Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
To all you Shadow Awn owners, especially if you have the wall kit:

Who's tired of trying to cram the tie down straps back into the support arms while you're packing up to leave your campsite?

Well, I am and I figured out a fix. The only time you need the straps attached is if you're tying the arms down. So, they can be removed with one bolt per strap. AluCab has them setup to be installed or removed with a 10 mm wrench & allen wrench, during initial assembly. (Yes, one pole/arm assembly has them installed from factory. The other 2 need installing when you buy a wall kit.) So I replaced them with like-sized thumb screws and wing nuts. Quickly installed when you need them and quickly removed when packing up - both times without any tools.

One arm comes from AluCab with outer bolt securing awning side of strap and strap stored in arm (PITA):
IMG_1092a.JPG

This bolt with the strap:

IMG_1364a.JPG

Replaced with this thumb screw & wing nut from a hardware store (save washers):
IMG_1365a.JPG

And both straps & screws stored in freezer bag with your wall kit or wherever you want.
IMG_1366a.JPG

towee

there was some talk earlier in this thread about some diy room enclosures/wind breaks on the shadow awn I’m interested in hearing about anyone’s successes/failures. I would love to see some type of wind break panel options I have no interest in the full blown enclosure.

Rin,

has Jeremy ever considered doing some type of wind break panels? Something similar to arb is what I’m thinking. Something that connects to the Velcro and just pegs out I think the same material that the shower cube is made out of would be ideal. Would want 2 sizes one smaller size that would fit either end and one bigger size for the side. Wouldn’t have to be exact and I’m sure I could get what I’m thinking of made but being the alu cab fan boy that I am Jeremy could do it much better and I think they would sell like mad.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
there was some talk earlier in this thread about some diy room enclosures/wind breaks on the shadow awn I’m interested in hearing about anyone’s successes/failures. I would love to see some type of wind break panel options I have no interest in the full blown enclosure.

Rin,

has Jeremy ever considered doing some type of wind break panels? Something similar to arb is what I’m thinking. Something that connects to the Velcro and just pegs out I think the same material that the shower cube is made out of would be ideal. Would want 2 sizes one smaller size that would fit either end and one bigger size for the side. Wouldn’t have to be exact and I’m sure I could get what I’m thinking of made but being the alu cab fan boy that I am Jeremy could do it much better and I think they would sell like mad.
You only get 1 supporting pole & tiedown strap with the Shadow. You need to order the wall kit ("full blown enclosure") to get the other 2 poles and straps. I would not attach any "wind break panel" to the existing velcro on the awning without all 3 poles securely tied down. Just some advice from a Shadow and wall kit owner.

towee

I figured lack of legs might be an issue it’s one of the reasons I thought a lighter material might work. Thanks for the feedback

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I figured lack of legs might be an issue it’s one of the reasons I thought a lighter material might work. Thanks for the feedback
You might be able to find poles that would work. Use the existing pole as a model and all you'd need is the screw to secure it at the top. Use the method I showed in post #693 with a thumbscrew and wingnut for the pole as well as the strap. If you only install them when you want to attach a windbreak panel or in high winds, you won't have to fab up an Alu-Cab bracket to swing it up and secure the bottom to awning brace for transport. They won't be difficult to stash - might even be room in the bottom of the awning mounting bracket/enclosure.(inside the bag) The velcro connection might act as a "safety fuse" for high wind protection for your awning if it's the cheaper velcro. If you've noticed, some velcro doesn't grip as well as the original grade. I'd rather find out the wind is too strong by having the wind break come loose, than the awning damaged. But, well secured poles are a neccessity when the wind kicks up - even for just having the awning deployed.

See this thread for install pics of the awning mounted to a truck topper.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
You only get 1 supporting pole & tiedown strap with the Shadow. You need to order the wall kit ("full blown enclosure") to get the other 2 poles and straps. I would not attach any "wind break panel" to the existing velcro on the awning without all 3 poles securely tied down. Just some advice from a Shadow and wall kit owner.

I use the Oztent poles on mine. Drill a small hole at the end of the two legs for the post.

I frequently use my RV-5 as an annex for the awning and had a sail maker modify the RV/5 caravan connector to “boot” up to the Velcro on the Shadow.

The only thing I didn’t like is the RV-5 doesn’t fit in my truck very well. Recently I also picked up the RV-5 tagalong tent and use that for the annex instead. The Tagalong folds up completely and can fit in back of my truck. The two poles sit behind my rear seats.

174411108800fd3b62dd7020a2c0171c.jpg

I do plan on having the sail maker make a wind block panel for my setup, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I wish AluCab would offer one made of the same material as the shadow! (Slanted like the fox wing panels!)

Sure, I hear what you’re thinking- why didn’t I buy the Foxwing? There’s no comparison to the shadow awn. Shadow is bulletproof. I like the flexibility to leave all that stuff behind and just have the awning extended by itself too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I use the Oztent poles on mine. Drill a small hole at the end of the two legs for the post.

I frequently use my RV-5 as an annex for the awning and had a sail maker modify the RV/5 caravan connector to “boot” up to the Velcro on the Shadow.

The only thing I didn’t like is the RV-5 doesn’t fit in my truck very well. Recently I also picked up the RV-5 tagalong tent and use that for the annex instead. The Tagalong folds up completely and can fit in back of my truck. The two poles sit behind my rear seats.

174411108800fd3b62dd7020a2c0171c.jpg

I do plan on having the sail maker make a wind block panel for my setup, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I wish AluCab would offer one made of the same material as the shadow! (Slanted like the fox wing panels!)

Sure, I hear what you’re thinking- why didn’t I buy the Foxwing? There’s no comparison to the shadow awn. Shadow is bulletproof. I like the flexibility to leave all that stuff behind and just have the awning extended by itself too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That RV-5 is a great idea, the way you're using it! The Alu-Cab wall kit uses the same type of velcro wraps to attach to the poles. At least with your RV-5 you have a bug proof area that you can retreat into when they get bad. Throw a tarp down for a floor under the Shadow and it makes a nice area between the rig and tent. I like it!(y)

PNWOutdoor

Any info. For putting the Alu Cab RTT & Awning on a full size truck (6.6 Bed) with a Leitner Rack ? RTT mounting brackets, awning bracket ? Any local dealers / install In the mid Oregon region ?
Need it to be strong as i do back country outfitting and guiding and strength is a concern. TIA

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Anyone else here with a Gen 2 Alu-cab tent?

I recently lost the poles that keep open the overhang. I bought new poles from the distributer, but apparently they must have been for a Gen3 as they are longer and do not have a slight bend on the non-hook side like mine did.
Anyone with a Gen 2 that could measure the pole length for me so I can more easily cut and bend the Gen 3 poles?
Any help, greatly appreciated

Stabwell

Anyone else here with a Gen 2 Alu-cab tent?

I recently lost the poles that keep open the overhang. I bought new poles from the distributer, but apparently they must have been for a Gen3 as they are longer and do not have a slight bend on the non-hook side like mine did.
Anyone with a Gen 2 that could measure the pole length for me so I can more easily cut and bend the Gen 3 poles?
Any help, greatly appreciated

I've got a Gen 3.0 and mine have the bend in the non-hook side. Maybe you got the 3.1 poles?

Mine have a bend at 1 inch. Not sure about the exact angle.

Last edited:

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
I've got a Gen 3.0 and mine have the bend in the non-hook side. Maybe you got the 3.1 poles?

Mine have a bend at 1 inch. Not sure about the exact angle.

You wouldn't happen be able to give me a measurement from the hook to the bend would you?
I will also inquire to the distributor which ones I might have gotten.
VERY Frustrating! I specifically stated I have a Gen 2 tent and need poles for a Gen 2 tent.
Love my awning and shower cube, my Gen 2 tent has been a PIA!! I hate paying full price to be a guinea pig for a not ready for prime time $4k product!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles