Anyone own a small D/S bike?

805gregg

Adventurer
Bothe Honda and Yamaha have 230-250 street legal dual sport out now, if you want a new bike check them out.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Arggg

That's the 96th time that the TW200 has come into my consciousness in a week. I'd never paid any attention to them before now. A guy on a local hunting forum has one for sale and I'm learning how handy they are for hunting and commuting. They seem to have quite a following... I think need to buy one. The question is... "Do I pay $2000 for a fifteen year old one or $4000 for a new one?"

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The TW is a nice little bike...$2K seems a bit steep to me, though...I've always thought the big fat rear tire makes it corner kinda wierd...

-H-

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
The TW is a nice little bike...$2K seems a bit steep to me, though...I've always thought the big fat rear tire makes it corner kinda wierd...

-H-

Agreed on all points.

The fat tire can be chained up though which can be a real help when things get snotty.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Wunderlich makes tire chains for my GS....:D

If you're riding a moto with chains....:bowdown:

-H-

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
lowenbrau said:
Arggg

That's the 96th time that the TW200 has come into my consciousness in a week. I'd never paid any attention to them before now. A guy on a local hunting forum has one for sale and I'm learning how handy they are for hunting and commuting. They seem to have quite a following... I think need to buy one. The question is... "Do I pay $2000 for a fifteen year old one or $4000 for a new one?"

Well, whatever you do, DON'T go to this web site:

http://tw200forum.com

The TW is either a love it or hate it thing. I think they're cool as hell with their fat tires but a lot of "experienced" dirt bikers say they're terrible. Of course, I find it hard to believe people would keep buying the same bike for 21 years if it wasn't pretty good at doing what it does! Never ridden one but I really, really want to try it!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I just bought a 2004 Suzuki DR200SE for my first bike. My first choice was a Super Sherpa but they're scarce around here and the one that did come up for sale on craigslist was snapped up in minutes. XT225/DR200 were next in line. I replaced the battery after getting stranded round the corner from my house yesterday and now everything is rosy. My initial impression is its a lot of fun to ride slow. At 50 MPH I'm feeling those good vibrations, if you get the drift.

Cheers,
Graham

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Personally, I find the 250 class air cooled machines a little underpowered if you have ANY intention on doing freeway miles. Sometimes you need a little reserve power to help get you out of trouble. On secondary highways and such, they're fine.

I have a WR250F which is the enduro bike, which I have blue plated. I've had it up to 80mph and it was still pulling. You'll run out of guts or revs before it runs out of power. I got this because I wanted to do some enduro and hare scramble competitions. It's street plated, but street use is pretty limited. It's like taking a thoroughbred for a trot.

The new Yamaha WR250R and X are nice bikes. They have much more power than the older air cooled machines. Those are a great option. Otherwise, I'd recommend the DRZ400S. But, if I was going to do that, I'd just get a DR650 instead.

It's really like the AT/MT tire debate. There is no perfect compromise bike. If you want to be competent on trails, you'll have to settle for a bike that is incompetent on the freeway, and vice versa. The only possible exception is an advanced 250 like the WR250R or a KTM. And don't forget, it's not just the power that's at issue. Comfort is a big part of it. Most of the higher performance bikes have narrow seats. You don't want to ride a razor blade for 2+ hours. The bigger bikes are really heavy on the trails.

wild1

Adventurer
200 tw

We have been hauling a tw200 around for the last three years on our camper for short excursions. We have put about 1500 miles on it, mixed hiway and dirt roading in Montana, arizona, and Baja. It is tough, economical and dependable. It is not a traditional dirt bike but if you take things slow it is very capable. On the hiway it works a lot better at Baja speeds then in the US but will cruise at 50 to 55 with stock gearing two up.

Howard70

Adventurer
Kawasaki KLX250s, TW200, WR250R

Hello:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but another option to add to the suggestions is the Kawasaki KLX250s. I've been riding one since January (80 mile roundtrip commute to work & some weekend dualsport trips). Gas mileage form 60 to 68 mpg, comfortable at 65, can go 70 - 75 but not a freeway machine.

Water cooled, comfortable position for me (6' 185lb) but potentially tall for 5'10" or less.

At least two good forums with lots of information:

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forumid_69/tt.htm

and

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591&highlight=250s+review

We also have a TW200. I ride them both, but the KLX fits me better. The TW200 is a far superior trail bike if you like "Tread Lightly" trail bike riding. For commuting and dual sporting I favor the KLX. With a 5.10 x 18" rear tire I can keep the wheel spin down and feel like I'm approaching the TW200's low impact.

However, if I was starting over again today I'd definitely get the new Yamaha WR250R. More power for the highway, fuel injected with mileage approaching the low 70's, and an apparently well built engine (valve adjustment intervals over 20k miles!). The only problems look to be price and the relatively poor low end power - not an issue unless the Tread Lightly ethos is important to you.

Howard L. Snell

preacherman

Explorer
I have my eye on a KLR250 locally. It's a 86 with 21K for $900 does that seem high?

I am looking for a "1st bike" to explore on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94