Afghanistan: My 7 month "Adventure" in the Sangin valley

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey Sempertoy,
Nice pics....and thanks for your service! I was in the Helmond in 2002-03 with Army Special Forces. My team built the firebase in Gereshk....not sure what they call it today. Sangin was a scary place back in 03. Everyone in that district was TB....they cut us apart on my last trip up there...lost a couple of great Americans that day.....

Glad to hear you made it back ok.....

First off, welcome back to Sempertoy and thank you for posting your pictures. I came into the UGV over that winter with Battalion Landing Team 3/8 as we worked to secure Rt 611 into Sangin. Thankfully all my kids came home alive from my part of the unit, not all came back without wounds, but alive is good enough.

Murphy-
The SF compound in Gereshk was on FOB Price now, I'm trying to remember what it was called at the time but likely whatever you guys named it as the ODAs kept the lineage intact. I spent several nights there while working with MARSOC.

To add to the AF pics, and specifically as they relate to your story, here's a few:
6 Jan 2011_flight 2.jpg
IMGP1744.jpg
IMGP1807.jpg
Can't say I really want to go back.
Semper Fi-
Ray

I spent my time in Iraq as a grunt. The only thing I wished I would have done different was take more pics and try to keep a diary. Working 18-20 hrs a day you don't even think of that stuff most the time. Then half the pics you do get wouldn't be the ones to share on a place like this. Thanks for sharing and may your Brothers Rest in Peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior