4Runner SR5 - Can it be upgraded

RickSut

Wow.. I didn't mean to cause so much "theoretical " discussion over my ride...LOL. Such passion!!. (BTW...- 2017 SR5-Prem $25k & 9K miles) ... And I watch a lot of "4 wheeling" You tube videos and it seems, though they are overwhelming about jeeps, it seems the jeeps are always breaking down on trail and the 4Runners are just plugging along, occasionally needing a pull to get unstuck, but never breaking down. I have seen no less than 10 jeeps catch on fire in the last 5 years, and as a former Chrysler employee who could get one very cheap, I will NEVER own another jeep. (I did own one in 1982 - a CJ-5, Fun, indestructible)

Even if someone gets the TRD-pro with the E-locker in the rear, you might eventually want to add one to the front?? So your still going to be needing all the other stuff.

To hijack this post (Its still mine though isn't it?) When do you air down. I drove through the mountains on an old dirt road (NC 105) and the washouts were significant but not bad. I was wondering if the ride would be a lot better if I had aired down, or if thats really just for traction improvement. Or would a change to an ICON suspension be the better change to smooth out the ride? My goal in life is to keep my dogs water from spilling all over the back of the vehicle... LOL

surfobx2009

Wow.. I didn't mean to cause so much "theoretical " discussion over my ride...LOL. Such passion!!. (BTW...- 2017 SR5-Prem $25k & 9K miles) ... And I watch a lot of "4 wheeling" You tube videos and it seems, though they are overwhelming about jeeps, it seems the jeeps are always breaking down on trail and the 4Runners are just plugging along, occasionally needing a pull to get unstuck, but never breaking down. I have seen no less than 10 jeeps catch on fire in the last 5 years, and as a former Chrysler employee who could get one very cheap, I will NEVER own another jeep. (I did own one in 1982 - a CJ-5, Fun, indestructible)

Even if someone gets the TRD-pro with the E-locker in the rear, you might eventually want to add one to the front?? So your still going to be needing all the other stuff.

To hijack this post (Its still mine though isn't it?) When do you air down. I drove through the mountains on an old dirt road (NC 105) and the washouts were significant but not bad. I was wondering if the ride would be a lot better if I had aired down, or if thats really just for traction improvement. Or would a change to an ICON suspension be the better change to smooth out the ride? My goal in life is to keep my dogs water from spilling all over the back of the vehicle... LOL
Airing down benefits both traction and ride quality, for a forest road like NC105 dropping ~10 psi will help smooth things out.

BTW lockers aren't needed in a 4th or 5th gen 4runner... A-Trac works well and in my experience you'll run out of clearance long before you run out of traction

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A suspension upgrade on a standard SR5 would make for a huge improvement in regards to ride and handling off-road. You got a fantastic deal, keep it and upgrade things as you see fit. You'll find you need far less than you imagine. Congrats on the new ride, now post some pics and make a build thread for it so we all can follow along on your journey with you.

RickSut

A suspension upgrade on a standard SR5 would make for a huge improvement in regards to ride and handling off-road. You got a fantastic deal, keep it and upgrade things as you see fit. You'll find you need far less than you imagine. Congrats on the new ride, now post some pics and make a build thread for it so we all can follow along on your journey with you.

I'll do a build thread as soon as I start building something. Which may start in the latter part of the next year. The stock tires are good and money is a little tight with the market doing whats its doing. My first exterior mod will be tires and suspension. but, I also have a 13yr old german shepherd who would prefer I do a chop job instead of a lift. So we will see where he is in his journey before we do too much to lift the vehicle. (Lifting him is a chore) Right now I am researching radio and Ipad/Navigation mounting inside. (Not sure why I need them, I have Never been lost, just finding new places to explore .. :):eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

RickSut

Hendricks Toyota in Kannapolis, NC, Outisde of Charlotte. The deal wasn't as good as I thought, as I did Trade in a 2006 Explorer and a 2006 Honda CRV, both with over 200,000 miles. Both looking to cost me another $5K in the up coming year. But they did have it listed for $28K when I first found it. I had a 2016 I was to pick up the next day from a different dealer for $32K w/38K miles. The only real difference is this one has a stupid sliding table in the back, the other one was just open cargo space. And Mine had a front fender damage on the car fax at 3K miles that the dealer repaired. It appeared the original driver thought it was too big to drive on the narrow roads and to park and kept hitting things so traded it for a carolla which they probably gave her a really good deal.. Like maybe 30% off sticker with her 4Runner trade in... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RickSut

The car FAX said that it had the front Right Headlight and fender replaced. I looked for any evidence at all of any repairs or replaement or even paaint. Every thing was perfect, not a scratch or evidence bolt being touched, The dealer said it was a trade-in because the buyer had decided it was too big for them as they had scraped something trying to park it . Their loss, my gain.. I'll take it. Now to decide how to run the cost up to $35000...LOL

RickSut

Okay, I've been playing around as advised. Its a very capable vehicle. Seems like there isn't much excitement where I have taken it, it just goes through or over whatever I send it through. However, I am usually alone and in very weird places, so we added a winch. Watched a lot of videos on doing it and so did it myself. Funny how those "Sponsored videos" never really tell the whole story... So I made my own !!! https://youtu.be/nPkNm7oXlPM

Now I need to decide on those tires, but I'm told if I get a lift I will need different wheels or they will rub. Any truth to that?!

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Winch and bumper looks clean man!

In a nut shell, you may want to run different wheels with a wider offset to avoid tire rub on the inner fender liner and body mounts if you run a 33" or larger tire with 2.5-3" front suspension lift. It isn't exactly cut and dry though. You'd be best served scanning the suspension forums for information on the exact lift and tire setup you have in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles