2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

Oilbrnr

Well good to hear! Just think of all the money I just saved you. A new Raptor. Pfft!

As a side note, that swaybar disco, will only unlock while not under torsional load, so if that front axle isn't pretty much on the same plane as the frame, it won't disconnect. (or reconnect for that matter)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Don't have one and never will cuz I feel it's a waste of money. The payload sucks and after you add yourself and a few family members the payload is basically gone. Plus the ecoboost model sounds stupid, liked a riced out Civic. Why they got rid of the 6.2 is beyond me??? Anyways sorry to be so negative on the thing but with the horrible payload it's basically a car with a truck bed and to me that is useless. YMMV.

I'm going to premptively say that I am biased; I'm a Raptor fanboy.

A waste of money is super subjective. If its overkill for most of what it might be used for, sure it may waste of money, but I dont really judge what people do with their own money. I don't see the same talk when someone buys a Porsche GT and doesn't track it all the time. Plus if someone makes obscene amounts of money who really cares how someone spends it? I will agree they are expensive, but thats just within my budget, as the similarly spec-ed GEN2s are nearly 75K when mine was 58K 5 years ago.

The engine sounds kind of wimpy stock, but there is huge amounts of aftermarket support. The 6.2 is kind of an old engine, but super reliable, but Ford is pushing the Ecoboost line of engines as their flagship engines. I do like having my engine over the 3.5 but if I had to buy a new one, I'd have no problem buying it.

Also the payload complaints are kind of bs. The GEN2 Raptors payload capacity is comparable to the Toyota Tacoma, Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler. The Tundra and F150 can blow the Raptor out of the water, but the Raptor isn't really trying to fill the same niche. Its just odd to me we see these overloaded Jeeps and Tundras Tacomas and no one ever really seems to mention payload then, but god forbid I throw a RTT and about 200 pounds of gear and 2 people and my truck and suddenly its a danger.

I'm not getting crappy at you in particular @Wallygator. Just addressing some of the things I see mentioned about Ford Raptors here and r/overlanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Well good to hear! Just think of all the money I just saved you. A new Raptor. Pfft!

As a side note, that swaybar disco, will only unlock while not under torsional load, so if that front axle isn't pretty much on the same plane as the frame, it won't disconnect. (or reconnect for that matter)

I agree on the sway bar. It either has to be oober even ground, or you almost have to shake the truck to get it to disconnect or reconnect. I’ve only used the sway bar 2-3 times. To me it’s more of a novelty.

Explorerinil

Observer

A waste of money is super subjective. If its overkill for most of what it might be used for, sure it may waste of money, but I dont really judge what people do with their own money. I don't see the same talk when someone buys a Porsche GT and doesn't track it all the time. Plus if someone makes obscene amounts of money who really cares how someone spends it? I will agree they are expensive, but thats just within my budget, as the similarly spec-ed GEN2s are nearly 75K when mine was 58K 5 years ago.

The engine sounds kind of wimpy stock, but there is huge amounts of aftermarket support. The 6.2 is kind of an old engine, but super reliable, but Ford is pushing the Ecoboost line of engines as their flagship engines. I do like having my engine over the 3.5 but if I had to buy a new one, I'd have no problem buying it.

Also the payload complaints are kind of ****************. The GEN2 Raptors payload capacity is comparable to the Toyota Tacoma, Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler. The Tundra and F150 can blow the Raptor out of the water, but the Raptor isn't really trying to fill the same niche. Its just odd to me we see these overloaded Jeeps and Tundras Tacomas and no one ever really seems to mention payload then, but god forbid I throw a RTT and about 200 pounds of gear and 2 people and my truck and suddenly its a danger.

I'm not getting ************ at you in particular @Wallygator. Just addressing some of the things I see mentioned about Ford Raptors here and r/overlanding.
Your right people knock the payload of the raptor and often power wagon for that matter. You don’t buy a raptor to haul and tow extreme loads, it will haul what the majority of people haul. My father in law had a 2010 6.2 raptor, I liked the truck, he had it for a year or so and sold it, had a few problems and lost his ass on it, around here used raptors don’t hold their value.

phsycle

Adventurer

Also the payload complaints are kind of bs. The GEN2 Raptors payload capacity is comparable to the Toyota Tacoma, Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler. The Tundra and F150 can blow the Raptor out of the water, but the Raptor isn't really trying to fill the same niche. Its just odd to me we see these overloaded Jeeps and Tundras Tacomas and no one ever really seems to mention payload then, but god forbid I throw a RTT and about 200 pounds of gear and 2 people and my truck and suddenly its a danger.

I'm not getting crappy at you in particular @Wallygator. Just addressing some of the things I see mentioned about Ford Raptors here and r/overlanding.

Tundras are also at Raptor payload. I’ve never seen one above 1,200lbs and most are around 1,100 or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Your right people knock the payload of the raptor and often power wagon for that matter. You don’t buy a raptor to haul and tow extreme loads, it will haul what the majority of people haul. My father in law had a 2010 6.2 raptor, I liked the truck, he had it for a year or so and sold it, had a few problems and lost his ass on it, around here used raptors don’t hold their value.

I've never ever had an issue with payload or towing. I've towed jetskis regularly and a 20 some foot long bayliner like 3 or 4 times without issue. Whenever I go to Outer Banks I usually pack up a fair bit of gear and no issue whatsoever. If I was going to haul more I would have bought an F250 but living with an F250 in Honolulu is even harder than with a Raptor lol! Its strange that he lost his ass on it, but if it had issues I can see that. As long as the truck isn't abused I seem them retain value pretty well, but its case by case.

Tundras are also at Raptor payload. I’ve never seen one above 1,200lbs and most are around 1,100 or less.

I'm just using some google-**** but it looks like the Raptor is 1100 to 1300 but the Tundra is 1500 to 1700. Toyota actually states 1620 pounds.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm just using some google-**** but it looks like the Raptor is 1100 to 1300 but the Tundra is 1500 to 1700. Toyota actually states 1620 pounds.

Yeah, Toyota has been known to highly exaggerate their numbers. Like I said, haven’t seen one above 1,200. Maybe it exists on a 2wd reg cab.

As an example. Start at ~5:00

Wallygator

Adventurer
1. With the stock exhaust they do not sound like a "riced out civic." While they don't sound like a V8, they are hardly "rice."

2. The 3.5 HO absolutely destroys the 6.2 in every aspect. It makes more power and weighs less.

3. My neighbor has one...seems to be anything but useless to him.

Nope....total rice sounding. Horrible in fact. YMMV.

I'm sure the truck works for some as they do sell them. As mentioned, it's not for me. Great play toy though.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don't have one and never will cuz I feel it's a waste of money. The payload sucks and after you add yourself and a few family members the payload is basically gone. Plus the ecoboost model sounds stupid, liked a riced out Civic. Why they got rid of the 6.2 is beyond me??? Anyways sorry to be so negative on the thing but with the horrible payload it's basically a car with a truck bed and to me that is useless. YMMV.
Weak point was the front end lots of guys blowing up the front suspension. Weight!!! Ford responded with a weight reduction via juiced up ecoboost. Weight is the biggest enemy to these consumer race trucks, shed weight and they gain durability.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Weak point was the front end lots of guys blowing up the front suspension. Weight!!! Ford responded with a weight reduction via juiced up ecoboost. Weight is the biggest enemy to these consumer race trucks, shed weight and they gain durability.

Well I have heard they are possibly looking to bring back a high HP V8 Raptor. IF true it would really be a fun toy. And no more rice.

https://www.motor1.com/news/353657/ford-raptor-v8-in-works/

Oilbrnr

I agree on the sway bar. It either has to be oober even ground, or you almost have to shake the truck to get it to disconnect or reconnect. I’ve only used the sway bar 2-3 times. To me it’s more of a novelty.
Somethings telling me you really don't use your PW as its intended, or at least like I do mine here in the South West. Disconnecting that SB allows it to articulate. Articulate as well as my 80 which is saying a lot. (they both have pretty much the same suspension design and one of the main reasons guys love 80's so much) Now that I can control the bar and lock rear in 2hi, it really opens up the truck more in less technical, slightly higher speed areas off-road, while softening the ride. I'm pretty heavy though, with the FWC, sliders, bumpers, gear, a dog or three; 9,600#.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve disconnected the sway bar on a IFS truck I had. Not that big of a difference although, it helped some. On a solid axle, difference can really be noticed.

Regardless whether the OP uses the PW as intended or not, since he got the sway bar issue taken care of, if he’s now happy with it, keep it. No reason to go new.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I’ve disconnected the sway bar on a IFS truck I had. Not that big of a difference although, it helped some. On a solid axle, difference can really be noticed.

Regardless whether the OP uses the PW as intended or not, since he got the sway bar issue taken care of, if he’s now happy with it, keep it. No reason to go new.
Agreed. Plus with the money saved by not buying a new truck, a raptor like suspension upgrade starts looking like a bargain.

Oilbrnr

IFS trucks are limited on available range by nature unfortuanly. But, by releasing that front bar, it also means you can keep more pressure on rear tires longer too. Remember, the goal is to keep the feet planted as much as possible.

Jspeers89

I've had one since 2017. It tows everything I need it to. It's a super comfy riding truck, is quick for a truck, is highly capable desert runner even though I don't use it fully for that reason, has alot of interior room, is very safe with airbags and inflatable seatbelts for my kids, I average 14-16 with mostly City driving, get around 20 mpg on freeway, has 450/510 tq, has selectable 4 hi, 4lo, 2wd and all wheel drive, is the first vehicle I didn't really feel the need to modify because it's already capable, and this is subjective but it looks
Freaking awesome all with a warranty from Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior