America’s Great Continental Divide

moto-treks

On the road
We finally received enough information about the Canadian border opening to have every reason to believe that it would open in six days - the 9th of August. However, we would have to jump through some hoops to get in. First, we needed to find a place to get a COVID-19 test as Canada was requiring a test 72 hours before crossing. We also had to download an app that would enable us to preregister for entry into Canada. This involved picking a port of entry, uploading pictures of your COVID-19 vaccination card and providing an itinerary of your trip. Additionally, at the border you may be asked to take another COVID-19 test which, if positive, would mean you needed to quarantine for 14 days.

Joe needed to get to to Whitefish as his wife’s laptop battery had started to die and she was needing to get a replacement. So, it was off to Whitefish or the general area.
2433C5AD-6E26-4A97-A294-7271565E8B2E_1_201_a-X3.jpg

We spent 2 nights at Seeley Lake and then drove up to Glacier National park to take a quick trip up the Going To The Sun Road.
9DF7552C-9174-4479-8AA7-E2A8C888A5B4-X3.jpg

1AB34B52-1758-43A4-B6D3-1C5769DEAEF3_1_201_a-X3.jpg

Joe found a place in Whitefish that did testing but they wanted something like $225 for each test. The closest place that provided free testing was in Missoula and they couldn’t guarantee a 72 hour turnaround. But, Tino had a friend in Missoula that was opening a brewery so why not drive down and get a beer.

Outside the Brewery
94D97B29-0678-434F-A411-0EF5B1A7279A_1_201_a-X2.jpg

The next morning we went to Walgreens for our tests and then drove back up to Whitefish for the night. All we need to do now is wait for our test results and finish the US portion of the CDT.

I wanted to take the Inside North Fork road from Glacier to Polebridge but that road was closed.
41D370B6-98CF-46DD-B32D-D89CF304D712_1_201_a-X3.jpg

We backtracked to the North Fork road and headed up to Polebridge
827753E9-378F-4B72-A86D-819FE3BEE066_1_201_a-X3.jpg

Due to fires in the area, Polebridge had a fire information center with fire maps and road closures. We checked to insure the road north was open. Everything looked okay so we continued north to find a camp for the night.
10BC017F-0FCF-4814-A055-157BA84C99F4_1_201_a-X3.jpg

The next morning, the 8th, we were all anxious to find cell coverage and check on our test results. Best place for that was going to be in Eureka. We packed up and continued north.
D317C1FF-BB38-49F4-9944-DFC4C8A1195F_1_201_a-X3.jpg

Just prior to Eureka my phone started dinging with incoming mail - we had cell coverage. I slammed on the brakes to see if I could access the website for the COVID-19 tests - we all had negative results. It was beginning to look like we just might really make it to Banff.

We found a place to sleep for the night by Lake Koocanusa - about nine miles from the border crossing. Tomorrow would be the big day. We would finish the US portion of the CDT and, hopefully, get into Canada to get to the start of the mountain bike trail in Banff.
20E10B77-86F1-41D3-93FA-8A3FA9608109_1_201_a-X3.jpg

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
We all awoke a bit early the next morning. It could have been because we wanted to get to the border when it opened or maybe it was the excitement of just getting across the border after it had been closed for so long. We also had no idea what to expect. We could see long lines or perhaps Canada decided at the last minute not to let Americans in.

It turns out the border was not crowded and it was OPEN.
9B1B6978-049A-4528-BDA4-FC077481FE27_1_201_a-X3.jpg

There were only two trucks ahead of us. After showing the Canadian border patrol our COVID-19 test results and answering a few questions we were on our way. None of us had been asked to take another COVID-19 test so we did not need to worry about a possible 14-day quarantine.

The roads from the border to Banff were either pavement of well maintained gravel.
5ECB69BF-600C-4F88-BDB0-7A0C59C2F6F8_1_201_a-X3.jpg

We setup camp just west of the Bob Creek Wildland Provincial Park and enjoyed the remainder of the day. It was warm and no smoke.
E2C53AE6-00E3-42E3-9462-EEBD737AF68C_1_201_a-X3.jpg

The next day Joe didn’t want end the trip without a little road side tire maintenance. This was the only flat tire on the entire trip.
769416F7-14F3-413E-A8B5-2091419420BD_1_201_a-X3.jpg

That night we stayed at the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. This was the only Provincial park I’ve stayed at that charged for firewood.
BB036F8E-4A22-44F4-BC9A-A80A77341B10_1_201_a-X3.jpg

The following morning it was off to Banff.
927A8D1E-CEEE-44B8-8A66-BADC11903825_1_201_a-X3.jpg

The roads where very well maintained which just made getting to Banff quicker. Before we knew it we where at the end of the motorized Continental Divide Trail. We took “End of the Trail” group pictures, had lunch and then Tino departed to visit relatives in Calgary while the rest of us headed to Banff for a hotel and meal.
015E735B-8140-4995-A4A7-C9C852AAEDB9_1_201_a-X3.jpg

And just like that, the adventure was done.
Miles driven: 4,566 miles
Duration: 51 days

Jupiter58

And just like that it is over! Not very far into Canada. Was it worth the Canadian visit other than for completion?
Thanks again for posting your trip. It would make a good guide for someone in the future. Will you do a wrap up and lessons learned post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moto-treks

On the road
And just like that it is over! Not very far into Canada. Was it worth the Canadian visit other than for completion?
Thanks again for posting your trip. It would make a good guide for someone in the future. Will you do a wrap up and lessons learned post?

I think the Canadian Rockies are the most scenic mountains in North America so driving the 260 miles from the border to Banff was well worth the effort. My wife and I ended up staying in Canada for 3 weeks before returning. We would have stayed longer but we had prior commitments back in Spokane. We have visited the areas many times before and will go back.

Anyone thinking of doing this trip should make sure their vehicle is thoroughly sorted out. That means more than just changing the oil. One should go over the whole vehicle and replace anything that may look like it's time to replace. We had a few mechanical issues along the way. Some could have been avoided if the vehicle had been thoroughly prepped prior to the trip.

The New Mexico roads are the roughest. And, if you get into the NM mud, just stop and wait for everything to dry out. This would be one of the reasons to carry extra food and water.

Be prepared to find a new route along the way. You can count on some of the roads being closed. The roads can be closed due to a washout, trees, fire, snow or just a new gate. So, have a good set of navigational tools, whether that's paper maps, digital or both, to be able to find alternate routes. Also, know how to use the tools.

Otherwise, load up your pack, bike, moto or vehicle and take off - the Continental Divide Trail awaits you.

60Dan

Explorer
This is brilliant!
Did you save your tracks in Gaia or somewhere that we as a group could look over? Would love to replicate this trip one day!
This thread has been a great read

WW252

@moto-treks You mentioned it took you 51 days, but I read you stayed multiple days at places here & there. What would you estimate the fastest time you would estimate and still having a quality trip? TIA

velo47

I did the CDR this summer and crossed paths with this group. They even let me travel with them for 2 days (thanks!).
It took me just over 3 weeks to go border to border, but I diverted to the BDR route through Colorado, which is a little longer. Didn't get to go into Canada because of the border closure.

If I did it again, I would go a little slower and see more off-route sights, especially in WY and MT.

Here's a link to my writeup:

greg.potter

Adventurer
I think the Canadian Rockies are the most scenic mountains in North America so driving the 260 miles from the border to Banff was well worth the effort. My wife and I ended up staying in Canada for 3 weeks before returning. We would have stayed longer but we had prior commitments back in Spokane. We have visited the areas many times before and will go back.

First off thank you for a great write-up. It is much appreciated when people take he time to share some of their journeys and inspire us all!

And of all of the roads in the Canadian Rockies I think highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper which traverses through the north portion of Banff National Park and the south part of Jasper Ntional Park is the most spectacular. 6000+ foot mountain elevation reliefs, glacier within walking distance of the road, all kinds of wildlife and many opportunities for hiking or other self propelled mountain adventures. Did you get a chance to drive the Banff-Jasper highway?

moto-treks

On the road
@moto-treks You mentioned it took you 51 days, but I read you stayed multiple days at places here & there. What would you estimate the fastest time you would estimate and still having a quality trip? TIA

The 2021 Tour Divide mountain bike race was won by Jay Petervary in 14 days, 19 hours and 14 minute. Someone in a vehicle should be able to do the 2700 miles in that time. I’ve done trips by myself where I rode all day long only stopping for an evening meal and sleep. At the time that was a quality trip. So, determining quality is really a personal choice

moto-treks

On the road
First off thank you for a great write-up. It is much appreciated when people take he time to share some of their journeys and inspire us all!

And of all of the roads in the Canadian Rockies I think highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper which traverses through the north portion of Banff National Park and the south part of Jasper Ntional Park is the most spectacular. 6000+ foot mountain elevation reliefs, glacier within walking distance of the road, all kinds of wildlife and many opportunities for hiking or other self propelled mountain adventures. Did you get a chance to drive the Banff-Jasper highway?

Yes we did. Spent a little over a week up in Jasper too. First few days we stayed at a hotel in town. Then we moved to one of the provincial parks before heading back to Banff. The Provincial parks are quite nice. They provide free firewood and hot showers.

dierkz

Anyone thinking of doing this trip should make sure their vehicle is thoroughly sorted out. That means more than just changing the oil. One should go over the whole vehicle and replace anything that may look like it's time to replace. We had a few mechanical issues along the way. Some could have been avoided if the vehicle had been thoroughly prepped prior to the trip.

The New Mexico roads are the roughest. And, if you get into the NM mud, just stop and wait for everything to dry out. This would be one of the reasons to carry extra food and water.

Be prepared to find a new route along the way. You can count on some of the roads being closed. The roads can be closed due to a washout, trees, fire, snow or just a new gate. So, have a good set of navigational tools, whether that's paper maps, digital or both, to be able to find alternate routes. Also, know how to use the tools.

Otherwise, load up your pack, bike, moto or vehicle and take off - the Continental Divide Trail awaits you.
This is truly one incredible trip and thank you for sharing. We've been planning to visit the Canadian Rockies for the same reason you describe it. Hopefully next year. It's a week-long Colorado trail for now, good thing the new set of toyo tires arrive early. Again, a wonderful trip report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles