Awnings - Driver or Passenger side mounted?

alia176

Explorer
I've found I prefer to open my tent to the passenger side so the awning is on the driverside. It's also more convenient for me when traveling solo since I naturally access the truck from the driverside more often. Eliminates the need to walk around to the opposite side of the truck so much. But like others mentioned, I don't know that there's any right or wrong answer. I'm totally confused by the comment regarding passenger side mounting so that it opens "toward camp" when parked. Is there some parking direction camp etiquette I'm not aware of?

I was in the same boat, as in huh?

I read that most established campsites are designed in a certain way that favors passenger side mounting. I haven't really observed or paid attention much -- and majority of my camping has always been dispersed/primitive/solo so there is no parking etiquette to abide by... Heck I even put my potty setup to get the best view!

I know that in this country, all RVs have doors on the pass side, hence the assumption that awnings should open to the pass side. I also learned that all liquid and electrical connections are on the driver side of RVs and all campgrounds are setup that way! I learned all this while camping with a buddy at Slickrock campground couple of years back.

Maybe that's my problem, I avoid established campsites at all costs. Carry on.
I'm with you Adam, just avoid the whole shebang. :)

Ahem, answering the OP's question, my awning is setup on the driver side due to the reasons mentioned already. If/when I get a 270 deg dealio, I'll prolly stick it on the driver side as well. The spare tire swings to the passenger side and this config makes for a logical coverage with the spare acting like a kitchen wall, so to speak. My fridge is mounted directly behind the driver seat so everything in my world seems to exist on the driver side for some reason.

barnsey

I started out with one & ended up with three, works great with my setup & its great to have some extra shade, I also have screen enclosure rooms that attatch to both side awnings during summer if there are lots of bugs around :)
bridle track phone pics 107.jpg
bridle track hill end.jpg

MOAK

Adventurer
Interesting thread... our awning is on the drivers side. Primarily because we have a solar panel up top and when parked at camp point the cruzer toward the south/southwest. That puts the awning on the eastern side of the rig creating a lot more shade. IMG_0372.jpg

lugueto

Adventurer
I have mine on the driver's side.

I'd never given it much thought to it. Now that I do, it makes sense: I can open it as soon as I step out of the truck and my tailgate swings to the passenger side, so I don't have to walk around it to grab something from the cargo area if I'm under the shade.

I wouldn't think it'd be particularly bothersome to have it on either side. I'd love myself a 270 degree awning too.

richmondbob

Adventurer
After I re-spray my Hannibal rack and awning (hardware) I'll try the driver-side mount orientation. Thanks, everyone.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I bought a driver-side 270 degree awning for the Jeep because of the direction of the rear door swing (as mentioned above). It worked. Now the awing is being moved to a van, and the sliding door is on the passenger side. Bummer. To be fair the awning isn't long enough to cover the sliding door opening anyway. Solution? I'm going to buy another driver's side 270 degree awning and mount it on the passenger side...on the front of the van. So. My answer is going to be "all four sides". :)

alia176

Explorer
I bought a driver-side 270 degree awning for the Jeep because of the direction of the rear door swing (as mentioned above). It worked. Now the awing is being moved to a van, and the sliding door is on the passenger side. Bummer. To be fair the awning isn't long enough to cover the sliding door opening anyway. Solution? I'm going to buy another driver's side 270 degree awning and mount it on the passenger side...on the front of the van. So. My answer is going to be "all four sides". :)

Pics or it didn't happen!!!!

alia176

Explorer
I upgraded to a Batwing and tried it out on the recent NMBDR trail ride through NM (https://ridebdr.com/NMBDR). Since this is a 270deg unit, it was truly a game changer for me. When you have two of these units parked next to each other, it's party city under the awning during a rain storm!!! You no longer have to exist under a 180deg awning, rather, you can now move around the vehicle from the rear to the side. My fridge lives behind the driver seat and the tailgate is the kitchen so this solution is spot on for my needs. My buddy has a Shadow Awning by AluCab on his 200 series LC, which is a stellar unit, no question. I found the deployment of the Batwing to be easier for one person vs the Ironman 4x4 180deg pullout awning I have. My buddy used to have a Foxwing but he has since moved to the Shadow Awning and loves it very much.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much but wanted to plug the Batwing as a potential option for some of you. Ask Santa for one!

The third guy in the pic who has a '86 4Runner will be getting one after our last trip together. He was on the fence but after sitting through couple of rain storms under the awnings, he is sold.

second night camping FOR WEB.jpgLunch spot in the Gila FOR WEB.jpg

Last edited:

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I prefer the pass side for the East Coast beaches.

As long as your rear is towards the surf, as the sun sets its over your windshield and drivers side, makes for more shade that way.

bd7626220cd069d9409fe997f8542735.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles