4Runner SR5 - Can it be upgraded

RickSut

Anyone got any opinions on priority of mods ? I mean what is the most important stuff to do? Lift/Suspension so I don't scrape the belly? Rear Bumper to get the tire out from under her, or front bumper to hold a winch? I'm planning on doing all those one at a time. I'm just slightly reluctant to "armour her up" with skid plates and sliders as I really don't want to add another ton to her weight and also don't want to go on that serious trails. I prefer just slightly deteriorated roads, fields, and streams.. Also how important is airing up and down, getting a compressor, Can you put the spare on the roof? Seems like a seriously heavy thing to throw up there or to have to get it down for that matter. Still learning. Everything is new, though I do know how to drive.

bkg

Explorer
first and most important... go enjoy it as it is. Learn it. Learn to drive it. Learn it's shortcomings for the type of wheeling you do - not the wheeling others do. That's really the only way to determine what mods to do.

MountainClimber

Anyone got any opinions on priority of mods ? I mean what is the most important stuff to do? Lift/Suspension so I don't scrape the belly? Rear Bumper to get the tire out from under her, or front bumper to hold a winch? I'm planning on doing all those one at a time. I'm just slightly reluctant to "armour her up" with skid plates and sliders as I really don't want to add another ton to her weight and also don't want to go on that serious trails. I prefer just slightly deteriorated roads, fields, and streams.. Also how important is airing up and down, getting a compressor, Can you put the spare on the roof? Seems like a seriously heavy thing to throw up there or to have to get it down for that matter. Still learning. Everything is new, though I do know how to drive.
There is absolutely no reason to add anything to the truck beyond LT rated tires for what you plan on doing. If you are looking for protection from rocks I would look at a decent set of sliders and a set of skid plates. Skids you can get in aluminum but depending on where in the south you are corrosion from road salt can be an issue. I replaced my stock trail skids with RCI steel, they are much heavier but they come with a lot more protection. I have metal tech sliders that bolted up to factory tapped holes in the frame and were simple to put on. I ran that way for years and only added the 3 inch lift because I wanted the look.
In stock form these trucks are amazingly capable while returning great fuel economy. Every pound you add to the truck will rob you of MPGs, with the mods I have I dropped from 19-20 to 16-17. That's without bumpers and a winch. Guys I know that are running full armor are as low as 14.
A great resource is T$R.org. There area a lot of great builds and just general information there.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Anyone got any opinions on priority of mods ? I mean what is the most important stuff to do? Lift/Suspension so I don't scrape the belly? I'm planning on doing all those one at a time. I'm just slightly reluctant to "armour her up" with skid plates and sliders as I really don't want to add another ton to her weight and also don't want to go on that serious trails. I prefer just slightly deteriorated roads, fields, and streams..
I'd consider shocks as fairly necessary. Lift, probably not crucial. You want suspension capable of supporting whatever weight you carry comfortably. Stock is fine if stay stock, but higher rate springs if you push the cargo limit and start bolting on stuff. I have lift and a suspension, though, so it's hypocritical of me to say no. It does ride better than stock, which I feel is usually too soft and uncontrolled. But I wore out my stock suspension before replacing it at least.

I used to say armor is a luxury but I think sliders are pretty important. Not steps, but frame-mounted sliders capable of supporting the truck. It's a jack point, a place to stabilize during recovery maybe, a way to get stuff on the roof and a back up for a just-in-case you get on a bad line. I know it's a debated point, it's 100 lbs of mostly never used weight that you'll be glad you have that one time.

I run a heavy duty front skid plate that I only committed to once my factory splash plate was sufficiently dented to demonstrate I needed it. I don't have belly pans, though. I had more skids on my old truck and used them, but I was pushing it into harder stuff than I do with my Tacoma. So the extent of armor you need is really dependent on how much you intend to do with it. I will eventually replace my stock plastic TRD fuel tank guard with a decent aluminum one. But otherwise, meh, I'm not into trying to beat my truck up that much anymore.
Also how important is airing up and down, getting a compressor
Being able to air down and air up I think is important enough to justify spending money on a decent compressor. The risk of a flat is always there, so a plug kit and compressor is I think good insurance even if you carry multiple spare tires, much less just one spare. I have an MV-50, which is hit or miss on quality. You don't need to budget $500 or anything, but I'd spend enough to get a compressor you can trust. The Viair 300P is probably what I'd buy personally.
Rear Bumper to get the tire out from under her, or front bumper to hold a winch?
Can you put the spare on the roof? Seems like a seriously heavy thing to throw up there or to have to get it down for that matter. Still learning. Everything is new, though I do know how to drive.
I've never had a rear swing out for the tire. I've driven pickups, which means I have more overhang than you will in a 4Runner, and left the tire in the stock location. Got through the Rubicon that way despite that being a faux pas. I've driven lots of stuff almost as hard. You don't need to move the spare tire.

Is it better not being hung under the back? Sure, in theory you can puncture the tire or it could hang you up. But it won't 99.99% of the time. It's a low priority mod IMHO if you're after getting bang for your money. It's high priority if you want to look cool, though.

I will say, though, that having it in the stock location means it's covered in mud, which isn't great. So hanging it from the back is easier to get to it and keep things clean. I'll also say I'm sketching up what I want to do about a rear bumper on my truck now and I'll be building it to accommodate a swing-out, but I won't be putting a tire on it. The swing-out will only be for the bike rack. The reasons I'm doing a bumper on this truck are the same as on my previous truck, to give a bit of protection (being a pickup I do tail drag a lot) and to add good recovery points and free up the receiver for the rack. Right now I can't carry the bike rack when I 4 wheel because I need the receiver for the shackle adapter.

More than anything, get a few essential items and use your truck. Even stock it's probably more capable than you are willing to risk.

E

eugarps

All,

Has anyone considered or even installed a Magnusen Supercharger on their Generation 5 to get a bit more towing capability?

Just asking a question, not advocating. My 2013 SR5 Premium with 125k miles is probably a bit too old to try that on.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MountainClimber

All,

Has anyone considered or even installed a Magnusen Supercharger on their Generation 5 to get a bit more towing capability?

Just asking a question, not advocating. My 2013 SR5 Premium with 125k miles is probably a bit too old to try that on.

Bill

Towing capacity has more to do with the frame and axles and less to do with horsepower. Adding the supercharger won't give you a higher tow rating, you are still limited by gross vehicle weight. Even adding the HD springs from OMU or airbags to level out the truck don't increase your load carrying ability, they just help to redistribute the weight that is there.
That being said; I don't tow with my 4Runner but may in the future (wife and I are looking at a small travel trailer). I've found that with the mods I have maintaining speed on any kind of serious hill will cause the truck to downshift a lot. Because of this I will be looking hard at a regear before I add a trailer to give more low end torque to help with hill climbs at highway speed. The other benefit is lower speed 4x4 trail capability. The drawback of course will be a hit to MPG.

E

eugarps

MountainClimber,

Understood. I’ve been towing travel trailers for years and get the weight, brakes, wheelbase, and cooling issues. The Black Series HQ15 trailer I’m considering grosses out right at the 4Runner’s max towing number and I’m just looking for a bit more power.

That could take to form of a slightly bigger truck (think Lexus GX460) or a mid sized pickup like a Chevrolet Colorado Diesel. Maybe I’d be better off with the baby Duramax and trade before my ‘Runner is worthless.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallygator

Adventurer
MountainClimber,

Understood. I’ve been towing travel trailers for years and get the weight, brakes, wheelbase, and cooling issues. The Black Series HQ15 trailer I’m considering grosses out right at the 4Runner’s max towing number and I’m just looking for a bit more power.

That could take to form of a slightly bigger truck (think Lexus GX460) or a mid sided pickup like a Chevrolet Colorado Diesel. Maybe I’d be better off with the baby Duramax and trade before my ‘Runner is worthless.

Bill

Gonna be a long time before that 4 is worthless. I don't tow more than 80% of a vehicles tow rating no matter what vehicle it is. It is just a rule I stick to.

RickSut

Thanks everyone, especially you DaveinDenver: It would have taken me the better part of 3 hours to type that all out. :)

I agree it appears to be a most competent 4 wheeler. We have been hitting the trails/back roads weekly. I love the comment on the "Cool Factor" Of the spare on the rear. I'm 61, so cool factor is long gone. And besides, for that I have two K9 trained German shepherds who enjoy making grown men pee their pants. But they are very well behaved and only do what they are told. But I have heard people say they get caught up on their spare. I have scraped my receiver a few times, so I suppose that is more a factor than the tire. I may be dragging my trailer into most remote areas outside my local "Asheville, NC" Range. "The Boys" need someplace to nap when the road gets too rocky and throws them around too much. They really aren't into trail surfing yet. And I'm bummed the 4 runner is smaller in the back than my 2006 Exploder was, and has no "trunk" space. They loved that Exploder, but of course that was a State police K9 Cruiser, so it had good smells...LOL

I have been stuck several times in my life in places that required a 3-5 mile hike to find something to "Unstuck" me. So now at this tender age I am thinking I can Afford to be better prepared. So I'm watching Youtube Videos (I have my own Channel) and most everyone elses videos are climbing over huge boulders and small cliffs with the help of all kinds of equipment... And my local club who posts their trips seem to end up on some pretty rugged trails.. So I'm aware there are places out there that may jump out and bite me... But thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. I'll make some kind of decision after a few more over time days at work.. LOL

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think what you have to remember is for every person who has hung themselves up on a under mounted spare there's 999 times it didn't. It can happen and there's a reason why rear bumper tire swing-outs exist (easier to access and preventing them from getting damaged). I wouldn't put it as a high priority since it does come with some negatives. The stupid thing is always in the way when you want to open the rear door to load groceries or dogs in the back, it blocks your rear view, it invariably swings right when you need it to swing left. It's probably more important on vehicles where the spare is mounted inside the cabin, that frees up space and keeps a filthy flat tire outside. If you're buying a rear bumper, particularly for a 4Runner or Cruiser wagon, you might as well take the opportunity to go with a swing-out, though.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@RickSut For starters the SR5 is fine, our first 5th gen was a SR5 and it did everything we ever asked of it. We have a TRD Pro now and I have still yet to even use the A-Trac system lol. I have personally never seen or heard about anyone getting hung up on the rear underside mounted spare, I am not going to say that it doesn't happen, but it would be the least of my worries.

My suggestions: Decide how big of a tire you want to run and buy the appropriate lift to make it fit. Get a set of sliders to protect your rocker panels and decide if skid plates are necessary for the places that you will frequent. In regards to a winch, well if you want to keep the weight down you can always go with a hidden winch or one of the slim-line options that only replaces the lower center section of the bumper facia. Obviously there are a ton of aluminum options on the market for the 5th Gen for those that are weight conscious as well.

If you decide to go with full bumpers front and rear, sliders, full belly skids, a roof rack, winch, high mounted spare, etc. you will certainly notice the weight both in feel and handling dynamics as well as in the acceleration and stopping performance and most certainly in the reduced fuel economy. If one plans to run a 33" or larger tire on these vehicles and hopes to maintain power and fuel economy they should entertain the idea of a regear at some point. If you feel that you need lockers then they are easily added too.

You got a smoking deal on your 4Runner, modify it as you see fit and go enjoy it. Don't worry about the spare and certainly don't worry about letters on the side of the c-pillar denoting the trim level, the SR5 is more than 98% of owners will ever need, myself included. The beauty in these vehicles is that the aftermarket is pretty immense and should you ever find that you need to improve any aspect of the vehicle for your needs and adventures, there are a myriad of companies that make multiple options for your discretion.

Dalko43

Explorer

I'll just be frank: If you're really going to go down heavy modification road, then you're better off trading your SR5 for a 4runner trim that comes with a factory rear locker.

You can "armor up" all you want; if you truly want this vehicle to be capable offroad, you'll need that factory e-locker. Yes, you can go with an aftermarket ARB air locker, but that comes with a whole lot of complexity and cost.

TRD Pro or TRD offroad is what you'll want. TRD Pro makes sense if you don't want to modify the suspension much; it's basically the factory-produced offroader with a pretty decent suspension. If you're the type who wants to modify and fiddle with stuff, get the TRD offroad.

That may not be what you want to hear, but a 4runner with an e-locker will be a better fit for you based on what your stated goals are. And in terms of mods, the only real "priority" would be a good set of A/T tires and maybe some sliders if you really want to go through some offroad parks. There really aren't many public 4x4 roads in NY that require sliders.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
I wouldn't trade in over a locker personally, get an aftermarket locker and keep the better buy that your already have.

absolutely correct. Trading in for a locker is, IMHO, not only a waste of money, but a waste of time and effort. I'd put an ARB in any Toyota before worrying about trying to get a factory elocker… hand down, no contest.

bkg

Explorer
I'll just be frank: If you're really going to go down heavy modification road, then you're better off trading your SR5 for a 4runner trim that comes with a factory rear locker.

You can "armor up" all you want; if you truly want this vehicle to be capable offroad, you'll need that factory e-locker. Yes, you can go with an aftermarket ARB air locker, but that comes with a whole lot of complexity and cost.

TRD Pro or TRD offroad is what you'll want. TRD Pro makes sense if you don't want to modify the suspension much; it's basically the factory-produced offroader with a pretty decent suspension. If you're the type who wants to modify and fiddle with stuff, get the TRD offroad.

That may not be what you want to hear, but a 4runner with an e-locker will be a better fit for you based on what your stated goals are. And in terms of mods, the only real "priority" would be a good set of A/T tires and maybe some sliders if you really want to go through some offroad parks. There really aren't many public 4x4 roads in NY that require sliders.

I think the highlighted is incorrect. Yes, the ARB "costs" money... so too does taking a bath on a vehicle to trade it in for something that has an elocker…. that elocker will end up costing many times more than the ARB if the above guidance is followed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94