3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
I kinda feel the same way although as of now I want to keep everything in North America. I have been watching a ton of RV, Van, various other transportation, traveler videos/documentaries and look forward to the opportunity when we can do something similar long term. Everyone is obviously in a different situation, but finding a balance of the future and opportunities to enjoy today I think are the key. I hope to be able to retire by 55 or 60 when I hopefully still have my health to be able to enjoy and afford a long term adventure.

DesktoGlory - Great build and trip. Many of us are envious of what you are doing and live through yours and others documentation of your trip.

89s rule, many thanks for the kind words! We constantly discuss past, current, and future opportunities and try our best to do what we think is right for us. We're on our trip now, before kids, because we made the opportunity to leave and we took it. There are plenty of advantages of travelling when you're young, but the retired people we meet on the road definitely have plenty of advantages over us. One of the biggest advantages is financially. Many of them rent out their properties and can survive indefinitely on that income.

There are always pros and cons to each and you can only ever do what's best for you.

expoportal_tatacoa_stars-1.jpg

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Sleeping Platform, Drawer, and Fridge Slide

We have been using our simple plywood platform and Rubbermaid totes for the last 10 months on the road. It worked fine, for the $60 it costs us, most of the time, but sometimes it got totally out of control organization-wise and nothing was easy to access. Also, we realized that sometimes we really don’t want to haul everything out of the back of the truck just to make a snack or brew some coffee.

desktoglory_drawers-1.jpg

Originally we looked at the ARB Outback Solutions drawers and ARB Fridge Slide, but had trouble finding anybody in Ecuador that had anything in stock or were willing to give us a quote.

This made it easy to move to the next option. This was to have a local carpenter build us a drawer and sleeping platform. At $25/day for skilled labor we thought that Ecuador was the best option for this. Well, the first carpenter came back with a quote of $950 and a two-week build time. Umm… ******. Obviously that wasn’t in our budget.

Our last option ended up being the best, and only real option, for us. It was time to build this junk ourselves. Luckily we were in Ibarra, Ecuador where we found a plywood store that could cut out the pieces we needed. I sketched a quick design and gave them a list of pieces I needed cut. We had a day to wait before picking them up so we went to the hardware store. I already had a 18V DeWalt drill with me so we picked up a pile of woodscrews, hinges, and some glue. They also happened to have some heavy-duty drawer slides we could use as a fridge slide. Sweet.

drawers_desktoglory-1.jpg

We wanted to have the main drawer on slides of some sort as well so we bought rails (1.5”x1.5”x1mm square tube) to mount to the drawer and 12 heavy-duty casters for those to ride on. The following day we picked up all of our 15mm (5/8”) plywood and then started out by tearing out all of the old stuff from the bed. After a quick sweep of 25,000km of dirt from the bed we started piecing together the jigsaw puzzle.

desktoglory_drawers-2.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-3.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-4.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-5.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-6.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-7.jpg

Now we have a nice and low sleeping platform for when the wind is too strong for us to pop the rooftop tent. The 6ft drawer slides out nice and easily and we can access the necessary items without hassle. Also, Ashley can now actually see inside of the fridge by pulling it out to the edge of the tailgate. Not too shabby for less than $200 and a day and a half of work in a campground in Ecuador ;)

desktoglory_drawers-8.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-9.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-10.jpg

desktoglory_drawers-11.jpg

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
I've recently got a ARE cap for my tacoma and trying to figure out ways to make a sleeping platform with a drawer system underneath. I must say I a big fan of the way you did yours. Have you had any draw backs with that roller style system? Also a great looking pickup by the way

Hudsen

Adventurous

Explorer
************** incredible. I'm going back through and re-reading this thread because it resonates with me so much. Good luck in your travels and I look forward to seeing more!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
insta-1-4.jpg

insta-1-31.jpg

After beating on the truck day after day it was about time to treat it right. The headlights were burnt out so instead of replacing them with halogens I was able to scrounge up an H4 conversion in Cuenca, Ecuador. While we were at it I found a pair of new taillight housings and lenses. $55 for everything.

thezentree

pretend redneck
I've been following you guys on IG for a while (I'm always looking for your next post from my cubicle), and just found this thread.

Maybe I missed it, but why did you guys decide to go with fiberglass front fenders?

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
I've been following you guys on IG for a while (I'm always looking for your next post from my cubicle), and just found this thread.

Maybe I missed it, but why did you guys decide to go with fiberglass front fenders?

thezentree,

The original fenders were pretty rusty. I love the look of the wider fiberglass fenders so they went on instead of stock replacements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior