6x6 defender off road camper build

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Thanks for the encouragement, it can sometimes be hard to keep motivation up on a project of this size, especially as I am still just taking things off!

Not much to show from the last week or two, continued to sand back the body and get everything preped for paint. I measured up to see if a 6bd1 would fit and it would, but not without modification to a lot of other parts (moving the gearbox back, trans tunnel mods, mounts, prop shafts, gear linkage) so I will stick to my original plan of an Intercooled 4BD1-T.

I am not going to have the chance to work on the truck now until next month but then I am starting an 8-on 6-off roster with work so I should be able to spend a lot more time on the build. In the meantime I am getting assistance with the fabrication and painting (beyond my limited skill), hopefully by the time I see it next, it will be re-water tight and rust free.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
As always things are progressing slower than hoped. We discovered more rust in the roof so have pulled the sheet off to be replaced, whilst we have the chance we are going to put a raised section in the middle so I can stand up properly. This should be final few steps in stripping it down before we rebuild, so a good landmark. This means I now need to start spending money

null_zps257749ce.jpg

null_zps634e7fbe.jpg

null_zpscbe8337d.jpg

I also treated myself to this: We wouldnt want anyone thinking that it is a lazy 3rd axle i am dragging behind me!

6d27819d-3445-4382-a0f4-1fedac07a7f4_zpsaea58e82.jpg

monkeynuts

Great thread and look forward to seeing it develop!
I have a 6x6 defender camper at the moment (registration L 6WD R!) and another 6x6 with an FD35T lump in it which is currently a single cab tipper, that I'd like to find the time to put a camper box on the back of...daunting project, but so by tempting...
Keep up the hard work :)

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Well I have gone on a spending spree and bought myself:

ISUZU NPR 4BD1-T - I am now tracking down all the bits I need to convert it to fit the LR. I got fed up of searching for a good Land Rover 4BD1 to come up so bit the bullet and bought the truck motor.
Ashcroft 4.1 R&Ps. 2x salisbury and 1x rover
Webasto diesel heater - figured I needed to buy this early in the game as I will be cutting holes for fuel, air intake and exhaust.
Maxtrax mounting pins - not the tracks yet, just the mounting pins, they will be going on the back wall/roof section and I want to make some more substantial mounting points

Currently chasing quotes for the rebuild of the diffs, installing the new R&Ps and fitting of lockers on all 3 axles.

My wallet is hurting but I have a very understanding girlfriend so cant complain too much!

MarkIIa

Observer
So no 6BD1T?
The truck 4BD1T is a smart move, it'll have the piston oil squirters and better pistons already. A good thing if you plan on putting decent boost into it, which you'll want with the weight of it!

What lockers are you going for? I have seen pics of a JLR civvy sixby where the owner fitted freewheel hubs on the rearmost axle. Sure, its another weak point introduced into the system, but if you had a Detroit in the back it'd look after your tyres a bit better! You would be susceptible to propshaft spline wear like a Series with freewheel hubs though. Something to keep in mind once it is all together.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I measured up for the 6bd1 and the extra length, whilst do-able would have meant moving the gearbox back, modifying the firewall, transmission tunnel, mounts, new props etc. I decided to go down the well troden path of the Truck 4BD1T. The plan is to fit the Borgwarner EFR6258 turbo and intercool plus play with the fuel screw a bit.
I have seen a civvy 6x6 with freewheeling rears, I wont be doing it with the initail build but it isnt something i have ruled out for the future.
my paln is to fit ARB lockers. I had initially looked at the maxidrive but my non standard axle length make it harder, plus with planned travel to the americas i figured there would be more support for ARB if something brakes.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I have been busy but no pictures with this update! The frame for the new roof is all in, welded and painted with red oxide. The sheet for the roof is all cut and folded ready to go on. I have bought my fiamma awning and some maxtrax mounting pins so I can weld in substantial mounting points before the roof is fixed in place.
I have all the land rover/isuzu specific bits i need as well as 12v alternater and starter for the 4bd1t, still deciding what turbo i will fit.
My diffs are currently with arb who are installing lockers and new ratios in all three.
I have bought the draw runners for the internal build and the slid out camper kitchen/bbq as this will need to be cut into the body before painting.
I have also decided to modify the boot (trunk), i was originally an 'L' shape to allow for a rear bench seat. This made the boot small and left an area that would be difficult to access with the bed.

Next up is: *attach the mounting points for awning and maxtrax,
*rivet/glue on the new roof,
*weld in new boot and cut slide out kitchen hatch,
* drop the gearbox and give it a once over
*prep the motor for install

I am trying to get it on the road before Christmas!

Jitterbug

Adventurer
It has been a while since my last update:

The roof is now on, the slide out BBQ and locker have been built, new fuel filler installed to the rear tank, rear locker for gas cylinders is built, rear side window blanked (and extended a couple of inches so i can lie flat in bed).

The diffs have all been rebuilt including: ashcroft 4.1 ring and pinions, maxi-drive axles (hy tough), ARB lockers in all 3, arb diff covers. I then got the rear two axles converted to disc brakes. These are now back under the truck so it is rolling again for the first time in months. The colour scheme of red/blue is not deliberate and will likely be painted black at some point in the future.

The rear side facing seat is being installed at the moment with a locker underneath. I am using the rear bench seat out of a TJ jeep so it folds up easily to get to the stuff underneath.

The gearbox has been rebuilt with new seals and gaskets, everything else in there looked pretty good so happy with that.

My Borg Warner EFR 6258 is sat in a box waiting to be fitted to the motor.

The inside has been given a coat of redoxide and is actually starting to look slightly livable!

null_zpsf2b0718e.jpg

null_zpsc48c6f72.jpg

null_zps4fcf60f4.jpg

25AC98A6-2C5A-4EF8-8DCA-7D5A1287C916_zpshsg1i6re.jpg

972B07B0-0E23-40F4-8FCA-42115B7852B4_zpsuozhlnvj.jpg

8A2B16DF-801C-4152-A834-AD70CDFC822C_zpsldg7zian.jpg

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I have also got hold of some stratos suspension seats that i will be fitting up front.
And I made use of my parents visiting from the UK and filled a suitcase with a lot of parts, door seal, trim, Mud console etc. I have quite a stockpile now and, other than the intercooler I have pretty much everything I need to get the thing on the road. Now it is just a case of finding the time to fit it all!

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Very, very impressive. First time I have even seen a 6x6 LR - did not know they existed. Looking like one heck of a setup!

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Very, very impressive. First time I have even seen a 6x6 LR - did not know they existed. Looking like one heck of a setup!

Thanks for that. This is one of the defenders that Jaguar Landrover Australia developed as part of the Aus military contract. This one went straight into civilian hands and was converted into a tourist bus for the remote top end of Australia. Coincidently the Aus military is currently auctioning off all of it's land rovers, including 6WD. That are replacing them with g-wagons, including 6WD versions!

Jitterbug

Adventurer
The diffs are all back under and it is rolling so we have moved it out of the shed whilst I quickly fit a new driveline to my 90 to get it on the road and me back camping again. The build will continue after Christmas staring with painting the roof and getting it water tight again!
C2AC8669-0122-4C89-9CC9-6C62D43C11AB_zpsqbc7vixz.jpg

C067D6FB-E653-48A7-AE66-02AD5C9E6333_zps7p33nlvg.jpg

Jitterbug

Adventurer
The 6x6 has been put on hold for a few weeks whilst i devote my time to getting my other project on the road. This one is the oposite end of the scale for defenders.

1984 LR 90 now running a 350 chev (around 350 to 400bhp), through Nissan GQ patrol 5 speed box and diffs.

Aiming to have it on the road for an xmas camping trip. About 50:50 that I will get it done in time...

40CC119B-5283-4C84-80B2-6043D5A82F00_zpsfkicn6qr.jpg

The plan is for a bit less lift and 33" tyres then use this as my daily drive and fun car. The 6x6 is my longer term camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles