Alu-Cab Khaya Camper

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
@Mudrak Custom Cruisers Thanks for the reply. I also notice the receiver hitch is a mounting point. Is that a problem when one would want to tow something?

Thanks again.
So the rear mount for the SB is different from the LB models. With the LB trucks there is enough bed and the rear OEM bed bolts are back far enough that you can go full internal mount w/ a LB truck and maintain your hitch.

However, on the SB trucks we found that in harsh, real-world testing, due to the flex in most modern (composite) truck beds the camper simply slipped around too much....hence the rear mount to the hitch solution. There are 2 work-arounds for this if you want to be able to tow w/ your SB truck;

EASY/CHEAP SOLUTION:
Buy a ball mount that bolts to the receiver plate
ball.jpg

TRICK / MORE EXPENSIVE SOLUTION
Buy a steel rear bumper (like a CBI) and weld mounting tabs for 2 turnbuckles that would mount the rear of the camper directly to the bumper. We are going to try these trick poly turnbuckles for this solution
POLY.png

We have one customer who is going this route and we will also be doing this on our show unit...but no pics for now.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

AK_ADV

I was also wondering about the 5' bed version, but more on the lines of decreased departure angle with how far the hitch sticks out. I will look forward to seeing the pictures of it attached to the bumper.

BDRXO

I was also wondering about the 5' bed version, but more on the lines of decreased departure angle with how far the hitch sticks out. I will look forward to seeing the pictures of it attached to the bumper.

I will post up pics as soon as we get ours done!

Do you have any photos of the camper on a tundra?
Also basic dimensions

No Tundra pics....these campers won't work on a Tundra (unless you did some sort of custom flatbed built around the Khaya. The length of the cabin is 6'7" without rear attachments. If you include the roof truss the height is 9'1". The width below is 4'3" and over the side compartments 6'.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
No Tundra pics....these campers won't work on a Tundra (unless you did some sort of custom flatbed built around the Khaya. The length of the cabin is 6'7" without rear attachments. If you include the roof truss the height is 9'1". The width below is 4'3" and over the side compartments 6'.[/QUOTE]

Too bad, i had hopes of a trun key solution. Thanks for th dimensions though

motox181

Hello, just wondering if you had any sort of ball park figure on what the weight will be with the suggested options, plus water, food, propane, etc.I know it wont be exact but just curious on what you would estimate it to be once you're ready to go, thanks.

BDRXO

Hello, just wondering if you had any sort of ball park figure on what the weight will be with the suggested options, plus water, food, propane, etc.I know it wont be exact but just curious on what you would estimate it to be once you're ready to go, thanks.

A fully loaded Khaya camper weighs 1,100lbs...so loaded w/ water, propane, food and camping gear I would estimate 1,500lbs all-in.

BDRXO

Bump for spring orders...Production lead times have shortened a bit since the factory is producing 3 models. Weekender, Prime, and Prime Plus.

BDRXO

We will be picking up the new 4-sleeper Khaya in about 6 weeks at OX West. This model moves the stove outside but maintains the internal sink and sleeps 4 comfortably.
Really looking forward to testing this unit and will provide feedback as we test this summer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz