Anyone with a Ram1500 with the Pentastar 3.6?

Clutch

<---Pass
Curious if any of you are driving a 3.6 V6 in a Ram 1500. How has your experience been? Is it adequate for your needs? How does it tow? How does it off-road? And what's your MPG? Thanks.

Ha ha! Dude you sound like me...looking at every friggen option out there.

I looked at the Rams too...seem fine, and can be found pretty cheap. We live just a couple miles from a Ram dealer that has the best prices in the country.

Think they are going to be like the Ford or GM NA V6, specs are real close to a Tacoma V6, power, towing and payload...and for a hell of a lot cheaper. My thinking is to treat it like a midsize and it will be fine. I see some guys on this thread doing the typical American thing ...has to have the most power, or you're or not going to be happy, yadda yadda ya...that is rubbish. Most trucks run empty 98% of the time, haul some light duty stuff on the weekends...and the occasional long camping trip a couple times a year. Compared to my Tacoma, thought engine had a hell of a lot spunk and was quite zippy. And I have been driving under powered Toyotas for 26 years now, the Ram felt like a rocketship in comparison

Not that resale is a huge concern for me, but that thought lingers in the back of my head when looking at domestics. A couple few years down the road, an old roached out Tacoma will still get you a grip of cash...any of the Big 3 on their last leg is going to be worth next to nothing. Though I have been finding Rams $10K less than a V6 Taco. So it all probably works out in the end.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha! Dude you sound like me...looking at every friggen option out there.

I looked at the Rams too...seem fine, and can be found pretty cheap. We live just a couple miles from a Ram dealer that has the best prices in the country.

Think they are going to be like the Ford or GM NA V6, specs are real close to a Tacoma V6, power, towing and payload...and for a hell of a lot cheaper. My thinking is to treat it like a midsize and it will be fine. I see some guys on this thread doing the typical American thing ...has to have the most power, or you're or not going to be happy, yadda yadda ya...that is rubbish. Most trucks run empty 98% of the time, haul some light duty stuff on the weekends...and the occasional long camping trip a couple times a year. Compared to my Tacoma, thought engine had a hell of a lot spunk and was quite zippy. And I have been driving under powered Toyotas for 26 years now, the Ram felt like a rocketship in comparison

Not that resale is a huge concern for me, but that thought lingers in the back of my head when looking at domestics. A couple few years down the road, an old roached out Tacoma will still get you a grip of cash...any of the Big 3 on their last leg is going to be worth next to nothing. Though I have been finding Rams $10K less than a V6 Taco. So it all probably works out in the end.

Thanks. I think whether I go V6 vs V8, domestic vs Toyota, etc. it will all even out in the end. The only thing I wish the Ram had was a rear locker option, like the Ford. I like the Ford as well, but I am finding Ram's for much cheaper. And honestly, I like the looks a bit better.

What is the dealership near you? I may have to look at their inventory.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks. I think whether I go V6 vs V8, domestic vs Toyota, etc. it will all even out in the end. The only thing I wish the Ram had was a rear locker option, like the Ford. I like the Ford as well, but I am finding Ram's for much cheaper. And honestly, I like the looks a bit better.

What is the dealership near you? I may have to look at their inventory.

You're welcome.

Very good friend of mine has the 5.7, it felt almost "too much" to me. But he has to tow a toyhauler. Which he probably uses 4 times a year, most of the time the truck is empty. Other than hauling dirt bikes.

Dennis Dillon, they do some gonga deals on the diesels, see a lot of guys fly in and drive it home.

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new-inventory/index.htm

Not seeing any 4WD's on there at the moment, but the end of last year saw a couple RC and double cabs sub $25K. They have a couple RC 2WD's under $18K...damn that is great deal! Hard to believe you can get a pickup sub $20K these days.

Could always call them and see what the best they'll do, as they move a of a lot of inventory.

Not Dennis Dillon but found this, sub $24K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719924289/overview/

Screen shot incase the link gets broken.

Screen shot 2018-02-01 at 11.38.jpg

Last edited:

js9234

Observer
The "typical American thing" comment was a little over the top. The Pentastar has 269 ft lbs of torque for a big truck. I just think that's inadequate. But, it's just a personal opinion like I said. I would think he's gonna have to special order a truck just to get the V6 in the configuration he wants. I agree about Dennis Dillon. Best Ram prices in the U.S. I've dealt with them in the past and their prices are great and the salesman are probably some of the least annoying salesman I've ever dealt with.

Clutch

<---Pass
The "typical American thing" comment was a little over the top. The Pentastar has 269 ft lbs of torque for a big truck. I just think that's inadequate. But, it's just a personal opinion like I said. I would think he's gonna have to special order a truck just to get the V6 in the configuration he wants. I agree about Dennis Dillon. Best Ram prices in the U.S. I've dealt with them in the past and their prices are great and the salesman are probably some of the least annoying salesman I've ever dealt with.

Nah it isn't ;) :D It gets applied to anything and everything in 'Murica. This constant march of bigger is better seems to be never ending, it is why the humble pickup has grown to such massive proportions. Remember when a guy only needed simple regular cab pickup? Look at them now...good lord, be afraid to haul a load of gravel in 90% of them that are on the road now-a-days. Too pretty...try to climb into it covered in mud, concrete, drywall, or saw dust...and fear about ruining the interior. man, what has happened to trucks!? ;) :)

I have driven the V6...more than enough if you keep it light. physcle and I have very similar needs, both live in mountainous states. Need something to run back and forth to work during the week, and haul a couple trail machines on the weekend. Toss on a topper and camp out of it, nothing too-too crazy...keep it bone stock. I have been doing that in a 220tq/190hp Tacoma for the past 16 years, and before that is was 116hp/140tq Toyota Pickup. The Ram would be more than adequate. I used to have a F250, and downsized years ago. The new half tons are pretty damn amazing compared to the the 3/4 tons of the 70's & 80's...even ones with the the little NA V6. Which the majority of the empty bed trucks I see running around would be fine with, but no...people want the biggest, the baddest, the most powerful to basically to run to the grocery store. Shoot that is what I do, since I no longer work construction. Not even sure if I even need a truck anymore.

Heck, a Subaru Forester would work...but the mpg's aren't the greatest I am discovering...and you loose a bit of utility going with a wagon over a pickup.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Clutch - Thanks. I'll look at Dennis Dillon's site. I think I have given up on the pursuit of the Forester. I "think" I can live without the truck bed. But that lack of low range is probably my hang up. Too many potential gnarly roads that the Ram would walk right up in 4L and I'd be burning up the tires, bouncing up in the Forester. Plus, even though I can get a trailer, the truck bed is pretty nice to have.

js9234 - you're right, I will probably have to order one. It would be pretty tough finding one I want with all of the options (or lack thereof).

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch - Thanks. I'll look at Dennis Dillon's site. I think I have given up on the pursuit of the Forester. I "think" I can live without the truck bed. But that lack of low range is probably my hang up. Too many potential gnarly roads that the Ram would walk right up in 4L and I'd be burning up the tires, bouncing up in the Forester. Plus, even though I can get a trailer, the truck bed is pretty nice to have.

You're welcome. Believe I have given up on the Subies too. After combing through Fuelly looking mpg numbers...not seeing much gains over a pickup. Another thing I forget, mainly because I haven't been on the dirt bike since early November, a truck is awfully nice to go fetch broken down or out of fuel bikes. I have gotten into some gnarly places with the Tacoma getting broken down bikes over the years.

I would test drive the V6 Ram and see if it is enough for you. I drove that and the Ford, they were plenty for me, may not be enough for others. I also think the 4 banger Tacoma is enough for 98% of the things I do too, so there is that...I know I am in the minority.

A thought: for that 5000lbs. trailer you have to tow once a year, could always rent something. I know Enterprise rents 3/4 ton trucks here.

Oh, the extra cab on the Ford felt like it had more rear leg room than the extra cab on the Ram (can't remember what each company calls their version...all extra cabs to me)...have spent some time in my buddies Ram and it causes me to cramp up.

phsycle

Adventurer
You're welcome. Believe I have given up on the Subies too. After combing through Fuelly looking mpg numbers...not seeing much gains over a pickup. Another thing I forget, mainly because I haven't been on the dirt bike since early November, a truck is awfully nice to go fetch broken down or out of fuel bikes. I have gotten into some gnarly places with the Tacoma getting broken down bikes over the years.

I would test drive the V6 Ram and see if it is enough for you. I drove that and the Ford, they were plenty for me, may not be enough for others. I also think the 4 banger Tacoma is enough for 98% of the things I do too, so there is that...I know I am in the minority.

A thought: for that 5000lbs. trailer you have to tow once a year, could always rent something. I know Enterprise rents 3/4 ton trucks here.

Oh, the extra cab on the Ford felt like it had more rear leg room than the extra cab on the Ram (can't remember what each company calls their version...all extra cabs to me)...have spent some time in my buddies Ram and it causes me to cramp up.

Good thought on the rental. That gives me an option at least. But I’d think the V6 will handle it fine. Towing’s more about the chassis anyway.

I looked at the Forester MPG. With the lift and tires, I’d probably be 25-27MPG. That’s not far off from the Ram. And considering the Ram has bigger tires stock than what I can fit in the Forester. I’m betting I can get 24mpg from that V6, maybe more.

And if I go that route, I’d probably get the crew cab. Tradesman, 32gallon tank, and a couple options, I’ll be all set.

Clutch

<---Pass
Good thought on the rental. That gives me an option at least. But I'd think the V6 will handle it fine. Towing's more about the chassis anyway.

I looked at the Forester MPG. With the lift and tires, I'd probably be 25-27MPG. That's not far off from the Ram. And considering the Ram has bigger tires stock than what I can fit in the Forester. I'm betting I can get 24mpg from that V6, maybe more.

And if I go that route, I'd probably get the crew cab. Tradesman, 32gallon tank, and a couple options, I'll be all set.

For once a year think the Ram will be fine too. It has a towing capacity of 6800 lbs, it won't win any races, but it will do it. Payload isn't bad either at 1700 lbs. (that is if I am reading their spec page right)

Guessing if you lift the Subaru and bigger tires that the milage will take a nose dive. They aren't as good as I thought http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester/2017 Was hoping over 30, but seems to be pretty rare.

A truck is pretty much ready to go stock, won't have to do much...maybe a set of tougher tires.

32 gallon tank sure would be nice, beats the teeny 15 gallon in my Tacoma. Would only have to fill it twice a month instead of twice a week. Maybe that is what I need to start looking at, something with a bigger tank, instead of better gas mileage. Other than trying to save money, thing that bugs me the most is having to be at the gas station twice an **********' week.

Last edited:

03dodge2500

Just my two cents for anyone else considering the 3.6. I have 4 of the 1500 as work truck. All four have been to dealership for warranty work. All four have been misfires. ( stuck lifter, galled rocker, bad injector, they had to replace cam on the last one as well)
All of the truck were around 65-75k miles when they developed the misfire. All of them 14-15 rams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Just my two cents for anyone else considering the 3.6. I have 4 of the 1500 as work truck. All four have been to dealership for warranty work. All four have been misfires. ( stuck lifter, galled rocker, bad injector, they had to replace cam on the last one as well)
All of the truck were around 65-75k miles when they developed the misfire. All of them 14-15 rams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. That is surely in the back of my mind. I wonder if they worked out the kinks in the '16+ Rams? Hope so.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think your hopes and dream of mid to upper 20's fuel estimates with the V-6 are a pipe dream in reality, but that's just me. Most trucks do well just to hit the numbers on the window sticker every once in a while let alone exceed them and it usually requires you to drive like a granny in order to hit those estimates.

I agree with the others, I'd find a stripped down Tradesman with the 5.7L, you'll have better power, better resale, and better availability when looking to purchase.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think your hopes and dream of mid to upper 20's fuel estimates with the V-6 are a pipe dream in reality, but that's just me. Most trucks do well just to hit the numbers on the window sticker every once in a while let alone exceed them and it usually requires you to drive like a granny in order to hit those estimates.

I agree with the others, I'd find a stripped down Tradesman with the 5.7L, you'll have better power, better resale, and better availability when looking to purchase.

I agree high 20's---not likely. But I bet I can do mid-20's, or at least close to. Even if I got 24mpg, that would be fantastic. And its power is plenty enough. I drive a V6 now and it does what I need. I'm not looking for mega towing power; otherwise, I would definitely be looking at V8's.
But for right now, I think I am moving on from this platform. Just window shopping.

justbecause

perpetually lost

I agree with the others, I'd find a stripped down Tradesman with the 5.7L, you'l
l have better power, better resale, and better availability when looking to purchase.

bringing this back up.
I'm looking for 4 door (dont care extended or crew) ram with the 6.4' bed. Almost every single 6 ft bed truck has the v6. The v8s in my price range have significantly more miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94