Aluminum Topper Insulation

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Does anyone know of an adhesive backed insulation that would be about an inch thick for insulating my Unicover Pro aluminum topper? I guess i could use some 3M spray adhesive if needed (stereo deadning material would be very expensive). Also what about some idea's for finishing off the inside? The material would need to be thin, in order to bend the corners of the roof area. I was planning on using a bedcarpet for the lower portion of the bed.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete Wilson

P.S. I have the tool boxes on both sides and double rear doors. Address to my topper: http://www.unicovercaps.com/truck-caps/doublecargodoors.html

Last edited:

63tlf8

Observer
Does anyone know of an adhesive backed insulation that would be about an inch thick for insulating my Unicover Pro aluminum topper?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I used a closed cell foam duct insulation with an acrylic adhesive coated surface one side and Alu foil on the other for my MOG cab. Very flexible and works exceptionally well for both sound and heat. Can't recall the name for sure but it may be something like " Thermoshield "

Tony

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: JC Whitney has "thermo-acustic" auto insulation, 1/2" thick, with foil on one side and using spray adhesive, I've done all the inside of my Jeep JK Ruby and the heat (sun) and sound are WAY down in the Nevada desert !!

:victory::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

eugene

Explorer
I did one years ago. I just cut 1" styrofoam from lowes or home depot then just taped it in with aluminum duct tape. The aluminum stuff is very stiff so I just ran it along where the insulation met the frame tubing and it held fine.
I never did cover it though, was thinking of using pegboard or the same board they sell like it without the holes then covering it with headliner to match the truck.

thecriscokid

Explorer
I have been thinking of ideas for finishing the interior of mine as well. The only material that I have seen was in a lazy susan cabinet. It's a very thin partical board.
I'm still looking though. My hope is to find some ultra thin bamboo.
I'd be curious to see how a spray on insulation (like the Lizardskin) covered with bed liner would turn out.

Spur

Adventurer
I have been thinking of ideas for finishing the interior of mine as well. The only material that I have seen was in a lazy susan cabinet. It's a very thin partical board.
I'm still looking though. My hope is to find some ultra thin bamboo.
I'd be curious to see how a spray on insulation (like the Lizardskin) covered with bed liner would turn out.

I've thought about natural wood as well. You can buy cabinet grade birch plywood in 1/8". Stained and coated in poly. I think it might look cool. Kind of nautical. Finding reasonably priced priced sheets of bamboo is hard and I've never seen any that's ultra thin.

thecriscokid

Explorer
I think it could look nice to have the top and platform match. I have thought of some simple overlapping ideas so that there would not be any bedliner or clamps showing. It would be very nautical feeling crawling into a full stained and sealed 5'x6' box. Think Catamaran...
When I picked up my topper this spring I painted the interior white and really enjoy the reflective light inside.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Thanks Spur, that heat wave looks like a winner and should help with sound deadning and insulation both. Now for a cover material, like 1/8 in. ply or some kind of plastic material.

Pete Wilson

fisher205

Explorer
How about milk board? I can't think of the other name for it, but it's a thin plastic sheet for lining walls that will get overspray. We use it on pump houses. I had thought of using it on my aluminum topper until I sold it.
-Brad

Re; Aluminum topper insulation

Hey, how is it going, I saw this thread the other day, I don't have any pictures to post as of yet because there are many and I need to re size them, you can find me on facebook to see the build progress. I am using an ARE DCU series topper with an aluminum skin on top of an 05 superduty long bed. The ARE got 2 layers of 1" thick aluminized foam insulation with an R-6 rating. the most important thing to work on if you are planning a build like this is to off set your insulation to prevent thermal transfer from the outer skin thru the aluminum framing members to the inner sleeping/rest area. I hit this from a few different angles: first use 3M high strength 90 to glue in the aluminum panels (shiny side in) to the outer skin in between all of the framing members. Next use a window and door flashing material that is made out of butyl rubber to run over every single exposed piece of aluminum that you can find. Frame out your aluminum in 1" x 3" wood, running two layers over each aluminum stud and crossing joints where appropriate. Caulk your first layer of insulation directly to the wood using silicone 3. Once that has all dried, you are ready to go over all of your voids with more of the 1" aluminum insulation, caulk again and presto, you are ready to skin the interior. With this combination I recently achieved a 16 degree temperature difference in Moab with just myself inside the camper. My bed platform leaves me about 24" from the top of the 4" mattress to the ceiling and about 50" width by 78" length. I also ran a furniture pad over my rear doors which snapped closed along the perimeter and one which snapped over my front window to cut down drafts and cold transfer from the outside air. I ran the test with an outside ambient temperature of 34 degrees. It has also been tested with two people and the 9" roof vent cracked about 1" for ventilation, the 2" x 3" side vent was open but not pulling air in at the time. That test gained me an indoor temperature of 54 degrees sustained from 9pm at night with outside temps at 30 degrees F to the morning at 5am with an outside temp of 22 degrees F. Let me know if you have any questions about costs and such.

Thanks.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

So far I haven't been able to do much with my top due to the hours I have been putting in at work but I am leaning towards doing a bedrug for the bed. Great idea's so far, does anyone have pics?

Pete Wilson

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
For those of us who don't facebook, do you have photos any place else?

Hey, how is it going, I saw this thread the other day, I don't have any pictures to post as of yet because there are many and I need to re size them, you can find me on facebook to see the build progress. I am using an ARE DCU series topper with an aluminum skin on top of an 05 superduty long bed. The ARE got 2 layers of 1" thick aluminized foam insulation with an R-6 rating. the most important thing to work on if you are planning a build like this is to off set your insulation to prevent thermal transfer from the outer skin thru the aluminum framing members to the inner sleeping/rest area. I hit this from a few different angles: first use 3M high strength 90 to glue in the aluminum panels (shiny side in) to the outer skin in between all of the framing members. Next use a window and door flashing material that is made out of butyl rubber to run over every single exposed piece of aluminum that you can find. Frame out your aluminum in 1" x 3" wood, running two layers over each aluminum stud and crossing joints where appropriate. Caulk your first layer of insulation directly to the wood using silicone 3. Once that has all dried, you are ready to go over all of your voids with more of the 1" aluminum insulation, caulk again and presto, you are ready to skin the interior. With this combination I recently achieved a 16 degree temperature difference in Moab with just myself inside the camper. My bed platform leaves me about 24" from the top of the 4" mattress to the ceiling and about 50" width by 78" length. I also ran a furniture pad over my rear doors which snapped closed along the perimeter and one which snapped over my front window to cut down drafts and cold transfer from the outside air. I ran the test with an outside ambient temperature of 34 degrees. It has also been tested with two people and the 9" roof vent cracked about 1" for ventilation, the 2" x 3" side vent was open but not pulling air in at the time. That test gained me an indoor temperature of 54 degrees sustained from 9pm at night with outside temps at 30 degrees F to the morning at 5am with an outside temp of 22 degrees F. Let me know if you have any questions about costs and such.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior