AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, any plans to flat tow your Jeep rig with the Sprinter?

Good to see you back, my friend.

It would indeed work to tow the XV-JP with the Sprinter. We've got a well-constructed tow setup, and flat towing is easier duty than trailer towing. That said, though, the considerable weight of the XV-JP would make it a slog.

My better choice would be to tow our WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee. That truck's nowhere near as trail-equipped, but it does have plenty of capability to do most any road you'd be on with non-enthusiasts while being just fine on a freeway or in a shopping mall parking lot. So a common scenario would be for me to stay camped in the Sprinter while the other party takes the GC to see Another Roadside Attraction.

In some situations, I expect I'll take a street-legal moto on my Joe Hauler hitch, like I did with the first Sprinter. Plenty of strength with the way Upscale fabricated the hitch. The XR600R is the most likely, but the Big Ruckus is excellent for pavement (and holds two) and the Trail 90 is fine as a run-around-the-campground option.

So, lots of choices and lots of flexibility to choose based on the trip to be made.

In practice, though, the most frequent setup will be the Sprinter by itself. The Sprinter's competent on unpaved roads and being just 18.5 feet LOA, it works fine in traffic, so it can go to town just about as well as the Jeeps. Plus, with all the facilities inside, I don't usually mind going along and waiting out the shopping or sightseeing by hanging in the van. As you know, this one-vehicle approach works with small vans because the only thing you need to do to change the van from camping to driving is unplug the electrical. Disconnect the one shorepower plug and you're good to go.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1040785.JPG

(above) Next up, the driver-side wall cabinet roll-up doors...

The goal is to have the doors slide up and down smoothly...to do that better than painted wood on painted wood, plastic countertop (Formica) scraps (P-lam) are contact cemented to the inner door wood face...A plywood lower stop block is nailed to the case...

P1040786.JPG

(above) Candle wax is the lube on the inner tambour fabric...

P1040787.JPG

(above) ...and on the P-lam strips...

P1040788.JPG

(above) ...and on the case-side runners...

P1040789.JPG

(above) Two pin nails hold the runners to the case until minor thickness adjustments are made, then the runners get screwed to to the case...

P1040790.JPG

(above) The P-lam runners stand tall...

P1040791.JPG

(above) Heat gun on high for thirty seconds...Always moving the gun...!!!...It's 900 degrees...!!!...

P1040792.JPG

(above) Then as fast as you can say "melting paraffin", the P-lam relaxes...

P1040793.JPG

(above) ...it really relaxes...When cooled the P-lam is the top tambour guide...It helps the smooth flow of the door in the track...

P1040794.JPG

(above) Masking tape keeps the P-lam bent until it cools...

P1040795.JPG

(above) 1/4" Plywood ceiling backing also serves to keep the P-lam in place...

P1040796.JPG

(above) The extra P-lam length is cut off...Done...

P1040797.JPG

(above) The case is flipped to do some touch-up painting...

P1040798.JPG

(above) And over on the work table the fold-over table is routered, sanded and epoxied...

Abitibi

Explorer
Very nice work Paul! Sometimes it seems you over-complicate your builds but it ends up being very unique and original :)
Just like everyone else I end up picking up bits of knowledge or ideas along the way so thanks for not building "off the shelf" style...

Those look like Blusea switch panels... Good stuff!

Cheers
Mr. D

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1040799.JPG

(above) In between work, I'm configuring an I-pad...This is a test screen shot...

P1040800.JPG

(above) The driver-side uppers are in place...It reveals the fine tuning that needs to happen...Sliding doors in contact with the steel ribs...Fabric will cover the ribs...

P1040801.JPG

(above) Upper cabinets almost ready to be permanent...

P1040802.JPG

(above) No need for a stainless steel trim plate that costs more than the microwave cooker when the tolerances are close to even...The stop to keep it from flying will be a piece of ply...

P1040803.JPG

(above) Between squalls, the satellite radio antenna was set on the roof...

P1040804.JPG

(above) Back in the shop the drawers were positioned awaiting the hold closed drawer guides...

P1040805.JPG

(above) I quit counting coats days ago...

P1040806.JPG

(above) In Japan next month these will get framed and find new homes...

P1040807.JPG

(above) These rolled photos will remain in Japan...

P1040808.JPG

(above) The wall fabric came in....

P1040809.JPG

(above) Over the plywood screwed every 3.5" is 1/4" foam contact-cemented on...

P1040810.JPG

(above) Aerosol contact cement is easy...

P1040811.JPG

(above) Finished wall fabric...

P1040812.JPG

(above) Only another hour more and this is ready for permanency...

P1040813.JPG

(above) At this point, two coats a day is easy...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
...Paul! Sometimes it seems you over-complicate your builds ...

Cheers
Mr. D

I notice that too...

The thing is, I try to exceed my friends expectations...I really don't plan too much into it, it just happens and those like Mike appreciate the time invested and offer me the opportunity to do it like this, once...

I've done simpler and to do it like this is just as easy when you've got competency...Not much more than that is necessary...

Watch the film Amadeus and listen to the thing about Mozart creating "too many" notes...How I feel on the good days...

I love that I'm lucky enough to do this kind of stuff everyday and that I never wake up dreading the day...Life is alright...

Back in the shop tomorrow to finish what I can...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1040815.JPG

(above) That hour to fine tune the driver-side upper cabinet was used to sand, drill for lights and spray on a final coat of paint...

P1040816.JPG

(above) Reading lights...Nice that the switches are on the fixtures...There will be three over the bed/sofa, and one over the fridge...

P1040817.JPG

(above) Got the call that the tanks were in...The local RV shop ordered them for me...

Next, I went to specific part stores for the inlet and drain fittings, hoses, sealant, new drill bits, etc. This is not an area for any kind of shortcuts...New parts, new tools...

P1040818.JPG

(above) The tanks loosely fit in the cabinet...

With the tanks placed, supports and stops were built onto the cabinet...The clearances are small, but that's nothing new...More tomorrow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier