A Little Different M416 Trailer Build

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
After getting the linear actuators all mounted up I realized I need a new bezel to fit the switch for the actuators. That lead to building a new tongue box and so on... The box and the bezel both turned out pretty good. The switch bezel is 14 gauge aluminum and I built the tongue box out of 14 gauge steel. I picked up some cheap locking latches and riveted them in... Now to mount the box in place and wire everything up *again*. I didn't think I would be doing this part all over again. I will sure be happy to have the actuators in place though, sssooo much easier, and I can now camp alone if I want to....
Lin1.jpgLin2.jpgLin3.jpgLin4.jpgLin5.jpgLin6.jpgLin7.jpgLin8.jpgLin9.jpgLin10.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
There we go, that feels better. Also with the shape of this box versus my old one I can store alot more in it. Bam...
Now to finish wiring it....... If you want the old harbor freight one I had with the few holes in it PM (Private Message) me. I will not ship it, you need to pick it up locally here in Pierce County Wa...
. .
Box11.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thank you,
I hope to have all the wiring done in the next few weeks. I just need a day of peace and quiet...
I hate doing things twice, but this box has more room and the linear actuators will make life a lot easier.
I am thinking about spraying the linear actuator motors with the black rubber spray like FLexSeal or PlastiDip.
This will help ensure the motor is watertight, but I am not feeling it yet... Still debating.

JEEP/MOJO

Another small victory today, my custom made aluminum Hub Centric Rings came in...
Pretty thick and should do the trick.. Thank you US Wheel Adapters Inc....
those are cool who makes those i have plastic ones on my jeep jk for the wheels i chose they are rather flimzy i wouldnt mind getting them in aluminum for strength of the plastic . the plastic has held up ok for 8 years however there isnt much to them if you look at it .

jeepers29

We recently bought a 416, and have been trying to figure how to get the tent up and awning attached. I am going to be using your ideas. Thank you for sharing. Awesome job.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
We recently bought a 416, and have been trying to figure how to get the tent up and awning attached. I am going to be using your ideas. Thank you for sharing. Awesome job.

Glad I could help.
One thing I would change about the awning mounts is the height. When you make yours ensure you do not block the holes for the spring rod holes for your tent (If you are going to use a CVT tent).
The spring rods are the rods that hold up the window awnings on your tent... spring rod: https://cascadiatents.com/products/gear/pieces-and-parts?product-name=OVERHANG SPRING ROD - SINGLE (SUMMIT)#RPLSSR1
I blocked mine and wasn't thinking about them so I jerry-rigged new mounts...

jeepers29

Glad I could help.
One thing I would change about the awning mounts is the height. When you make yours ensure you do not block the holes for the spring rod holes for your tent (If you are going to use a CVT tent).
The spring rods are the rods that hold up the window awnings on your tent... spring rod: https://cascadiatents.com/products/gear/pieces-and-parts?product-name=OVERHANG SPRING ROD - SINGLE (SUMMIT)#RPLSSR1
I blocked mine and wasn't thinking about them so I jerry-rigged new mounts...
We have a FSR RTT, so no springs, but thanks for the heads up.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
After 3 PM's asking where the lake is that I posted above, lol, posting location.
It is Diablo Lake off of the North Cascades highway (Washington State).
Definitely NOT secluded but an awesome colored lake to stop and paddle on....
There are some good spots along the river to camp as well.
I love a well-lit campsite, thank you Costco....
Camp1.jpg

Last edited:

richmondbob

Adventurer
Hi, Avid Fan here ?
I was thinking how to mount our kayaks onto a future RTT but your actuators just solved the issue - lift the tent up and put them under. Awesome. Man I gotta get working on this before Spring hits.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Lift the tent up, put them under, then lift the tent down until there is slight pressure on the kayaks. Ensure your lid is 14 gauge and rhino lined to help with the bumps off-road...
Then add a strap the the front and one strap to the back and you are done. I also run a cable and padlock through the plug holes to help prevent theft while cruising through cities/towns...
Good luck....

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
With several trips under my belt now I am leaning toward building another trailer like my M416, but I was thinking of doing everything out of aluminum.
My trailer works great, just thinking all aluminum would be lighter and fun to work with in a project.
I would also build the tub portion 12 inches longer and 8 inches wider. The telescoping rack is working out well with the actuators in place, so I would do the same again but also out of aluminum.
I think I would do 2x4 ¼ wall aluminum frame to hold it all together. I would also use the same axle and leaf spring setup again.
The biggest difference would be that I would have the entire backside slide out, making a tray that would hold all of the contents.
It would still look like there was a lid on the M416, but the entire rear would slide out giving access to everything.
I would also have a custom water tank setup underneath (I think).
Just mulling around the new project in my head...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles