Africa Water Purification

preacherman

Explorer
Fortunately, mine are not deep.
As you might gather, these issues are at the core of my day job and I spend a lot of time worrying about war, peace, and development.

That reminds me I have been meaning to ask you, what do you do? You may have said and I missed it.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Got a Day Time Job ...

Doin' all right.

I am a Foreign Service Officer - lived in Africa for about ten of the last thirty years. The US Embassy in Bangui was reopened in 2005 and that is where I work.

This statement by the new Assistant Secretary designate: http://www.america.gov/st/texttrans-english/2009/April/20090429170028eaifas0.2521784.html&distid=ucs is a good introduction to why Africa is important for the US and specifically, what we are trying to do in the CAR.

Personal photos of the CAR and elsewhere are at: www.pbase.com/diplostrat

preacherman

Explorer
Thanks for sharing, that was a great article. I loved these lines..

"Democracy is a process, not an event."

"Conflicts in Africa do more to undermine progress than almost anything else."

"Now more than ever, the United States must help its African partners raise per capita income levels, promote broad-based, sustainable growth, and improve their business environment."

"Africa’s poverty has put it at a distinct disadvantage in dealing with major global and transnational problems like health pandemics, climate change, food shortages, narcotics trafficking and the illegal exploitation of Africa’s maritime resources."

On a different note I just got finished reading Howard French's book, "A continent for the taking: The tragedy and hope of Africa" and learned a lot about the history of conflict of Africa. I gave me a health respect for diplomats like yourself who are trying to make a difference in some very tough areas.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
A Good, Basic Read

If you want a reasonable start on African history, post independence, try Meredith’s "The State of Africa." (Also sold as "The Fate of Africa.")

Ambassador Carson and I served together years ago in Botswana; last saw him in Ethiopia. The President has picked very, very well and I hope that he is confirmed quickly.

There is a difference between naiveté and idealism, likewise between cynicism and realism. Naïfs and cynics accomplish nothing; the former attempt the wrong things and the latter attempt nothing. A little realistic idealism, as practiced by some of the groups I listed above, can, on the other hand accomplish small miracles.

jham

Adventurer
preacherman, might want to check out "Africa Doesn't Matter" by Giles Bolton, as well.

It covers most aspecs of Humanitarian Aid, the faults in it, where money actually goes, what doesn't work and why, etc etc. A great, great read.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Some Modern "Classic" Reads on Development

Each with a different take:

The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good - Easterly

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mans-Bu...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242724174&sr=1-1

The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It - Collier

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=the+bottom+billion

Anything by Jeffrey Sachs

http://www.amazon.com/Jeffrey-Sachs..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08VFDHSAWMHR1SDX48N4

I tend to come out closer to Collier and Easterly and would note that that is where you will find the increasing number of African thinkers. I tend to take a bit of a "Home Depot" approach, "You can do it, we can help." What is clear, however, is that many African governments are not at all interested in development. A harsh statement, perhaps, but true. And absent a government commitment, all other efforts will merely be humanitarian assistance, or as my French colleague puts it, "a bandaid on a wooden leg."

Long article by a young Ghanaian: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/102680

Africa can be rough; too many profess a naive "love" or cynically dismiss the entire continent without reviewing the history of the rest of th world. Africa is 900 million people spread over an area four times the size of the continental United States. There are lots of peoples, civilizations, and cultures to try to understand.

Last edited:

egn

Adventurer
There are an endless number of solutions to purified drinking water. But as most people have already mentioned, KISS is probably the preferred solution.

The treatment with UV with a bottle is one of the very simple solutions. It works when long enough applied. But there are also some problems with contamination of the water with something from the plastic bottle. Regular glass isn't UV transparent enough.

On the other side the question is why aren't a bit more high-tech ideas applicable here?

All this orphanages seem to be pretty well organized. So why not financing a technical solution which isn't to complicated. Several like filters where already mentioned.

Or you spend money for a PV-Module, a rechargeable battery and and electrical UV lamps which are placed in the local water tanks. This should work for many years.

A combination of filters and UV may give good water quality.

Regarding sand filters I saw a report about a project in Jemen done bei the GTZ (German Technical Cooperation). They have developed a very simple system that works pretty well. There is a larger system and a more simple system.

Here is a further links:
http://www.yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1252&p=health&a=2

If you have water available (salt/brackish/dirty) the Watercone is a very low tech solar water distiller for purifying said water. I am not sure if it will/could help because each unit produces a max of 1.5 liters/day and your numbers are high, but please check it out.

watercone1.jpg

We really appreciate your work.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I like the water cone, there's another version for doing that using just a couple of pots, a stone and a plastic bag....the desert survival version for re-cycling your liquid deposits

Now on a larger version ....maybe you could use plastic roof sheeting same method just larger scale... black painted tanks underneath panels south facing like solar panels and a collector trough at the low end

cloudy days however mean less water...
equitorial sun fades and discolours plastic pretty quick....

glass depends on availability...and delivery in one piece !

James86004

Expedition Leader
Personal photos of the CAR and elsewhere are at: www.pbase.com/diplostrat

I just spent my lunch hour looking at your photos. Fascinating. My father joined the Foreign Service when I was 3. When we went to get our vaccinations, I had a severe reaction to the typhoid one. This eliminated a lot of countries we could be posted to including Korea, China and Taiwan, and they had to make an exception for Japan. Africa was right out. My parents never expressed any disappointment to me about that, but I am sure it was for them.

I wonder if I am still allergic to that vaccine?

egn

Adventurer
If you have water available (salt/brackish/dirty) the Watercone is a very low tech solar water distiller for purifying said water. I am not sure if it will/could help because each unit produces a max of 1.5 liters/day and your numbers are high, but please check it out.

The disadvantage of the Watercone is its very high price of 50+ $ compared to a water production of only 1,5 l/d and a life time of only a few years. To cover the requirement of one person in an area that has such a high sun insulation, you need multiple of them.

In total a high-tech solution may be much more cost effective.

The disadvantage of the Watercone is its very high price of 50+ $ compared to a water production of only 1,5 l/d and a life time of only a few years. To cover the requirement of one person in an area that has such a high sun insulation, you need multiple of them.

In total a high-tech solution may be much more cost effective.
$50.00 seems horribly expensive for a product that was designed to be used in developing countries... the planned cost they mention in their website is 20 Euro (less than $30) but still expensive, that is too bad. I still like the simplicity of the design.

preacherman

Explorer
While thinking about easy, low cost simple ways to treat large amounts of water I remembered something we used to do while backpacking. Household bleach to treat water. One thing lead to another and I discovered hypochlorite (the power form of bleach). I will try to post some stuff up up later, it's really interesting and promising.

The clock is ticking I leave a month form tomorrow to go back...

RU55ELL

Explorer
Will you be going back to the same exact place? A family that we are friends with is going to be missionaries in Uganda. They will go there at the end of the year and stay indefinitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles