An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Why wouldn´t you fit them on a 90"?

Wolfgang bought a 90" last year when he started building the prototype and he´s just going for a 100" wheelbase because he wants to run it in the Dresden-Breslau, where a 90" is slightly short at times.

The price, bearing in mind what a used Volvo C303 axle currently costs, is not too bad. Drop him a line or give him a call, but don´t distract him too much until he´s done with mine, will you please? :)

And it´s: www.killeraxles.com

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
So, in time for the weekend the rear Salisbury axles is almost completed....

3688144.jpg

3688146.jpg

3688147.jpg

3688148.jpg

3688149.jpg

3688218.jpg

As you can see on bolt pattern on the drop box, they are fully interchangeable (eiter side and either axle).

Next week the front axle will be ready and then it will come to installing them on the 130CC.

I will keep you updated.

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nice, real nice. Rotor clearance is pretty tight though?

That's one solution to places like here where, year after year the ruts in the trail just get hogged out deeper and deeper. There's a tire size arms-race, and mutually assured stuck-tion.

Oilworker

Explorer
Keith, I will upload a few more images showing where the CTIS is connected. It will be installed when the axles are being fitted under the 130.
I am currently trying to find some HD coil springs that are about 2" longer than the standard, maybe you´ve got a suggestion?
And have you made any underbody protection for Defenders yet? Gearbox and rear tank?

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Here you can see the inside and outside of the drop box with the CTIS connector in place...

3691504.jpg

3691505.jpg

These are not the final connectors, we just mounted them to show where they are.

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
It looks fantastic Robert!

For springs? are you looking for fronts or rears? I have had good luck with Rovertym springs, keep in mind their advertised lift is normally a bit aggressive meaning that a 2" lift will yield 2.5". I'm not sure about actual spring lengths though. I run rovertym(.com) springs on all of my trucks these days.
For the rear I have not fooled around with too many springs, An OME HD 110 rear spring yields about 2" to 3"
This site has a good spreadsheet style comparison of the OME springs.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.php

Under body protection I don't make, I have had good luck with Matt at Rockware.net and Safari Equip ($$$!!!)

Most transmission protection utilises a simple skid plate attached to the transmission crossmember, seems that it would be easy to make.

Looking forwar to more progress pics!

Keith

Keith, I will upload a few more images showing where the CTIS is connected. It will be installed when the axles are being fitted under the 130.
I am currently trying to find some HD coil springs that are about 2" longer than the standard, maybe you´ve got a suggestion?
And have you made any underbody protection for Defenders yet? Gearbox and rear tank?

So long,

Robert

LandyAndy

Adventurer
For an expo vehicle you can't go wrong with OME springs & dampers. Top quality and you'll find them under plenty of other expo trucks... from landy's to yota's.

What swivel air fittings are you going to use, they'd need to be fairly robust & stand quite high RPM's I'd guess.

Oilworker

Explorer
I am currently also looking at Trailmaster HD +2" as it seemingly is rather difficult to get a set of Lovells in Europe.
The shocks are chosen already and will again be fully adjustable Proflex with external reservoir.
I sometimes cover 3000-5000km as fast as possible to get where my adventure/holiday is supposed to begin and that´s where I have fallen in love with Proflex shocks. They are just great, fully serviceable and have never let me down.

Other than that...well the wishlist is long (but getting shorter :) ) and I am always looking for new and interesting solutions/approaches or just things to build....

A big thing now is a good underbody protection that covers a rather large area of the underbody, split and easily detachable where service access is needed more often and I am still at my sketches for a utility rack for the tray back that connects to my external rollcage....

A lot of work still for a 4-5 weeks trip across the Ural mountain range ....

Red90

Adventurer
What swivel air fittings are you going to use, they'd need to be fairly robust & stand quite high RPM's I'd guess.

The outer fittings should all rotate with the tire and halfshaft. The rotary seal would be in the back inside of the portal box, I assume. The bigger problem is protecting the airline to the tire with such a large offset.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
The outer fittings should all rotate with the tire and halfshaft. The rotary seal would be in the back inside of the portal box, I assume. The bigger problem is protecting the airline to the tire with such a large offset.

Umm..... I'd prob go for a welded on boss near as poss to the mounting flange so that you can keep the origional inflation point in the event the CTIS fails. Would use aeroquip hose and steel fittings then with a robust cushion clamp or two holding the hose to the flange... just an idea.

Oilworker

Explorer
After it took some time until my "daily driver" tyres finally arrived...

3811463.jpg

it´s now getting close to being completed.

3811426.jpg

3811427.jpg

Everything lines up just as expected and now on the rear it´ll just be installing the CTIS lines, new coil springs and the Proflex shocks from my old 110....

The front axle is almost complete now, too and I´ll have a few more images by the weekend.

So long,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles