A tale of two vans' travels: Over 25 trips together

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thank you, Brian, for the update. I had actually just re-read this thread last week, when something in it popped a search term I'd been using, so of course I got to wondering how T.Low was doing.

It's no secret my Astro was built to directly copy T.Low's, but that was only possible because he was so generous with his time and energy about sharing his experiences and advice. I think it's been almost 10 years since I first cold-emailed him a huge mess of questions and he patiently and diligently answered them all.

Godspeed, Tom.

bbbthreat

My condolences. But I will raise a glass and offer that your friend has safe travels and good tidings, as he embarks on his next adventure. Here is hoping not only yourself, but others will cross paths with him in the next life. I feel fortunate to have witnessed through your postings, the experiences you were able to share together.

marret

Sorry to hear the news. Yes, totally agree, ALS sucks. Godspeed T.Low.

Thanks for the update.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Thank you for the update Brian and so sorry to you and T.Low's family, my condolences.

My experiences with Tom were always internet based and he was exactly as Herbie described, while his (well documented) van and adventures were the inspiration for mine as well.

I hope you're adventuring-on in the great unknown, godspeed T.Low.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I'm another whose Astro build was inspired by T.Low's. Very sad to hear the news. Deepest condolences to all who were close to him. He will be missed.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
My condolences I was always hoping to run across T low out of the trail somewhere... the Vanner Community has lost a great man.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

GNTY

Adventurer
So sad! Prayers go out to his family. I met T.Low down in Moab a number of years ago, so friendly!

Louisd75

Adventurer
Tom's memorial service will be Thursday Nov 1, 2018 at the Bellingham Cruise Terminal (Bellingham WA) at 5:30pm.

Tom was one of the first people I met after moving to B'ham. He showed me lots of areas that I probably would have never found on my own, taught my wife and I everything we know about kayaking, and was an all round awesome person. I didn't have the opportunity to travel with Tom as often as @Railvan, our only multi-day trip was very likely Tom's last as ALS began to really take a toll on his body. I spent lots of time troubleshooting his 2nd hand elevator and wheelchair van lift and he was always there cracking jokes or talking about places to explore while I worked and our kids played. His spirit was indomitable and contagious, he will be missed :(

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks, Louis. If there is an opportunity, please convey the thoughts and prayers on behalf of everyone from both ExPo and the Astro/Safari community. I truly wish I could be there.

Farfrumwork

I echo all the sentiments above... Not what I was expecting in this thread. Very sad.

While I never mat the man, but I first saw his incredible rig on thesamba where he shared knowledge across platforms (as Astro Guy).

RIP Tom

FRAM

Damn I'm saddened to hear of T. Low's passing.

I'm a Jeep Cherokee guy originally from southern Vancouver Island now living on the US border near Blaine. I had just come across T. Low's videos this fall on YouTube and being 6'6" tall I was looking for something I could sleep in when offroad camping while maintaining my desires for small footprint like my XJs.

I started watching all of T. Low's videos and started researching Astros inspired by his build much like it seems Herbie above was before me. I've just bought a 99 AWD Astro recently and thought it was really cool there was this guy living 25 minutes away from me with a really cool van that I could model my on and maybe learn some of the local trails versus the trails I've done in Utah, Yellowstone, Oregon and near Whistler.

I was a little confused at first when I came across the offroad wheelchair video then realized he was having health issues. It seems eerie similar to how things went for my uncle that passed a few years ago from an aggressive form of MS. He passed within 2 years from it at 44. Left behind 2 kids and a wife. It was one of the toughest deaths in my family I've had to deal with in my life and I was only his nephew.

My condolences to the friends and family of T. Low. RIP Tom. It seems you have inspired many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior