94 SR 3.8 DOHC Project

CharlieNorth

Oil filter, The 3.8 car filter location works fine in my SR, plumbing to the cooler must have been straight forward since I do not remember it. I had done this swap in late 2006 when I bought the two inop 95 SRs from a dealer that is halfway across NYS.
The image below, it is rather slimy but I have put 100K trouble free miles. The sheetmetal sump took some rework to clear the iron part of the diff housing.
The filter in my Pajero-Mivec swap is giving me fits, it is tight to the diff, I guess that engine is lower and back a bit. That chassis had no viable engine mounts since it already had another swap.

ojig9Z5.jpg

CharlieNorth

In this shot I was trial fitting the Galant fuel manifold and injectors. If I recall I used the SR fuel rails and regulator under the SR intake, just needed to make shorter standoffs for the fuel rails to suit the short injectors.
9VCqAVH.jpg

Justice R

Adventurer
Oil filter, The 3.8 car filter location works fine in my SR, plumbing to the cooler must have been straight forward since I do not remember it. I had done this swap in late 2006 when I bought the two inop 95 SRs from a dealer that is halfway across NYS.
The image below, it is rather slimy but I have put 100K trouble free miles. The sheetmetal sump took some rework to clear the iron part of the diff housing.
The filter in my Pajero-Mivec swap is giving me fits, it is tight to the diff, I guess that engine is lower and back a bit. That chassis had no viable engine mounts since it already had another swap.

ojig9Z5.jpg
Charlie, thanks for the pics. I was going to ask about the oil cooler. Seems like the oil filter adapter from the sr will not fit to the 3.8 oil pump. I need to double check that. Is there another adapter I need to look for off another model? My SR oil pan already has the indent for the differential and is shaped differently than the one above. Did you use a different pan?

CharlieNorth

I need to look at my engine swaps again, the '95 with a straight 3.8 Galant lower has oil cooler fitting. I need to confirm that, yet the 08 Mivec engine does not have cooler fittings. We might get a break in the rain tomorrow, I might go outside and look. But parts book first.

Justice R

Adventurer
I need to look at my engine swaps again, the '95 with a straight 3.8 Galant lower has oil cooler fitting. I need to confirm that, yet the 08 Mivec engine does not have cooler fittings. We might get a break in the rain tomorrow, I might go outside and look. But parts book first.

From what I’ve found, there are two different oil pumps used on the V6’s. Crossover and non crossover. Crossover puts the oil filter on the passenger side, non crossover on the drivers side. The 3.8 block is drilled and tapped for the non crossover. The crossover housing goes up higher as the oil passes over and across the front of the block to the drivers side where the oil port inlet in the block is, So, looking at that, as far as I can tell the the only montero to come with a non crossover oil pump and an oil cooler was the 95 and 96 LS with the 3.0 SOHC 24v. sports also have this non crossover pump but they don’t have an oil cooler so, they aren’t a donor for the adapter. Finding the adapter in the yard will be difficult and I believe the bolt pattern will not match the 3.8 oil pump I’ve already installed on the block. I’ll probably run an aftermarket sandwich adapter with a thermostat most likely.

If doing over again a 3.5 sport oil pump with 95-96 oil filter adapter might be a better choice

CharlieNorth

The rain has let up now for a few hours, I need to look at the filter housing in my 95 SR. I run a cooler on a driver side filter housing. I have no memory of what I sourced it from. If anything I need to replicate it for the Mivec engine. I spent time in ASA last night but still do not recall how I built it.
I am considering pulling the engine from my Pajero and swapping the front cover.

Justice R

Adventurer
The rain has let up now for a few hours, I need to look at the filter housing in my 95 SR. I run a cooler on a driver side filter housing. I have no memory of what I sourced it from. If anything I need to replicate it for the Mivec engine. I spent time in ASA last night but still do not recall how I built it.
I am considering pulling the engine from my Pajero and swapping the front cover.
3.5 sport oil pump and 95-96 Monter LS oil filter adapter is probably what you need (as well as me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior