too much enthusiasm, but after carting the thing around for some time now with it hardly ever being used it was good to see the old Boy Scout motto still pays off, be prepared. I knew there were places in WA where these were mandatory, and here we were.

“We have most things, people just don’t expect them all to fit inside” I said, again carrying on a bit much.

As with most, our set up has evolved over a good few years, but it has become more apparent to me on these longer trips we have got most things you could reasonably expect to want/need covered, without towing anything or being horribly overweight:

Ensuite Tent
Two room OzTent
Exped Megamat mattress and bedding
Solar panels
5 x 20L water Jerry cans
Fishing gear, crab pots and rod.
Extensive toolkit
Box of spare parts
Hand winch
Maxtraxs x 4
Highlift Jack
Air compressor
Bow Saw
Trangia stove
Camp (Dutch) Oven
Small fire pit
Kitchen stuff
Chairs x 2
Auxiliary battery
Another box with a small trolley jack, tyre repair kit, inner tubes and various recovery straps, etc.
Large first aid kit.
Clothes and personal gear.
Numerous other small odds and sods that make life that much more comfortable when travelling.
Load retaining net.

As you can see we don’t have a roof rack, so that all packs inside, where it keeps the centre of gravity low, and stays dry and clean. The other benefit is that if we encounter dangerous conditions such as say... a cyclone. Well this can all be removed and we can sleep in the back of the truck.
Anyway, there are a thousand solutions to how you travel in a vehicle, but this is what works for us. Will it stay like this? yes and no. Some of this hasn’t changed in years and probably won’t, but it always evolves. Part of the fun, but also where we go and how we get there has changed too, the set up changes to suit.

Anywho, where were we? Right, so the lovely Teresa from Tamala Station come and said hello to the dogs and explained how to get to our campsite on the station. So we headed out to Three Bays, which would be our home for the next three nights.

Not a bad spot and we had it all to ourselves. There was meant to be another couple here, but we met them a few days later and they changed to somewhere easier to launch their boat from. Great. This was the first camp we have had properly to ourselves since we left South Australia. In the twenty years since we last toured WA, the percentage of the population living here has gone from about 5% to 11% of the total of Australia, and most of them own a 4x4 it would seem. Plus the amount of people touring here has gone through the roof, especially on the coast. Sites that we were literally the onlypeople at back in ‘99 will now have fifty people at them. It is what it is, you just have to hunt out the less obvious.

It certainly felt a bit more like that when we went through the goldfields, and I’m hoping for more of the same through the Pilbara and Kimberley regions. However the interior is back to being too hot for now, so we’ll just have to toughit out on the coast a bit longer...

Options for anchoring thew tent were limited. N suggested I bury a water jerry, worked well.

The next day we took a drive up through the station as suggested by Theresa. Now, see what I mean about pretty...

Family photo on mildly windy beach was amusing.

I tried fishing a bit off the island that afternoon, not before rescuing old mate.

This little fella had tried to follow us the previous day after getting separated from the bigger goats, and I had carried him a few hundred metres down the beach to deter him. Anyway, I didn’t catch anything (surprise!), but I did see sharks, stingrays and my first sea turtle in the wild. So that was cool.


Next day we drove out Edel National Park. Mostly to check out the blowholes and maybe drive out to Steep Point, the most western part of the Australian mainland. Now as I may have harped on before, I’m not really into ticking these boxes, western most point, eastern most point (we were close to this last year, but gave it a miss as we were over east coast retiree hotspots), ‘name tracks’, etc. Some people love ticking those boxes andmaking sure they tell you about it.
However, judging by our station drive yesterday, this might be worth the journey for the views if nothing else.

The road out, Useless Loop Road is mainly to access the closed Useless Loop Townsite, a company town for the saltworks out there (1.4 million tonnes a year!), is no worse than the road to the station.

The first half of Useless Loop's unusual name was bestowed upon it by French explorer Henri-Louis de Saulces de Freycinet, brother of the more famous Louis de Freycinet, during the Baudin expedition to Australia. Henri-Louis dubbed the area "Havre Inutile" ("Useless Harbour"), because he believed the inviting harbour to be entirely blocked by a sandbar
Just before the National Park, is the turn off to Useless Loop mine. Somewhat unsurprisingly, after this turn off the road turns to ****. Severely corrugated, no wonder the Hema map suggests you lower your tire pressures here. Aired down we carry on into the National Park, after paying our $13 entry fee. The road gets worse after the pay station and we turn off to head out to the blowholes.

No doubt amazing when they are blowing but when they are not they are just holes. Anyway we have a drive around the dunes and head back towards Steep Point. I give the corrugations about 3 of the 43km needed to get to the end of the road and call it quits. Neither of us were really feeling this place for some reason, so turning around wasn’t a big deal. We stop to check on a couple with a flat tyre andcollapsed suspension on their boat trailer on the way out. It looks relatively stuffed to me but they repeat, many times, that they are fine and don’t need any help. They sound like they are also expat English, and therefore don’t like to make a fuss...

So we bail back to ‘our bay’ to watch the sun go down.

Last edited:


Active member

The goats were completely at home on the coast, they loved going to the island and would cross there when the tide was low.

So a last goodbye to Teresa and we head back to the bitumen and take the short drive up the other peninsula to the coastal town of Denham.

Is it seems like we are not going anywhere fast, this is because we are in the tail end of not only Australian summer, but also the wet season for north Australia. So the west coast is really our only option at the moment. So if it feels like we are free wheeling, that’s because we are.

Last time it rained in Denham was May last year, so your are issued with a cordless drill on arrival at the campsite (to get the pegs in... hat tip to vbc1_75 from Expedition Portal, who already suggested this), despite this Denham is a nice place to spend a few days.

I actually caught a few fish here (hooray!) but too small to keep and eat.

I got my French bistro on with sausage and lentil salade.

We found this picturesque creek, let’s call it Stonefish Creek, as the lady at the aquarium assured us this was a goodspot to tread on one... So I decided to head out there for a fish. Not before spending an hour or so extracting this couple and their Rav 4 from the soft sand tracks.

They had seen me go down the track to the beach and thought they would do the same. I had stopped once the sand got too soft to let my tyres down, whilst doing this I was able to observe the Rav 4 coming to a halt about 20 metres back, beached on its belly. I could see the driver trying to scoop sand out from behind the wheels, he looked over at me and laughed at his predicament. He kept up the scooping and trying to move the little Toyota, not much for me to do till my tyres were down so I let him sweat it out for a bit, it will make a good story for them afterwards!

As I’m finishing up tyre number 3, he wanders over “you look more professional than me!” he says. I tell him once my tyres are down I’ll come and help them.

A bit more involved than the last time I did this. First thing was to ask his girlfriend to get out of the car and stand off to the side. They were stuck at the end of the track out, so I had to pull them forwards enough to get the Cruiser past so I could drag them back the way they came.

This done the next issue was the angle they were on meant I was pulling them into that fence post. So we used the maxtraxs and shovel to move the Rav a short distance forward so it was more inline with the track out.

Some grey nomads walked over at this point and old mate started to give his ten cents worth... yes, I know about letting the tyres down in sand - but the Rav is having ground clearance issues as it is, the weight is as much on the suspension and chassis as much as it’s on the wheels. So despite claiming his Isuzu wouldn’t have got stuck (helpful) it did help to have someone to stand between the two vehicles. Anyway what we were doing was working. After a while grey nomad said he would continue his walk and if we were still stuck when we got back he would get his vehicle and we could double pull (what!?). Anyway the Rav was pretty much out now. I double tooted my horn to get Andy (in the Rav) to stop, unsure of how much clearance there was to get round the back of the 105. He was back on hard enough ground to reverse out from there.

So car out, no damage done, no one hurt. That’s all that matters. I always worry about recovering on standard tow points.



Active member
As she walked past Andy’s girlfriend stopped to help me pack up the gear and thank me “no more beach driving for a while?” I joked “I told him not to go down there!” she said in exasperation. I laughed “don’t worry every relationship goes through this, my girlfriend is always saying that!” She though that was funny and headed back down the track.
Andy came jogging up, he tried to give me something bag of chips, a bag of carrots and all the money in his wallet ($20). I tried to explain it wasn’t necessary and that’s not really how it works over here. He should just ‘pay it forwards’ help the next person in trouble. Anyway, he was insistent and to save turning a good outcome for all into an argument I let him give me the stuff. Naomi likes salt and vinegar chips anyway.

I fished for a bit and had fish for supper that night, at the pub...

Supposedly Pink Snapper, unique to these highly saline waters. Tasted just like any other fish to me.

We headed out the next day, stopping at a few of the sights on the road out.

Serious 'grammin on Shell beach.

Then a bit further up the coast to a little spot we had been recommended called Gladstone. We would only be here one night as it wasn’t anything special, and either very windy or loads of flies. Although I did catch a few fish up by the jetty, but again too small to keep.


I had contemplated going inland again from here, but a couple of things put that idea on ice for a few days. It was still very hot away from the coast, and there was the small matter of Tropical Cyclone Veronica (Cyclone The Veronicas, for Australian readers...) sitting off the coast about 500km north east of here. That was due to make land in the next few days, so we may as well stay in this west coast till we see what effects she brings to the area.

We had been listening to the ABC radio on AM to keep across what was going on. Always provides some unintended amusement. Like the notification of the cancelled council meeting in one of the affected towns, although the bbq would go ahead as planned. Priorities people!

So on through the town of Carnarvon and up to another recommend spot, funnily enough by the same people, as the Gladstone spot. This is more like it...

Red Bluff is a world renowned (apparently) left had surf break. There were a couple of surfers there, but we didn’t see them in the water. For us it was an awesome clifftop campsite, with our own en-suite toilet. You could watch the sea birds fishing the shoals of baitfish from the camp, and a shark surfing in the waves. We had a little swim/dunk with the dogs but to be honest the power of the swell was a bit much.
Last edited:


Active member

My lens isn't good enough to really capture it. But watching the sea birds fishing was great. The darker birds seemed to almost fly through the water. Obviously not, but they didn't dive the same way the gulls did.

In the above shot you can clearly see the dark mass of the bait fish.

Old mate heads for some shade under the cliffs.

I am Goat. This is my new kingdom. I am master of all of it.

Love being on the edge of a proper ocean. Indian Ocean in this case.

Mister Rollo.



Active member
With my excess of carrots I made Fasolada. Thanks to Travel Eating By Georgia for the inspiration.

I lost four fishing rigs in about four casts (Jeremy Wade, you have nothing to fear...). I think the current was sucking them down under the rock ledge the waves were breaking on. So I gave up on that before it got really expensive.

The Land Cruiser was proving troublesome to start again, and would run a little rough initially. I poked around a bit, but nothing obviously wrong. I’ve got a theory about the valve stem oil seals leaking excessive oil into the engine on initial start up, so I’ll test that the next few days.

Bloody hot the last day to be honest and not much wind, which meant the flies were testing...


Sunrise on the way out, Red Bluff doing its thing.

We headed back to Carnarvon (the road to Red Bluff is no through), back in service I checked the temps in the interior... not too bad. Quickly made the decision we would stock up here and head inland. Hanging out on the coast had been necessary, but it was time for some adventure.

Bertha looking a little high in the back end. Which is what happens when you take out 300kg odd of fuel and water. On our way to restock.

Time to head due east. Into the Pilbara.


New member

My lens isn't good enough to really capture it. But watching the sea birds fishing was great. The darker birds seemed to almost fly through the water. Obviously not, but they didn't dive the same way the gulls did.

In the above shot you can clearly see the dark mass of the bait fish.

Old mate heads for some shade under the cliffs.

I am Goat. This is my new kingdom. I am master of all of it.

Love being on the edge of a proper ocean. Indian Ocean in this case.

Mister Rollo.

The "I am goat" wasn't lost :)