86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
Yep the optishift by US Shift, it is what Jakes sells with their trans if you need it.

http://www.usshift.com/

Looks really straight forward. Also found out that Jake has the line pressure set and you cant adjust it with the controller, so no worry of getting it to low or too high while playing with all the other settings available.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would be really interested in hearing what you have to do to make a 4L80E trans work with an older set-up. Please post detailed info as this has me intriqued...:drool:

warwgn

Explorer
It is not hard at all, have done it once already. Just need a Throttle position sensor, which is a mechanicaly activated switch, hooks up to the carb via a cable which moves as throttle is applied and gives a voltage reading to the brain box. All the other connections are very easy, 12V+, ground, tach feed, then the harness plugs into the trans, and a speed sensor from the T-case. I already have converted the mechanical cable to a electronic feed using an autometer converter when I bought my new speedo guage.

that link I gave about has a link for a PDF file with connection instructions, but I will be taking pics and stuff as I put it in this time too. Big things are moving the cross member back 2" so gotta drill new holes to bolt it up, lengthen the front shaft by 2" and shorten the rear by 2". Connecting the shifter can be a big deal but since I have a B&M ratchet shifter I just swap out the bracket that bolts to the tranny pan and connect the cable. Oh and a new dipstick tube, other than that it just bolts it.

barefoot boy

Observer
Thanks for the response. Like Chilliwak, I am very interested in the 4L80e programmer and programming. I am completing the installation of a Powertrain Control Solution (PCS) controller on the 4L80e in my project truck and will start the programming in the near future. I looked at the US Shift programmer (as well as TCI) when I started on my project, and it looks good. The reason I went with the PCS was that is what the Cummins adapter folks I was dealing with used.

warwgn

Explorer
I had the TCI controller last time and it was not to bad either, I was jackin around in it and think I made the line presure too high and blew the pump seal or what ever it was and that is what killed the trans. It did shift so hard the front end about came off the ground!!!

barefoot boy

Observer
That's sort of why I am real interested in your tuning/programming:) I hope the Cummins swap people I bought my package from will provide some tech support on the tuning. I do understand your transmission has a fixed line pressure and thus will be different from mine. I am enjoying following your project!

warwgn

Explorer
So made the trip Friday, left at 3:30 Friday morning and got home 23hrs later at 2:30 Saturday morning. Weather was great and enjoyed the ride no real issues other than the trans got loose in the trailer and wreaked havoc in a couple spots on the inside but the trans was fine so no biggie.

and the lock up torque converter with billet cover, aint it sexy!!

Picked up a tranny jack from harbor freight yesterday and all the way up it measures 24" the pan on the TH400 right now measures 28" off the ground so gonna do some welding and brackets to make it a bit taller. Could have rented one but been in the same boat other than I could not weld on the rented one and would be a lot more work to use it. This was only the cheap $89 450 Lb scissor lift style, but I hope this is the only time I really use it.

Anyway, plan to start on it tomorrow at least get the jack modified to work safe and easy for me. I need to call Jakes too, the control unit seems to be missing the bracket and sender for the carb TPS. I ordered it with one so will need that, I do still have the old one from the TCI unit and it is remot mount and might use it if the US Shift one does not bolt up to the carb easy. I got plenty of time to sort all that out, still gotta get it all bolted up and lines run and drive shaft adjusted. also looks like it has AN fitting for the lines, never used them but these look like quick disconnect fittings, guess I need to look into those.

warwgn

Explorer
Yep should be just high enough, it's set up perfect for the 4L80 the pan is cradled inside the 2x4's and the lip of the pan sits on top of the wood. Now the question is will the th400 fit in it just as nice for pulling it out?? Might find out by tomorrow or maybe today, plan to start pulling driveshafts and stuff tonight and get the t-case out.

As a side note called Jakes and told them my issues, seems they put the factory style fitting for a newer model vehicle cooling lines, no biggie they will send me a set of -6 AN fittings for $25 bucks, and they were supposed to call me back yesterday about the TPS sensor but didnt so will call in a few to see what is up with that. But I did learn about AN fittings after a little reading yesterday and think I am gonna up gradeall my hose clamps to hard line rigging and put -6 AN fittings on all my stainless steel braided hose and connect everything that way.

warwgn

Explorer
Prolly Monday or so. The tps was a bit of an issue, seems they don't have one made for a q jet 800 so they are sending me one for a holly and say I will need to fab a bracket and cable maybe. I do still have the old one so between the two I am sure I can figure something out.

warwgn

Explorer
Got the drive shafts out and tcase drained, and the support bar off and tcase shifter disconnected. Tomorrow will take the lines off take the trans pan off to drain it......well think will just drill a hole in the pan to minimize the mess, then take the trans mount bolts out. Prolly have my buddy over saturday morning and pull the big stuff out and put the new trans in then start wiring and running lines.

got a ways to go but the project is under way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94