AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just checked our Brute. It has factory headlamps. Only the auxiliary lights are IPF.

Not sure where the assumption started that Brutes have IPF headlamps. Ours does not have them and I do not see any others in our photos that do either. It is also not listed as a part of the conversion. Maybe someone bought a Brute and swapped the lights, but it is clearly not a (current) matter of course.
The one at the dealership by my house has IPFs installed as an upgrade and listed on the sticker for $200.

Nobody's coming for him, just pointing out that it is indeed an option from AEV. The one hilldweller saw was probably a dealer ordered option for an inventoried vehicle.

There seems to be no assumptions about their legality though, just facts.
Quite so.
I can't fathom why they'd install substandard/illegal headlights on their vehicles.

Yeah, it looks like the IPFs are an option. Ours does not have them. However, I do take great pleasure in the irony of disputing which headlights are optional on the Brute. . .
That's not how you use the word irony.
Irony is selling a vehicle with "upgraded" headlights that work worse than the OE, are illegal, and charging a premium for them.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

Observer
Mr. Brady

Wannabe/newbie/no nothing/beginner overlander here.

FWIW: I enjoyed the article on the AEV Brute.

I own a 14 JKUR with a few AEV components and have been to the AEV factory to visit and view the Brute.

It's impressive to say the least.

Any way, I enjoy this site/forum and appreciate/value your input.

Lt Dan

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
lets just be happy the brute exists.

Have they made a camper shell for the bed ever? or a canopy top?

Why is it better than a JKU ? the longer wheelbase? or extra area? or aesthetics? or scarcity?

AlaricD

Observer
Irony is selling a vehicle with "upgraded" headlights that work worse than the OE, are illegal, and charging a premium for them.

Bingo.

"Comes with no payload as standard equipment! But you gotta pay more if you want to downgrade your headlamps! Act now! Operators are standing by!" (Doesn't fit easily into any toolbox, though.)

Again, it really does call into question some of their decisions. For me, because I know vehicle lighting pretty well, that's the main thing I can point at. And maybe that's the ONLY mistake (other than the payload issue, which is a big one) they've made, but I'm sure an expert in their relative fields could probably spot them.

They're charging an incredible premium for a vehicle that they'll willingly charge extra to downgrade for you. The buyers of the downgrade might think it's an upgrade, because not knowing that they don't know, they'll turn to the Internet, full of glowing reviews by people who themselves don't know any better. Maybe that's why AEV picked them as an "upgrade", because they saw the same reviews.

Scott Brady

Founder
That's not how you use the word irony.

Actually, I think you have valid point regarding the lighting option, and one I plan to ask AEV about. I just find it ironic that the argument regarding the merits of the Brute devolved to optional headlights. The idiom "grasping at straws" comes to mind ;)

GFA

Adventurer
While your having that conversation with them how about asking why they don't have a locking tailgate? Seriously, if used what it's intended for it would be nice to be able to lock expensive gear in the bed under a RTT or whatever else. It's bed is even more insecure than me...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...The idiom "grasping at straws" comes to mind ;)
I wasn't grasping at anything; I was pointing. At junk.

I look at the headlights on every rig I encounter, especially the bespoke ones. I sorta measure the competency of the builder by what they're running for lights.
Is it legal? How well does it work? What made them run that light?

Before I saw that Brute at the dealership I never would've guessed that they would pick IPF for headlights. I just assumed by reputation that they'd offer something legal...

If you want to see REALLY REALLY stupid and illegal, look here. This is the sort of thing that should be shut down and some criminal charges made.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Cracks me up people love to tear down something they cant afford. Always boils down to haves vs. have nots. Someone complained about not having a locking tailgate? Really?

AlaricD

Observer
Cracks me up people love to tear down something they cant afford. Always boils down to haves vs. have nots. Someone complained about not having a locking tailgate? Really?

I'm sure even Bill Gates locks his trunk.

This isn't a case of "sour grapes". This is a case of "the Emperor has no clothes".

Scott Brady

Founder
While your having that conversation with them how about asking why they don't have a locking tailgate?

Many trucks, both present and past don't have locking tailgates. It would be extremely easy to swap the existing latch for a locking one. They are sold in a locking variant. 10 minutes and $30 and you have a locking tailgate.

070-0003_1_zm.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I wasn't grasping at anything; I was pointing. At junk.

I look at the headlights on every rig I encounter, especially the bespoke ones. I sorta measure the competency of the builder by what they're running for lights.
Is it legal? How well does it work? What made them run that light?

You and I are on the same page Bill. If the IPF is still an option, it is worth understanding why AEV specified them as available.

But I think you can agree that judging the merits of an entire vehicle on optional headlights does the vehicle and the discussion a disservice.

Scott Brady

Founder
Bingo.

"Comes with no payload as standard equipment! But you gotta pay more if you want to downgrade your headlamps! Act now! Operators are standing by!" (Doesn't fit easily into any toolbox, though.)

What evidence do you have that the Brute has no available payload?

Do you spend a lot of time watching MSNBC? (I jest, I jest)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You and I are on the same page Bill. If the IPF is still an option, it is worth understanding why AEV specified them as available.

But I think you can agree that judging the merits of an entire vehicle on optional headlights does the vehicle and the discussion a disservice.
Get me one to romp around in this weekend and I'll give it a fair shake...

I've got a new Ram 4x4 with the new 8-speed and dial-shifter as a loaner, btw. Ick.
The trans is slick, almost too slick. Like a rheostat. But the thing that really bothers me is the lack of levers; it's all dials and buttons. Just doesn't feel right.

AlaricD

Observer
AEV's CHMSL (#10404001AB) looks like it doesn't pass muster, either. I'd need to look at it in person, but if I did, I'll bet I wouldn't need any photometrics to tell it is a no-go at this station. If it does pass that first thing I'd check, then I'd rely on photometrics-- but there's something immediately obvious as far as I can tell from the pictures.

Since they state it *replaces* the factory CHMSL, it needs to conform to the standards.

This is a product that is wholly *theirs*-- the flaws in it are wholly theirs, as well.

docwatson

Adventurer
AEV's CHMSL (#10404001AB) looks like it doesn't pass muster, either. I'd need to look at it in person, but if I did, I'll bet I wouldn't need any photometrics to tell it is a no-go at this station. If it does pass that first thing I'd check, then I'd rely on photometrics-- but there's something immediately obvious as far as I can tell from the pictures.

Since they state it *replaces* the factory CHMSL, it needs to conform to the standards.

This is a product that is wholly *theirs*-- the flaws in it are wholly theirs, as well.

I understand how this would do with the dicussion of lights, but how does this affect the Brute as the ultimate overlander? Does this really contribute to this thread? I have only seen on legititmate reason on this thread to discredit the Brute. The payload. Someone give me something valid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke