Add an "awning" to a cheap tent rainfly?

dbhost

So my primary tent is a cheapo, Ozark Trail 10x14 instant setup Dark Rest model, Overall I actually rather like it, BUT.... the rainfly appears to have the only function of keeping rainwater from running in through the ceiling screens.

I would like some rain protection for entering / exiting the tent.

I typically set up immediately adjascent to a 13x13 EZ Up, and I think, but I am not 100% certain I have a solution.

Spring clamps, and an Ozark Trail shade wall accessory, coated with waterproofer.

Again not 100% sure it will work as oddly enough every time i have set it up, it has been bone dry, but the idea is to clip to the rainfly on one end, clip to the EZ up making a sort of bridge to cover the doorway. Perhaps tying off the middle over the center pole of the rainfly.

Is this more or less the only way to do this? Can anyone think of a better approach to this problem? Aside from interfering with the one guy out point, I have no issues even sewing this on to the fly and making it permanent, maybe even ading some grommets for pole supports?

dbhost

Get a Kelty tarp in the size you need and use dedicated poles to support it. The kite gets bigger with the more things that are attached to each other.
If you want to make your own poles see this thread: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...wning-poles-from-emt-conduit-a-how-to.155034/

I've actually got 4 of the older Coleman Extendible tent poles. The plan, long term, is going to be use them for awning poles for a DIY awning when I finally pull off my camper build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior