Adjusting the spring on an FG cab lift mechanism

Heidi

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but a wise man once told us to open both the cab doors before lifting the cab. What a huge difference that made.
Easier is always better!
What a great photo SkiFreak! A big thanks for your time on that!

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
The first time I tilted the cab on my Isuzu with one of the doors open I was quite alarmed at the way the hinges flexed where they are attached to the body. Once the cabin is fully tilted it totally changes the dynamics as the near full weight of the doors is on the hinges in a way I don't think they were designed for. There is very little weight on the hinge in the normal direction. Perhaps the Canter is designed for it.

westyss

Explorer
The first time I tilted the cab on my Isuzu with one of the doors open I was quite alarmed at the way the hinges flexed where they are attached to the body. Once the cabin is fully tilted it totally changes the dynamics as the near full weight of the doors is on the hinges in a way I don't think they were designed for. There is very little weight on the hinge in the normal direction. Perhaps the Canter is designed for it.

Yeah I think you are right on with that, I do not like to leave the doors open with the cab up without support, it just does not feel strong enough to me. I have propped the door up to take some of the weight or also used a bungy cord.

skijunkie

Thanks for all the info. I tried adjusting today but unfortunately I only had enough room to move the adjuster bolt in about two threads before space in the slot on the adjustor ran out. This didn't seem to help anything. On my left hand drive fuso there is a bundle of cables routed through a plastic elbow attach near the spline sleeve that prevents removing the sleeve. So I didn't try moving the sleeve by one spline as I didn't want to mess with detaching more stuff today. Maybe I will attempt again on a day I have more time.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
On my left hand drive fuso there is a bundle of cables routed through a plastic elbow attach near the spline sleeve that prevents removing the sleeve.

That's very interesting, as this is obviously not the case on my truck.
Maybe you can post some pictures, so others can compare their truck you yours.

skijunkie

That's very interesting, as this is obviously not the case on my truck.
Maybe you can post some pictures, so others can compare their truck you yours.

Next time I am in there I will take a picture. Mine is a 2015.

I'm taking my truck in for 2 recalls next week so I might ask the service center about the lift adjust to see what they say.

As an aside, the recalls are for adding an external filter for the transmission fluid (if I remember that correctly) and a recall to swap engine oil to either 10w30 or 5w30. I wasn't paying a lot of attention, I'll get the full details when I take it in. I was just wondering if anyone knows why they issued a recall just to swap engine oil?

drudru

Observer
Fuso 2013

I just did the adjustment on my 2013 Fuso. It was the same mechanism. I am unsure about the older generations, from the pictures it looks to be on the driver side. On mine it is on the passenger side.
Thank you for the information. I asked the dealer a few weeks back, I was told this adjustment was impossible. That I needed to fabricate some sort of assistance mechanism.
Yeah, right. It feels good to do the impossible sometimes :)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I just did the adjustment on my 2013 Fuso. It was the same mechanism. I am unsure about the older generations, from the pictures it looks to be on the driver side. On mine it is on the passenger side.
Thank you for the information. I asked the dealer a few weeks back, I was told this adjustment was impossible. That I needed to fabricate some sort of assistance mechanism.
Yeah, right. It feels good to do the impossible sometimes :)

I'm not surprised. In my experience the single biggest obstacle to the success of Fuso in the North American market is their dealer network.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am unsure about the older generations, from the pictures it looks to be on the driver side.
No, it is always on the passenger's side. It's just that those pictures are from my truck that is a right hand drive vehicle.

I am quite chuffed that I can now say I know more than the Fuso dealers. :)
It actually surprised me that so few people knew about this simple adjustment, as it can make a significant difference.

Last edited:

drudru

Observer
No, it is always on the passenger's side. It's just that those pictures are from my truck that is a right hand drive vehicle.

I am quite chuffed that I can now say I know more than the Fuso dealers. :)
It actually surprised me that so few people knew about this simple adjustment, as it can make a significant difference.

Significant difference? I almost broke my arm because I tried to lift the cab, failed and as it came down nearly got my arm stuck between the locking mechanism and the crashing down cab. Now I can lift it barely with any effort.

Decanter

Adventurer
I just did mine this week on my '13. Almost exactly like the picture posted. Located behind right front bumper corner where fog light sits. Turned the bolt in all the way and now my cab doesn't give me a hernia lifting it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94