Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Electric Lockers

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cable Lockers

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I think the air line failing is an over used excuse not to pay extra for the best (ARB):shakin: Seriously though, I've not had any issues with the lines on mine. Route\secure them so they don't get chaffed or pinched, use the proper strain relief and give enough slack for the suspension travel and there is no reason why the line should break. The regular blue stuff is pretty tough and you can always use the braided if it makes you sleep better at night.
Like I said before, they all have their potential failure modes but if they are installed correctly any of them should serve you well.

Question, since I'm too lazy to look, does OX make anything for a drop out style diff like a Ford 9", Toyota or Rover? Last I looked at them the special cover was part of the engagement mechanism.

grogie

Like to Camp
A friend of mine owns an off-road shop that builds KOH level buggies, and for what it's worth, he suggested an ARB when we were talking about lockers. I trust his opinion.

Kevin108

Explorer
I actually recommend full-time/auto lockers, like the Aussie or Lock Right. Why was that not an option?

My FJ Cruiser is the first vehicle I've ever had with a selectable locker. It works great, but in the stock configuration, it can only be engaged in 4 low and it works best if you engage it several times a year to keep things used to moving.

Everything else has had auto lockers. I've always liked the "lunchbox" lockers for several reasons:

· They can be installed in a couple hours in your driveway with basic hand tools.
· You have a locked rear in 2WD, 4 high, and 4 low.
· They are significantly more affordable than other lockers.

Many people try to tell you that snow is a problem for an auto locker, but I never found that to be the case. Inversely, I found the additional traction improved stability and handling in snow and ice.

Some people tell you noise is an issue. That may have been the case early lockers, but not with modern iterations. They are quiet and virtually undetectable.

Some will also say they lock and unlock unpredictably. Again, that may have been the case with earlier versions, but you have to play some serious throttle games to get a locker to misbehave now.

The only case I find to be made for selectable lockers are for vehicles with a manual transmission. Is that the case with your rig?

B

BPD53

I use an ARB front locker and a rear OX locker. I opted for the OX locker electric kit and have had good luck. I found the OX locks in about 1 second while the ARB is about half a second. I think it is 6 one way and half dozen the other.

ARB pros:
"Quicker" lock up
Proven design
Air compressor for tires etc...
Great customer service
Great warranty
Air line easy to repair depending on routing location
Huge application catalog

ARB cons:
Air hoses could leak
Air compressor needed to operate in most cases (more expensive initial purchase)
Installation instructions in my case were bad (ARB was great, but still was a pretty big issue at the time)

OX locker pros:
Great design
Quick lockup
Cables are very tough
Heavy duty diff cover included
USA made
Manual lockup if cable is damaged
Good customer service (not great)
Different engagement systems (air-electric-manual)

OX locker cons:
Cables could get snagged and broken
Adjusting the cable took a couple tries (not really a con but needs to be adjusted before using)

Honestly it's really personal choice. ARB customer service won me over after my last build, so I give them a heads up. I think all things equal I would pick ARB again.

Good luck with your decision. Either one go ahead and get your wallet out!

Last edited by a moderator:

traveldud

Observer
I actually recommend full-time/auto lockers, like the Aussie or Lock Right. Why was that not an option?

My FJ Cruiser is the first vehicle I've ever had with a selectable locker. It works great, but in the stock configuration, it can only be engaged in 4 low and it works best if you engage it several times a year to keep things used to moving.

Everything else has had auto lockers. I've always liked the "lunchbox" lockers for several reasons:

· They can be installed in a couple hours in your driveway with basic hand tools.
· You have a locked rear in 2WD, 4 high, and 4 low.
· They are significantly more affordable than other lockers.

Many people try to tell you that snow is a problem for an auto locker, but I never found that to be the case. Inversely, I found the additional traction improved stability and handling in snow and ice.

Some people tell you noise is an issue. That may have been the case early lockers, but not with modern iterations. They are quiet and virtually undetectable.

Some will also say they lock and unlock unpredictably. Again, that may have been the case with earlier versions, but you have to play some serious throttle games to get a locker to misbehave now.

The only case I find to be made for selectable lockers are for vehicles with a manual transmission. Is that the case with your rig?

I do have a 5 speed manual. I'm not averse to a full time locker, but haven't done much research. The little bit of feedback I've receceived is the noise, particularly when backing up. Does it affect drivability? I'll be putting on loads of highway miles this summer.

traveldud

Observer
I use an ARB front locker and a rear OX locker. I opted for the OX locker electric kit and have had good luck. I found the OX locks in about 1 second while the ARB is about half a second. I think it is 6 one way and half dozen the other.

ARB pros:
"Quicker" lock up
Proven design
Air compressor for tires etc...
Great customer service
Great warranty
Air line easy to repair depending on routing location
Huge application catalog

ARB cons:
Air hoses could leak
Air compressor needed to operate in most cases (more expensive initial purchase)
Installation instructions in my case were bad (ARB was great, but still was a pretty big issue at the time)

OX locker pros:
Great design
Quick lockup
Cables are very tough
Heavy duty diff cover included
USA made
Manual lockup if cable is damaged
Good customer service (not great)
Different engagement systems (air-electric-manual)

OX locker cons:
Cables could get snagged and broken
Adjusting the cable took a couple tries (not really a con but needs to be adjusted before using)

Honestly it's really personal choice. ARB customer service won me over after my last build, so I give them a heads up. I think all things equal I would pick ARB again.

Good luck with your decision. Either one go ahead and get your wallet out!

The OX Locker doesn't seem to be available for 60 series land cruisers. Thanks for the above. It's interesting to see the results of the poll. Arb was way ahead and now it's quite even as compared to e lockers.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have the factory GM G80 autolocker in my old Z71 and it works fairly well. I can hear it clanking and clunking sometimes but the noise does not bother me. It came with the truck, so I can live with it. All things considered, I'd prefer a selectable locker, probably ARB.

B

BPD53

I have the factory GM G80 autolocker in my old Z71 and it works fairly well. I can hear it clanking and clunking sometimes but the noise does not bother me. It came with the truck, so I can live with it. All things considered, I'd prefer a selectable locker, probably ARB.

I had the G80 too. I switched to the OX because the G80 would kick in and out based on wheel spin and speed. I like having control of the locker. ARB now makes a rear locker for the 8.6".

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
To the OP, did I miss what year, make, and model you have? Am I reading a US spec 60 Series Land Cruiser?

Very important detail, in the case of the 60 Series LC, the only option (and it is a great one) is the ARB for the rear. The cable and electronic variants require a full-float rear axle and long spline shafts.

traveldud

Observer
Yes I've mentioned 60 series. US spec. Part of the reason I like the cable locker is for around what you seem to pay for the ARBs, you'd get the full arrangement with full floater. The ARBs def are winning the poll and the cable locker has yet to get a vote.

traveldud

Observer
I would replace the entire arrangement (axle, housing, etc.). Is there something to be aware of? For example, the full floater with cable lockers out of a hj61. Will that not work?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I would replace the entire arrangement (axle, housing, etc.). Is there something to be aware of? For example, the full floater with cable lockers out of a hj61. Will that not work?

It will work with no issue. There was a factory limited slip 3rd for sale on mud a few months ago. You can also use then80 series factory lockers in the 60. Just swap the 3rds. Also, the full float rear uses the same wheel bearings as the front. So you have to carry fewer spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94