99 Ram 24v

freeskier125

Observer
D45 - I used the existing 8ga. wire and 35A inline fuse the amp/subs were hooked up to. I would have run some huge overkill wires but it was already routed, and the inverter only came with short 8ga. wire with clamps on the end. I've only used it a hand full of times, mostly to charge my dewalt batteries when I'm not around a house outlet. I haven't had the camper on the truck this season, but I'm sure I'll find more uses for it then.

I will mention I let the truck sit for a couple weeks and it wouldn't start when I came back, not sure it was related to the inverter, but it does draw some power even when it's off. I now leave the fuse out until I need to use it again.

NorthernWoodsman - A disabled veteran bought the boat (37ft, twin mast, built in the 50's) after loosing his house to foreclosure, hoping to restore it's rotting surface and live on it until a Nor'easter came and sunk it, over a year ago. A couple of salvage divers, also vets, helped him get it to land where it has sat since.

It's in Great Bay, which depending on who you talk with has the 2nd or 3rd or 6th or ..... worst tidal current in the world. With ~16.8 million gallons of water draining/filling every 6 hours, and during rainstorms volume increases by "several million", it can be a pretty dangerous place. I won't admit I was scared, but I've had some sketchy moments in canoes and kayaks.

bloodyWEST - I used this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge/874442-dodge-ram-2500-4x4-dana-60-hub-removal-converison-ford-knuckles.html for reference. On my first browse through I was all sorts of surprised and in awe at a girl wrenching on her 24v, until I looked closely and noticed I went to high school and wheeled with her, small world. I did run into an issue where dodge uses a nut on the outer end of the axle shaft and ford used clips in the diff on the '93 F350 axle I sourced, so I was using the wrong end of both shafts and everything floated back and fourth to the point where it might bind up. I cut a grove and put in a circle clip.

Simply, you keep the dodge axle and center section, and use Ford F350 (92-95? i think, but don't trust that) knuckles, outer axle shaft, spindle, rotors, brakes, hubs, bearings, ect.... So from the ball joints/outer shaft to the hub is ford parts, bigger dual piston brakes, serviceable bearings, and free spinning hubs.

There are other 1/2 ******** ways of doing it, drilling the stock 4 bolt Dodge knuckle to mate up to the Ford's 5 bolt spindle, but I wanted to cannibalize it as properly as I could, I'm looking reliability traveling with the camper and all. I'd be glad to answer any other questions, I found a lot of info missing and had to figure it out along the way.

jps4jeep - Thanks, the bed is showing signs of rot but I keep patching it just about every year for inspection. It's still fairly clean for living in New England but there has been a lot of work and effort in keeping it that way, and it never ends.

Also, the truck is running 285's right now but may go up to a 35-37" tire in the trucks next stage of life. With that in mind, I'm not sure if regearing the truck would do much good when that time comes. I'm kinda at the point where I need to figure out if I plan on keeping the truck "forever" or stop doing so much customizing / frustratingly improving Dodge's imperfections.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great rig Freeskier125! That is the perfect Dodge….standard cab, manual trans, 5.9L Cummins, and now with locking hubs. Sweet!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
That's sad to hear about the vet, like salt in a wound. Tidal exchanges can definitely be quite a ride if you're not careful. If timed right, and they're not too strong, they can be really useful though. Hope the vet and the boat have sunnier days ahead...

19psi

The Devil Made Me
Makes me miss my 99 CTD. Have you thought about doing a 2 lo kit? I made my own out of a Mitsubishi turbo vaccuum switch so that i could run in 2 low, helpful when backing a trailer or other things.

82fb

Adventurer
How about some more pics and details on the Trekker? I had an 81 about 10 years ago. Should never have sold it.

freeskier125

Observer
The trekker belongs to a friend of mine. He bought it after high school down in VA, on the drive home to NH the transfercase (full of water) seised driving up I95 at 1:30am (basically E-brakeing, at 70, at 1:30am). The previous owner just happen to have one in a pile of spare parts in the back seat. Transfercase swap in a truck stop parking lot. He's been cross country 4 times on 3 different motors, one used, honestly, 1/2 a quart of oil every full tank, One blew up going over the Teton Pass on his way back to NH from spending the winter in Jackson Hole. If you think pirate4x4 is full of haters and people ragging on each other, there are still good people out there. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/882021-trekker-need-epic-rescue-jackson-wy.html in 48 hours he had a trailer pick him up and bring him to a shop in Idaho where a 22r was waiting for a transplant, installed and sent him on is way with a packed lunch! All complete strangers going above and beyond, it is almost unbelievable. The truck is full of stories and hopefully many more to come, I'm glad someone else appreciates it.

CIMG0152.jpg

It's pretty much a stock 1st gen Toyota pickup with a through cab, fiberglass bed and cap. It is awaiting out loving attention, he doesn't want to sell it but it's going to be at least a year until he has the time and money to bring it back to its proper state.

Moab

Somwhere in CO above 10,000FT, he said it had almost no more power to move its self. He didn't change the carb for high elevation.

She is ol' faithful. It's currently being used as a yard donkey to pull people (pretty much my and his drunk azz) out.

I have a 81 myself. It's been on the back burner for a couple years collecting parts. Where its at so far; 63" rears, RUF, Home brew 6 stud high steer, V6 vented front brakes, rear disks, F+R cable actuated e-lockers, dual t-case, sliders, gussets, trusses, armor... and plan on running Q78's when the day comes. I've had a hand full of toyotas (2wd, 4wd, 4runners) and this dodge is the first full size I have owned. I wasn't sure about the regular cab but its grown on me and I love it.

Most of my photos are in its disassembled state.
CIMG0437.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior