4Runner SR5 - Can it be upgraded

Dalko43

Explorer
I think the highlighted is incorrect. Yes, the ARB "costs" money... so too does taking a bath on a vehicle to trade it in for something that has an elocker…. that elocker will end up costing many times more than the ARB if the above guidance is followed...

How much of a "bath?"

How old is the vehicle and what would a dealer or private party offer for it?

ARB locker, installation, air compressor....you're looking at $2k at the very minimum.

And that's the sort of a job where you really need to make sure you're dealing with an experienced installer...plenty of examples of arb lockers malfunctioning because of a bad installation. Factory-installed e-locker, covered by a factory warranty, may very well be worth the extra cost (if there is extra cost) in some peoples books simply for the peace of mind.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
How much of a "bath?"

How old is the vehicle and what would a dealer or private party offer for it?

ARB locker, installation, air compressor....you're looking at $2k at the very minimum.

And that's the sort of a job where you really need to make sure you're dealing with an experienced installer...plenty of examples of arb lockers malfunctioning because of a bad installation. Factory-installed e-locker, covered by a factory warranty, may very well be worth the extra cost (if there is extra cost) in some peoples books simply for the peace of mind.

ECGS set up 3rd with ARB is ~1750.

If OP sells his 4Runner outright and buys another one... Let's say - by some miracle - he only pays $1000 more for the new one than he gets from the old one, private party. Then he has to pay taxes/tags on his new one. Boom... back to same price as an ARB... But a helluva lot more work for a locker that isn't technically as strong. So what's the value in starting over??

And before we get into "elockers are stronger than ARB" arguments... they are not. I have run both - numerous quantities of both.

EDIT: One additional thought... if we're going to recommend the OP get a "better" factory built vehicle.... shouldn't we technically be recommending a JKU/JLU Rubicon? After all, it comes with tires, lockers, sway bar disconnects, sliders, etc... :p

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And before we get into "elockers are stronger than ARB" arguments... they are not. I have run both - numerous quantities of both.
The only stock non-Cruiser Toyota locker that may be stronger is the 3rd gen Tacoma Harrop e-locker in the rear. You are 100% that the Air Locker is stronger than a factory 8" e-locker. I see zero justification for swapping trucks just to get one that's already installed.

One may argue about retrofitting a Toyota e-locker over an Air Locker. There's more in the pro vs con decision than strictly absolute strength, though. I personally prefer the e-locker after dealing with Air Lockers that leak past the seals. If I was to suggest anything it would be to build a diff with the Eaton/Harrop locker rather than either the stock Toyota or ARB lockers. But I've never personally owned an Eaton, so that's only theoretical.

Last edited:

KTempleton

Observer
There is nothing wrong with your SR5. Especially with the deal you got. We were looking at used Trail editions and ended up with a smoking deal on a new 2018 SR5 4x4. We had the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree the following week and the wife wanted to take the 4Runner over my built Tundra. So we took a bone stock SR5 (we did pull off the wheels and tires and slapped a worn out set of all terrains on 4th gen wheels) with 200 miles on it with paper plates to an offroad park that saw a ton of rain the days prior. I was sketched with trail conditions, but was super amazed how it handled it with the built rigs in our group. There was one spot where we hit the gas tank skid but that was the most of it. 90% of our offoad adventures is on the beach camping, fishing or surfing. It's perfect for that. We will eventually mess with the suspension and bigger tires but for now they work. Play with it. See what it will do, learn the features. I will probably do a rear locker later. But why mess with a 10 year / 100k warranty right now.

Dalko43

Explorer
ECGS set up 3rd with ARB is ~1750.

If OP sells his 4Runner outright and buys another one... Let's say - by some miracle - he only pays $1000 more for the new one than he gets from the old one, private party. Then he has to pay taxes/tags on his new one. Boom... back to same price as an ARB... But a helluva lot more work for a locker that isn't technically as strong. So what's the value in starting over??

Well some of this is just speculation on your part. If the OP can sell his 4runner and get into a TRD Pro or TRD offroad for not much of a loss, I think he should it.

I never said the OEM e-locker was stronger than the ARB locker. I did note that the ARB locker can have the potential for problems if the install isn't done correctly....it's not exactly a simple procedure. And even if the install is done correctly, issues with the air lines are not uncommon. OEM e-locker isn't weak...I've rarely heard of one breaking.

EDIT: One additional thought... if we're going to recommend the OP get a "better" factory built vehicle.... shouldn't we technically be recommending a JKU/JLU Rubicon? After all, it comes with tires, lockers, sway bar disconnects, sliders, etc... :p

Well no, because it's a Jeep and not a Toyota....

If he wants to wheel around with a SR5, that's fine. But if he is going to dump tons money and effort into this vehicle in the form of modifications (which seems to be his intent), then he should start with a platform that is locker-capable from the factory instead of having to drill into the rear, and possibly front, differential and install a bunch of wiring and air lines. One option is much less complicated than the other.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Dalko43 You're missing the point man. He got a smoking deal on a 2017 with less than one years worth of miles and remaining factory warranty. For him to touch a Trail/TRD OR in that same condition and year he'd be looking at mid $30's and to pick up a Pro he'd be well north of $40K. You are way off base here on the values and all for the sake of a factory e-locker in the rear. He can add front and rear lockers, a compressor, lift, wheels and tires and still have less invested in it than he would if he sold it and attempted to get a comparable TRD OR.

Dalko43

Explorer
@Dalko43 You're missing the point man. He got a smoking deal on a 2017 with less than one years worth of miles and remaining factory warranty. For him to touch a Trail/TRD OR in that same condition and year he'd be looking at mid $30's and to pick up a Pro he'd be well north of $40K. You are way off base here on the values and all for the sake of a factory e-locker in the rear. He can add front and rear lockers, a compressor, lift, wheels and tires and still have less invested in it than he would if he sold it and attempted to get a comparable TRD OR.

What's a "smoking" deal?

Never mind the TRD Pro. He will pay a bit more for a TRD offroad, but the factory e-locker is an asset that we obviously view differently. Nothing wrong with going with a Trail edition that has a few more years on it; so long as the vehicle hasn't been living in a rust-prone area, I wouldn't be too concerned about a higher mileage 4runner.

Also, I think some here are underestimating the cost and complexity associated with installing air lockers. When they work, they work well. Personally, i'd be hesitant to install them on a vehicle when there is a similar option from the factory.

bkg

Explorer
What's a "smoking" deal?

Never mind the TRD Pro. He will pay a bit more for a TRD offroad, but the factory e-locker is an asset that we obviously view differently. Nothing wrong with going with a Trail edition that has a few more years on it; so long as the vehicle hasn't been living in a rust-prone area, I wouldn't be too concerned about a higher mileage 4runner.

Also, I think some here are underestimating the cost and complexity associated with installing air lockers. When they work, they work well. Personally, i'd be hesitant to install them on a vehicle when there is a similar option from the factory.

“When they work“????? Cmon dude. Aside from the fact that the e-locker has known problems with the actuator, your implication of ARB’s not being reliable is unfounded. How many have you owned? I’ve owned 7. ONLY issue I ever had was due to a bent axle housing.

an ARB can be installed for much cheaper than trading in a vehicle just to get an e-locker.

bkg

Explorer
Well some of this is just speculation on your part. If the OP can sell his 4runner and get into a TRD Pro or TRD offroad for not much of a loss, I think he should it.

I never said the OEM e-locker was stronger than the ARB locker. I did note that the ARB locker can have the potential for problems if the install isn't done correctly....it's not exactly a simple procedure. And even if the install is done correctly, issues with the air lines are not uncommon. OEM e-locker isn't weak...I've rarely heard of one breaking.

Well no, because it's a Jeep and not a Toyota....

If he wants to wheel around with a SR5, that's fine. But if he is going to dump tons money and effort into this vehicle in the form of modifications (which seems to be his intent), then he should start with a platform that is locker-capable from the factory instead of having to drill into the rear, and possibly front, differential and install a bunch of wiring and air lines. One option is much less complicated than the other.

Your logic doesn’t even make sense. you Insist he needs to trade his 4Runner for on with an e-locker, but then balk at a factory vehicle with dual lockers, low trade geaes, sliders and sway bar disconnects... because “it’s not a Toyota” ??? Either it’s better to get this from the factory or it isn’t. Can’t be both ways

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
“When they work“????? Cmon dude. Aside from the fact that the e-locker has known problems with the actuator, your implication of ARB’s not being reliable is unfounded. How many have you owned? I’ve owned 7. ONLY issue I ever had was due to a bent axle housing.

You're really going to argue that point?
There are plenty of examples of air lockers having issues with seals and lines on trail. Not to mention air compressors breaking down.
There are also examples of water/condensation getting into the system and causing problems in cold climates (which will be relevant to the OP's situation).
I've personally seen reliability problems with these lockers out and about.
I suppose its debatable how common these issues are, but they do exist.

E-locker can have problems. The main differences are: they're not common and there is a factory warranty to deal with anything for the intermediate term.

an ARB can be installed for much cheaper than trading in a vehicle just to get an e-locker.

How much did the OP spend on his SR5? That's the question that needs to be answered before anyone makes a financial argument one way or the other.

And even if it is slightly cheaper to stick with the SR5 and install air lockers, I'd still go with a factory e-locker variant for the peace of mind.

Dalko43

Explorer
Your logic doesn’t even make sense. you Insist he needs to trade his 4Runner for on with an elected, but then ball at a factory vehicle with dual lockers, low trade geaes, sliders and sway bar disconnects... because “it’s not a Toyota” ??? Either it’s better to get this from the factory or it isn’t. Can’t be both ways

I'm saying one brand (Toyota) is a whole lot more reliable than the other (Jeep). If the someone wants to gamble with the Jeep's reliability issues, then by all means the Rubicon is a capable vehicle that is worth considering.

If you disagree with that, fine. I've seen what those Wranglers look like after 5-6 years of ownership, and I have no interest in owning one in upstate NY

bkg

Explorer
You're really going to argue that point?
There are plenty of examples of air lockers having issues with seals and lines on trail. Not to mention air compressors breaking down.
There are also examples of water/condensation getting into the system and causing problems in cold climates (which will be relevant to the OP's situation).
I've personally seen reliability problems with these lockers out and about.
I suppose its debatable how common these issues are, but they do exist.

E-locker can have problems. The main differences are: they're not common and there is a factory warranty to deal with anything for the intermediate term.

How much did the OP spend on his SR5? That's the question that needs to be answered before anyone makes a financial argument one way or the other.

And even if it is slightly cheaper to stick with the SR5 and install air lockers, I'd still go with a factory e-locker variant for the peace of mind.

So the logic of having factory items stops when it involves leaving the Toyota brand?

E-lockers have plenty of well documented problems. Most ARB issues are install issue - like poor routing of air lines. Can’t blame that in the ARB

what he paid for the sr5 is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is the cost between the current 4Runner and out the door with a different model. Unless that is under $2k with tax, title, license, then its going to cost more than an ARB. He could have gotten the current one for free, but he needs to make up a $5k tradein delta, theN who cares?

Dalko43

Explorer
So the logic of having factory items stops when it involves leaving the Toyota brand?

Nope. I'm saying that I wouldn't consider buying a Jeep product, and it doesn't sound like the OP will either, so it's a moot discussion point.

E-lockers have plenty of well documented problems. Most ARB issues are install issue - like poor routing of air lines. Can’t blame that in the ARB

Really? Because with all the Toyota's I've owned and driven, I've never had a problem with them. Same for all the people I know who own Toyota 4x4's. And the "problems" certainly seem uncommon enough when you go perusing through the forums (at least for the newer models).

what he paid for the sr5 is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is the cost between the current 4Runner and out the door with a different model.

Fine, the OP should see what he could get for his SR5 and then determine pricing for a moderately used Trail or TRD offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke