A Little Different M416 Trailer Build

chunko

Observer
I do a lot of armchair engineering as I plan out my trailer build and I've thought about a lifting platform like yours and how to raise it mechanically. Besides the options you've mentioned I've thought about using pneumatic actuators. We all have compressors on board, they are waterproof by design, they can go up as fast as you regulate them, and can gently float down. The only thing I'm not sure about is maintenance of the seals.

Btw, I really like your build. Your Jeep and trailer are one of my favorite builds.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thank you...
I thought about pneumatic but I am not crazy about routing the airlines and my compressor is the ARB one in my engine compartment.
With the battery right there in the tongue box I was leaning more towards linear actuators but I am still not committed to that yet....

Snydmax

Anyone else have any better ideas? thank you ahead of time.......

Having just replaced the rear hatch struts on my T4R, my idea would be to try out some “weaker” struts so that they basically only assist with the lifting stroke and the thing practically comes down under its own weight after you unlatch/release it, just slowly and in a controlled manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thought about that, but the struts I have now only get it 85% of the way up, which is right where I wanted it so that it wouldn't be too tough to get back down...
If I went with a lower poundage it would be even tougher to push it the rest of the way up..

old_CWO

How about a single BAL stabilizer jack mounted vertical on one of your legs? You would have to modify it a little bit to work straight up and down rather than at an angle, but it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make that happen. I know those can be spun with an adapter in a cordless drill so it's virtually effortless.

Just a thought.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I have no issue with putting the tent in the up position, the annoying part is getting it all the way down.
I am leaning more towards the linear actuators..... still have to bat the idea around for a while...

jeepers29

I have no issue with putting the tent in the up position, the annoying part is getting it all the way down.
I am leaning more towards the linear actuators..... still have to bat the idea around for a while...

OP, great build. Really impressed with your skills. I just recently bought a 416. It already has been built up to where I want it. Was wondering if you ever put a water tank in and if so, what did you go with? Also, have you used your hot water heater at elevation? Have seen many that say they don't work over 5-6k ft. Thanks for any info and the great write up.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
OP, great build. Really impressed with your skills. I just recently bought a 416. It already has been built up to where I want it. Was wondering if you ever put a water tank in and if so, what did you go with? Also, have you used your hot water heater at elevation? Have seen many that say they don't work over 5-6k ft. Thanks for any info and the great write up.

I did not build in a water tank. I usually carry a few cases of bottled water and a 5 gallon jug of water I use for misc.. Works for the amount of time I usually go out at once.
I am not sure of the elevation I have been at while it (shower) was in use but I would say it would be more than fine for any elevation, it fires up like a jet engine....
Cheers.....

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I see a few folks simply use a modified high reach removable scissor jack to put it up. Lock it, remove jack......To lower, install jack and lower.

Thank you, I think it came out pretty well.
Looking for easy peasy at this point. I have 4 linear actuators on order that are 20" stroke, 120 #'s each, with a speed of 30mm.....
This will make life real simple.... I'll post the install when they come in and I have the chance to mess with them...

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Been a while, I have had my focus on another build but thought I better complete the finishing touch before I move on to my LMTV..
My linear actuators came in a while ago so I will hopefully have some time this weekend or next to replace the gas struts with these.
They are the exact size as the struts with more than enough power and speed than is needed.... They need a little more waterproofing, nice coat of black paint and dust boots (if I can find them this size)...
Trailer.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
This weekend ended up getting the actuators painted, brackets almost made and rocker switch is ready to install.
Most importantly picked up a pie pan this weekend...
Should make some good headway next weekend...

Act3.jpgAct2.jpgAct.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles