Awning room with wood stove

reaper229

Pretty much done,i am waiting for the G-stove now,here my awesome carboard stove
6d9b4a2f6d23081c4fe631dd75701d4f.jpg
40ba558be97993b4958871b7e44cd22f.jpg
679ae7b1e61b91254a9c7ba04d058274.jpg
4c55914c83ab2a88683ce46eb52267da.jpg
4e59f3f0af320a80aeb29f06cd5e349b.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
I'd create a shield to sit behind that. say a fold up double walled (air space between) piece of tin or aluminum. Maybe a ductwork place can bend you up each wall halfs easily and you can just pop rivet it together if it saves you a good bit of coinage over there spot welding it all together. Granted just some corrugated metal on a hinge might work too. With that in mind a few bolts with extra nuts or a 0.25? spacer to great the double wall and you could do it all yourself. Just gotta figure out how to deal with sharp edges though.

Suggest this cause betting awning room material is not intended to be as fire resistant as tents from manufacture that knows a stove will sit in them. Tent fires are massively fast..... make sure you have a clear path to exits including right thru the Jeep side and back.

reaper229

I'd create a shield to sit behind that. say a fold up double walled (air space between) piece of tin or aluminum. Maybe a ductwork place can bend you up each wall halfs easily and you can just pop rivet it together if it saves you a good bit of coinage over there spot welding it all together. Granted just some corrugated metal on a hinge might work too. With that in mind a few bolts with extra nuts or a 0.25? spacer to great the double wall and you could do it all yourself. Just gotta figure out how to deal with sharp edges though.

Suggest this cause betting awning room material is not intended to be as fire resistant as tents from manufacture that knows a stove will sit in them. Tent fires are massively fast..... make sure you have a clear path to exits including right thru the Jeep side and back.
I agree with you for the shield wall behind it,i was looking at it and have some heavy winds and the tent's wall was flopping around near the back of the stove so i will need to look at this and find a solution.

roving1

A welding blanket like harbor freight sells is a good solution and it is flexible and easy to pack. I used one so I could keep my buddy heater on the ground so in a cot in the annex you could feel some heat. But a good gust of wind might get than wall to close to the output. I purposely pushed the tent in over the heater with the pegs pulled and after 30 minutes nothing was making it past the welding blanket to the annex wall.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html

reaper229

A welding blanket like harbor freight sells is a good solution and it is flexible and easy to pack. I used one so I could keep my buddy heater on the ground so in a cot in the annex you could feel some heat. But a good gust of wind might get than wall to close to the output. I purposely pushed the tent in over the heater with the pegs pulled and after 30 minutes nothing was making it past the welding blanket to the annex wall.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html
Thanks man

reaper229

Did something similar this fall with my Foxwing...nice job!

View attachment 498225
Looking nice,pictures of the inside?

Some pictures of mine this weekend.Got a lot of snow so this kind of set-up need some cares because snow load on the awning is not good and can cause some damages.If it were a big snow strom i think this set-up will not be the best,i prefer my ultralight tipi and titanium stove with this kind of weather(a lot of snow)
63515dd73263ebbb882ba8f05baf5763.jpg
ee8b3329e40e66ac38ad7cace08d12bf.jpg
4594d7709f2fd44c0b86835866e4b12e.jpg
4f588e4d187da764ca8ec5125ef17590.jpg
a7f43cb9c1a752205774f677ceb4237a.jpg
ee6da8e312d6e0ed7ab7af515fe2f760.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Stumbled across this as I was doing some research on what i want to do for a heating solution this coming winter. It was up between a lightweight wood stove or a diesel heater. I have a CVT Summit Series RTT. I called and asked CVT what the material was exactly I was told that it 380g poly cotton rip-stop canvas Besides being UV protected and mold resistant, she said there is some fire resistance to it but couldn't give me a definite yes due to liability (understandable).

I am thinking about a SeekOutside or Kifaru stove with some sort of base and backstop/heatshield. The welding blanket seems like a great idea, just have to figure a way to secure it in place. As far as stove jack, I spole with Montana Canvas back in Belgrade and they have a stove jack with flap that would work well for this purpose. I would be installing the stove jack on the side of the RTT annex room and route up at a 45 as what is shown here. I wasnt sure if I would need some sort of external support to hold the stove pipe but it looks like it is pretty stable in the previous photos. A friend had mentioned a double layer stove pipe with a gap between the two to create a buffer of sorts that would maybe be safer for the inside of the tent?

Anyway, What has your experience been since this thread was last updated? Your setup looks great. Now to figure out how to sew
Hi folks

I have an ARB awning with a room and i would like to use it with a portable wood stove,i want to sew a stove jack on a wall but not sure.I would like to see some ideas/pictures.

I have a DIY titanium stove than i use for hunting in my tipi.

4f1d8a4c71c47c1691b00fc064a79789.jpg
d5af1223bb6aa171d0c55cd183cd75c1.jpg
5418d7a1bf7721f6c3acdd5d21402167.jpg
3f8664936a5f2ca9da583ba360d49192.jpg
309a9b81dfd13eed5c8f84fd029f37f0.jpg
e20d04c0b97605136f78b650a8617d55.jpg
25eda8b44ccfc10e85e93be39df4fffc.jpg

Stumbled across this as I was doing some research on what i want to do for a heating solution this coming winter. It was up between a lightweight wood stove or a diesel heater. I have a CVT Summit Series RTT. I called and asked CVT what the material was exactly I was told that it 380g poly cotton rip-stop canvas Besides being UV protected and mold resistant, she said there is some fire resistance to it but couldn't give me a definite yes due to liability (understandable).

I am thinking about a SeekOutside or Kifaru stove with some sort of base and backstop/heatshield. The welding blanket seems like a great idea, just have to figure a way to secure it in place. As far as stove jack, I spoke with Montana Canvas back in Belgrade and they have a stove jack with flap that would work well for this purpose. I would be installing the stove jack on the side of the RTT annex room and route up at a 45 as what is shown here. I wasn't sure if I would need some sort of external support to hold the stove pipe but it looks like it is pretty stable in the previous photos. A friend had mentioned a double layer stove pipe with a gap between the two to create a buffer of sorts that would maybe be safer for the inside of the tent?

Anyway, What has your experience been since this thread was last updated? Your setup looks great. Now to figure out how to sew, cut and seam seal the stove jack in or where to look for a professional to do it right the first time lol

Thanks!

reaper229

So easy.
It was great the time I had it,the thing is you need a 45° or 90° angle pipe for it,it's difficult to do with a seekoutside or kifaru stove pipe.Overall it was great.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
So easy.
It was great the time I had it,the thing is you need a 45° or 90° angle pipe for it,it's difficult to do with a seekoutside or kifaru stove pipe.Overall it was great.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Excellent! Did you notice anything out of the ordinary as far as the tent walls being abnormally hot or anything like that? I talked to SeekOutside and they said that they've heard of folks using 45 or 90 elbows for their stoves to accomplish what is done here. Also, what did you use for the foundation/base plate?

thanks again for the reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior