Aggressive all terrain or less aggressive all mud terrain?

bluejeep

just a guy
I run the MAXX's on my 2006 LJ right now, excellent tire. Having said that, I'm looking into the Kenda Kleever RT (hybrid) in a 35 x 10.5 x 17 for my next set. Skinnier tire but about a similar tread pattern - more aggresive than AT by not all the way to MT.

I've also heard Cooper has a new hybrid out, the Cooper Rugged Trek, tread looks good, not sure about sidewalls or sizes

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
5B5F3B4B-4B9F-4E0A-8E7A-87F2665BCE44.jpeg
28954676-AA3D-4E89-BAA7-A8340073F67A.jpeg
265/75r16 Goodyear ultraterrain posted next to 235/85r16 Firestone Winterforce.
No real review yet, only about five miles on them in stop and go traffic.
They look cool though. Lol

scandy

think I've decided on 235/85/16, my reasoning is, first weight, can run a 10 ply at a still somewhat reasonable weight, I can get better gas mileage with a more aggressive tread, and theres some convincing "science" to the longer shape of the contact patch, as well as more pressure concentrated on the surface rather than less pressure over a larger area, seems like more of a trade off in that regard, but I figure with a 10 ply i'll be able to run a bit lower pressure too, and get that additional surface area if i really need it. I also do a TON of driving in snow, skinny is miles better in snow than a wide tire, unless youre in such deep snow that you actually need floatation, I actually have a set of snow tires but chances are ill hit some snow in the shoulder seasons, and that digging/using the sidewall of a skinny tire might have some similar effect in loose trail conditions.

been doing a lot more reading on tires, I'm pretty sold on coopers, though still open. Leaning slightly towards the STT pro over the MAXX. road noise isnt a big deal so long as its not terrible. I have enough wind and engine noise I doubt tire noise is going to stand out.. According to Cooper at least the Pro weighs 3-4 lbs less than the maxx. not huge but my rig needs all the help it can get. I also hear the pro might ride a little more compliant. If i can get similar mileage on the highway and better offroad performance thats a win for me. I also dont care much about treadwear. I get great deals on tires and Im ok with only getting a few years out of them plus i like trying out new tires.

MY one hesitancy is that I do a lot of slickrock type offroading around moab. wondering if the MAXX would be better for that?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
MY one hesitancy is that I do a lot of slickrock type offroading around moab. wondering if the MAXX would be better for that?

I had a set of Maxx's when I was in Canyonlands in late May of 2021. At the time they had 50,000 miles on them and they did great on the rocks going over Elephant Hill, over to the Confluence Overlook and then out of the park through Bobby's Hole. Great tires for all conditions.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

The_Dude

Adventurer
My vote goes to the Yokohama Geolandar X-AT

Great tires. Mine are 285/75/18

370717dc29330736f941f9b678a9e483.jpg

9b1d0d6c8074f29b79866f670258cd9f.jpg

562a8cc659eda88d3d4bcf98e55e3daf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpop8807

Observer
Yes I agree, look at the heavy Toyo mt, that tire has the strongest carcass of any off the shelf passenger tire. I drove 1000 miles into remote Canada with a 16 penny nail between the tread blocks and one had a bolt stuck in it. I just screwed the bolt down tighter at every fill up.

That's the worst tire I had luck with. Strong ass tire. I was coming down old stage road in Colorado Springs. It was a bit snowy/icey not bad at all. I was going slow I hit a small patch of ice and the MT's slide super easy. I hit an F250 instead of going over the side. Like I said super slow. The guy in the f250 asked me if I was good I said yes checked the vehicle they were fine then he threw a budlight in my old rig and said you need that you're pail as hell. I did the same trail with my boy later that day in his rig both of us had H3's he was running general grabber's the ones that look like slightly less aggressive ko's and we had no issues what so ever.

NVLOC

Observer
That's the worst tire I had luck with. Strong ass tire. I was coming down old stage road in Colorado Springs. It was a bit snowy/icey not bad at all. I was going slow I hit a small patch of ice and the MT's slide super easy. I hit an F250 instead of going over the side. Like I said super slow. The guy in the f250 asked me if I was good I said yes checked the vehicle they were fine then he threw a budlight in my old rig and said you need that you're pail as hell. I did the same trail with my boy later that day in his rig both of us had H3's he was running general grabber's the ones that look like slightly less aggressive ko's and we had no issues what so ever.
You had poor performance on ice with a mud terrain. Think that through - do you really think it's illustrative of poor tire performance?

jadmt

ignore button user
Just drove through a nasty storm in south dakota (montana to southern minnesota) conditions were horrible. Lost count of vehicles of all types in the ditch and duratracs did pretty good.333E80F3-FD83-49B0-85CD-B6E211907C81.jpeg456C91AE-80F2-42A7-A052-932DB01B36CC.jpeg75A3F659-528B-4BE1-9440-6E1F3CAE2274.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Just drove through a nasty storm in south dakota (montana to southern minnesota) conditions were horrible. Lost count of vehicles of all types in the ditch and duratracs did pretty good.View attachment 759350View attachment 759351View attachment 759352
What Toyos' do you have? I have 35" AT3's and so far find that my Duratracs were better in winter.
I think next time I need tires I'll try Nokian Outposts (Which were my first choice over the Toyos but weren't available) or Wildpeaks.

ExpoMike

Toyo just released a new aggressive all terrain tire called the Open Country RT Trail which I’m about to put on my Power Wagon. It’s new so there are limited reviews but have a look.

Interesting. I was originally thinking of going with the OC RT but now I might look at the Trail version. Thanks for the heads up on those.

jadmt

ignore button user
What Toyos' do you have? I have 35" AT3's and so far find that my Duratracs were better in winter.
I think next time I need tires I'll try Nokian Outposts (Which were my first choice over the Toyos but weren't available) or Wildpeaks.
Toyo R/T's. I have had 3 sets of the R/T's so far (on two different rubicons and now my PW) and they have been great tires. Next set of tires will most likely be the R/T trails in 285/75-17.. I am surprised that your at3's are not a bit better. I would have been fine with my Toyos on my trip but on longer trips like to run the duratracs to save wear and tear on the toyos :). I have done this trip several times in the last 2 year and mpg has been the same on either tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles