Advice Needed:: Tacoma owner considering a ZR2

rajacat

You restricted it to crew cabs. This is for all 2.7s: "Based on data from 76 vehicles, 890 fuel-ups and 313,261 miles of driving, the 2018 Ford F-150 gets a combined Avg MPG of 18.34 with a 0.22 MPG margin of error. "

Still good MPG for a big truck with a strong motor.
The crew cab is the heaviest F150 configuration. It's counterintuitive to think that the inclusion of lighter body styles would decrease the MPG. I suspect that the the MPG numbers aren't that accurate yet due to lack of participants. Just 76 vehicles is not enough. Sometimes I doubt the accuracy of Fuelly because its not granular enough. There's no allowance for towing which can seriously skew the numbers. Also, many of the 2.7's aren't broken in yet. I know from experience that that makes a difference. There should be at least 2000 miles on the odometer before signing up for Fuelly.

Last edited:

rajacat

Actually, if you read the F150 forum, many do tow and the 2.7 is very capable. The 3.5 is the optimum for towing but the 2.7 can handily tow 5000#. The 2.7 has 400 lb.-ft which is equal to the 5.0 V8 and it get its torque at a much lower RPM and over a greater range. "2.7L EcoBoost produces more torque than General Motors’ venerable 5.3L V-8 – an engine nearly twice the size – in the Chevrolet Silverado".
http://www.wardsauto.com/engines/2018-winner-ford-f-150-27l-ecoboost-twin-turbo-v-6

Clutch

<---Pass
But 20 crewcabs is enough? It will settle close to the 18.34 number. And your towing comment doesn't help your case. F150 buyers who plan to tow a lot will generally not get a 2.7.
Actually, if you read the F150 forum, many do tow and the 2.7 is very capable. The 3.5 is the optimum for towing but the 2.7 can handily tow 5000#. The 2.7 has 400 lb.-ft which is equal to the 5.0 V8 and it get its torque at a much lower RPM and over a greater range. "2.7L EcoBoost produces more torque than General Motors’ venerable 5.3L V-8 – an engine nearly twice the size – in the Chevrolet Silverado".
http://www.wardsauto.com/engines/2018-winner-ford-f-150-27l-ecoboost-twin-turbo-v-6
I didn't say it isn't capable, only that there is more towing going on in the 3.5l group.

All depends on what you're towing....which is going to vary wildly between owners.

In my case it would be a 6X12 enclosed trailer with a couple dirt bikes and gear in there. Be hard pressed to weigh more than 2500 lbs. But the wind resistance is gonna kill the mileage compared if I decide to take my 5X8 open instead.

Even though the 3.5 and 2.7 have torque available at low rpms, didn't those TFL guys like the 5.0 better for towing. Which on how a truck feels is all relative. One guy will love it, while another will hate it. I have driven them all...and I thought the lowly little naturally aspirated V6 was more than adequate for me. And most guys scoff at those.

rruff

Explorer
I thought the lowly little naturally aspirated V6 was more than adequate for me. And most guys scoff at those.

They scoff because you can buy engines with more power, and more is better, right? Adequate power is... just not enough. Trucks are marketed as symbols of status and manliness, so....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier