Alaskan Camper Build Up

boblynch

Adventurer
Am I reading correctly that you're on the second set after only 36K miles on the new truck? I'm at 22K on my first set now. At what tread depth did you replace the 1st set? I agree with your earlier posts on speed and heat. At low speed and heat they seem like they will last forever. However, on long hot summer runs on the highway they wear fast.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Bob,

Yes, my second set is running low on tread. I do not have an exact measurement, but they only have until winter hits before I replace them. I like to have lots of tread on the ice and snow. Thought about retreading them, but no idea about the process or what to expect from the product. Definitely not my first or even second choice.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Oh wow, I misread that. You have gone through two sets in 36k! I thought you were getting that much out of each set.

Would it be worth it to take it to another alignment place to have stuff double checked? Have you noticed any odd wear patterns?

Carlyle

Explorer
This place did the best alignment and most places can't align a 5500. No really unusual wear patterns at this point.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've learned not to waste my time getting an alignment at the car shops. Go to a big rig alignment shop. They don't even bat an eye when you roll up with oversize tires and wide axles.

Darwin

Explorer
I've learned not to waste my time getting an alignment at the car shops. Go to a big rig alignment shop. They don't even bat an eye when you roll up with oversize tires and wide axles.
I believe that is where he has been going.

carlye, have you thought about 37 inch Toyo Mt's? they are rated at 4300 lbs in 17 inch. Only other option looks like stepping up to mpt 41's or big rig 22.5 inch rims found on the earthroamer. I cant believe you are only getting 36k for two sets of tires, and those tire are not cheap.

waynebrock

new member question

I am not replying to the most recent questions or thread, but have a question myself which someone might answer. Hope this is the correct way of doing it.

I have a 2014 GMC 2500 HD, Diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long bed and am ordering an 8' Alaskan camper. Does anyone have a quesstimate of the amount of drop in height I will get when the camper is on. I plan to garage the camper on the truck and am having to have the garage door size increased.

Wayne

fisher205

Explorer
I am not replying to the most recent questions or thread, but have a question myself which someone might answer. Hope this is the correct way of doing it.

I have a 2014 GMC 2500 HD, Diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long bed and am ordering an 8' Alaskan camper. Does anyone have a quesstimate of the amount of drop in height I will get when the camper is on. I plan to garage the camper on the truck and am having to have the garage door size increased.

Wayne
You shouldn't see hardly any drop if your suspension is set up right. At least I wouldn't plan on any if I was planning something permanent like my garage door.

superbuickguy

Explorer

Wayne
You shouldn't see hardly any drop if your suspension is set up right. At least I wouldn't plan on any if I was planning something permanent like my garage door.
I agree with fisher, get the tallest door you can fit on your building

flylow4500

Observer
I believe that is where he has been going.

carlye, have you thought about 37 inch Toyo Mt's? they are rated at 4300 lbs in 17 inch. Only other option looks like stepping up to mpt 41's or big rig 22.5 inch rims found on the earthroamer. I cant believe you are only getting 36k for two sets of tires, and those tire are not cheap.
17" wheels won't fit over the breaks and it's a 10 lug which means the wheel doesn't exist.

I've been looking over options on bigger tires for months. I ended up with 22.5s and 295s I don't have any time on them so I can't say how they work. At 7400lbs per tire they probably aren't squishy. The definitely are not aggressive but they could be grooved or trimmed out to be more aggressive.

Carlyle

Explorer
Well unless I switch wheels or put a lift on this truck I can't switch tires. Any suggestions on a good price on the Conti's?