4x4 really necessary?

motorman

You mention Forest Service roads and sounds like you plan to be in North America? so I'm not clear why you want an older mechanical truck.
But on to your question. The answer is it all depends. Every vehicle has limitations. if it gets muddy and you have 2WD (well or 4WD) and you just cannot go you need options - Wait a day or two for the mud to clear, use a winch, MaxTrax, branches (please remove them when done), or go another way. You will always find a track where it is too muddy to travel - with 2WD that will just happen sooner - but you have options (just mentioned) that you will need whether you are 2WD or 4WD. And if you think it cannot be done read about Dot Becker driving her RWD Ford van from Europe to Zimbabwe down the west coast of Africa. Of course, Dot is one of the best off road drivers I've ever seen.

will probably only venture in the US & Canada, possibly Mexico but that is the limit
i want an older mechanical truck because it is what i am familiar with and comfortable wrenching on not to mention the historical longevity
have owned mechanical diesels for 25 years and favor reliability and simplicity of the engine bay and cab console with relays & cable actuated levers over computer assisted anything (car related)
options is what i am considering and appreciate the reminder that time is also an option. conditions can improve if one merely wait

motorman

I very seldom use 4x4 but, use 2WD low range regularly to control speed over rough sections and for climbing. For that reason alone, I would go with a 4x4 transfer case.

Our shop maintains multiple fire departments that run corn binders for their mainline brush trucks, international has access to all the parts needed to convert a used truck to 4x4, or you can search for used brush trucks and modify one to suit your needs.

Whichever way you go I have to commend your choice of truck and power train, DT466 is honestly the best medium duty diesel engine ever built and will surely outlast your use.

How often are you using the 4wd in your current setup?

thanks again for all the 'focus' and appreciate the admonition!!!
i have always found myself on the road less traveled both personally and professionally so why should a truck be any different
i have been trying to rationalize certain decisions and compromise but it is reaffirmed that 4x4 is not necessarily a requirement but would definitely be preference
and looking for an older 4x4 mechanical diesel 'spartan' vehicle will increase the longevity and the legacy i am hoping to create with the next generation

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Yes.
Absolutely.
At least, IMHO, and for what I like to do.
Afterall, it's caller "overLANDing" not "overROADing".
OK, sure, you will go over the "road" 80, or 90% of the time to get close to where you are going, but then you will hit the trail to get to your final destination.
That's where the adventure begins...
It's that last bit though... You don't necessarily need a rock buggy, but you DO need at least SOME type of 4x4 capability. Your whole trip is centered around going over the LAND.
It depends on exactly the places you want to go... but most overlanders I know of (me for damn sure) want the experience of being out in the wilderness, and traveling all alone like some kind of long ago pioneer.
Seeing God's country the way it was meant to be seen, unspoiled by concrete, and asphalt.
To do that, (unless you're fine with parks) you'll be traveling on trails through the mountains, woods, and desert... going through creeks, and over obstacles that our forefathers had to with horse drawn wagons.
There will be mud, snow, sand, rocks, steep hills...
Yeah, I say you need 4 wheel drive.
At least I do.

Last edited:

Furaites

4WD is just another tool. It can help get you out, or help take you to far.

if you have the platform, try it before you modify it…if you know of a not so remote place to test it all the better.

I live in Newfoundland Canada, and unfortunately we do not have a lot of trees or other winching points to run off, and when running an F350 it is unlikely a Jeep will pull you out(not impossible but unlikel).

In saying that, I am only tryI get to Impress the idea of other “tools” Besides 4WD.

Good luck, Safe Travels and Tons of Fun

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Re the crew cab...
Yes, you need seating for a few extra, but seating in a crew cab uses lots of space that has little other purpose.
You need to provide a second set of seating in the house section for all of those backsides.
Instead, consider building the house seating so it can be used while travelling and get a bigger house for your bucks.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

motorman

well chuckles almost let the cat out of the bag . . .
my name is 'big ugly' and i have a sickness

peter, you are so very correct
not having the crew cab allows for 3+ feet of box / habitat

and 4x4 is essential
not for mode of travel but for extrication from poor choices

regardless it now mine but will be shelved until i complete my ambo
pulled the build card during the due diligence stage

Tulsa Truck 4x4 w/ high & low transfer case
300HP DT 530 w. 73k miles
Allison 654 5 speed transmission
5.38 gears
152" wheelbase w/ double frame
AC is there and works!

the 'real' value is in the 4x4, low mile low hr DT530 air ride rear and air ride seats
the cab is probably the easiest thing to change and i live an hr from LKQ heavy truck and there are tons of cabs available

ideas running around my head like a schizophrenic squirrel

overdue ambo update is in the works

1651319177495.png

1651319222302.png

1651319260446.png

billiebob

so now the question
is 4x4 really necessary for solo travel?
would a manual trans, high clearance, aggressive tires and rear locker be enough?
4WD is or was a luxury. Absolutely NO NEED for 4WD to go anywhere.
50 years ago 4WD was the utilitaroan option for the freaks who did stupid things, the rest of us did it all with RWD.

The advantage of 4WD today is 4LO which lets you crawl thru stuff you needed momentum with in 2WD.
But all 4WD guarantees is once you get stuck.... you will be royally stuck.

I use 2WD till I get stuck.... then I use 4WD to backup.

4WD is great until you think you are invincible. Do you need it, No.... driving skills and 2WD can do it all.

The other end of 4WD is the ability to crawl and tread lightly.
2WD often needs momentum, speed, hard on everything. And 2WD means harder on the loud pedal, harder on the terrain as tires spin.
4WD and 4LO means lower speeds, easy on everything. Double the traction literally so way easier to Tread Lightly.

Do you NEED 4WD, no. Does it offers advantages, yes.

Few of us need 4WD but 80% of us can't get thru a parking lot on a snow day without it.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
4WD is or was a luxury. Absolutely NO NEED for 4WD to go anywhere.
I don't buy that.
You will not get across the Simpson (and a lot of other places) in Australia in anything more than a beach buggy without 4WD.
I use 2WD till I get stuck.... then I use 4WD to backup.
This is considered very bad form. It causes a lot of unnecessary track damage.
The scolloping on this track is due to wheel spin and could have been reduced by lower tyre pressures. Travelling these tracks in 2WD does even more damege.

I prefer to be in 4WD any time we are off the black top. Better for the tyres, better for handling and braking, better for the road.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Joe917

Explorer
We have been places that are easily accessible with 2wd until it rains. Then if you have enough food and water till the tracks dry out 4wd is not needed.

billiebob

I don't buy that.
You will not get across the Simpson (and a lot of other places) in Australia in anything more than a beach buggy without 4WD.
This is considered very bad form. It causes a lot of unnecessary track damage.
The scolloping on this track is due to wheel spin and could have been reduced by lower tyre pressures. Travelling these tracks in 2WD does even more damege.

I prefer to be in 4WD any time we are off the black top. Better for the tyres, better for handling and braking, better for the road.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
You obviously reacted before reading the entire post, cheers from Canada.

billiebob

The BIG advantage of 4WD is not the ability to not get stuck.... because when you get stuck with 4WD you are royally stuck.

The advantage is Treading Lightly.

With 2WD 2 wheels have to push the other 2 wheels. Add soft sand, deep mud, wet grass and the power needed to overcome the drag of the undriven axle will often exceed the traction coefficient of the driven axle leading to a heavy right foot and terra firma ripped up.

With 4WD there is no undreiven axle to push thru the soggy bits. All 4 tires are pulling themselves together. Rather than 20HP going to 2 tires... 10HP each, 20HP os going to 4 tires.... 5HP each. You stand a much better chance of Treading Lightly and still getting there with 4WD.

BUT do you NEED 4WD to overland, no cuz at least stuck with 2WD will be a far easier recovery than stuck with 4WD.

Then there is the advantage of 4WD Low Range.....

This is a huge advantage once the road gets rough and rutted. 4LO lets you slow right down and get thru anything without scrambling the eggs. If you have an automatic transmission 4LO will relieve a lot of stress on the transmission. The transmission will run cooler. Same with a clutch in a manual transmission. Regardless of the transmission where you were giving copious amounts of throttle to keep moving, engage the torque converter or not stall the clutch, 4LO will let you idle thru or over what were difficult obstacles in 2WD. .... or even 4HI

Any time I find myself bouncing over the rough parts or playing with the clutch / throttle to keep moving I shift into 4LO. 4LO in 3rd gear is often smoother with far more control than 4HI in 1st gear.

Just exploring on a day trip with zero camping gear we will run up the mountain to the forestry lookout tower in 4HI, 2ND gear giving fabulous range of speed and power running up the mountain trail.... then come down in 4LO, 3rd gear giving a restricted speed range and wonderful engine braking into the switchacks. For me the challenge is to never touch the brakes. 4LO is a great tool for overlanding.

I'll likely never go exploring with 2WD. I'll always love 4LO. After 10 years with selectable lockers in both axles I'll never buy any less. One thing I might pass on is the winch which I have not needed in 10 years with Lockers. But those are all just tools, you can go anywhere with a lot less.... these guys did it all in a car body built from paper mache.... if you can build it light enough there is no need for technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles