2M Antenna Recommendations?

abruzzi

Adventurer
The 2M/440CM antenna options are basically the same, the only difference is you need the cable in the cab to terminate in a reverse SMA (I believe) instead of a PL-259 connector. You'll probably also want a mount for the Baofeng, maybe power (other than a battery) and probably the optional handset. But a 2M antenna is basically a 2M antenna, wether your running a mobile or a HT connected to an external antenna. I'm very happy with my Larsen 2/70. It's a bit pricey, but it seems indestructible.

This isn't what you asked, but I'd consider that for antenna, mount, and cabling, you probably going to spend on the order of $100, to plug into a $30 radio. If your only interested in 2M, you can usually get the baseline kenwood mobile for $130 new, and it'll put out something like 60w, instead of 5w.

CCFD170

Adventurer
Thank you for the quick reply. Lol. It's funny how new hobbies start morphing into bigger and more expensive ventures then you had originally planned! Myself and a few others who like to travel together all bought the Baofeng HTs as an inexpensive upgrade to trail coms over cb. This was at least three months ago. Well so far I'm the only one who's passed the exam and now I'm already thinking about upgrading to a mobile unit.

Shoeman

Observer
I just got my Tech license a month ago so I'm no expert. But I'm using a UV5R HT and a Diamond mag mount MR73SJ. That ant. has the Baofeng correct connector. So far I've had no trouble hitting a local repeater 15 or so miles away. I made contact simplex on .520 with a gent 20 miles away last week as I was driving away from him and he reported a very good signal. Longest I've done was 40 miles (!) working a friend doing SOTA from the top of a mountain with a 5W and a good yagi pointed right in my direction. It was not as clear as if he was a mile away but we understood each other just fine. That's not typical performance but it shows the potential. I'm going to run the HT this summer, pack a yagi or portable J-pole in the rig for when I need more than the mag mount can give me. Next summer a bigger radio will get installed.

nckwltn

Explorer
I have the UV5R. I ended up getting an SMC to BNC converter, then ordered a mag mount antenna that I put up when I'm on the trail. I can hear everyone in my group well, and everyone can hear me on my little 5w HT without any problems.

The connector was 5-10 bucks (be sure to get the proper gender on the SMC), the antenna was 30 bucks, plus one more connection changer to get from BNC to whatever the mag mount antenna had, it gets the job done. The UV5R has some other issues that don't make it a good radio in an area with a lot of RF noise (like Los Angeles), but out on the trail it works great (not a lot of RF noise in Death Valley)

I switched to BNC because the female SMC connector (what is on the antenna side if I recall correctly) is only rated for 100 or so connections/disconnections (which is why the male end is on the radio, that side of the connector is good forever). BNC is rated for 1000s of cycles. Plus you're much more likely to find stuff in BNC vs SMC.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I put a Comet SS-680SB on my ARB bumper, with the PL-259 mount it fit very nicely. I like that this antenna has a spring on it in case a branch gets ahold of it on the trail. It is a 1/2 meter antenna so ground plane isn't an issue there.

I thought it might be distracting there but it is quite unobtrusive.
8091026042_6c8f75e1f0_k.jpg
I have to withdraw my recommendation for the Comet SS-680SB. On my latest trip the antenna just...fell apart. There is a joint below the spring that was apparently glued or something, and on a mountain trail in the Rockies the antenna fell off, without any impact whatsoever. I was somehow able to duct tape it back together and finish the trip, but it is toast. It gets a lot of vibration there on the bullbar, but it should be able to handle that. And another club member had his break there too, although his broke when it was hit hard by tree branches.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want a 51.5" Larsen whip on the bumper, or something else. That's a little taller than I would like.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I've always said the Comets and Diamond antennas are too rigid for exposed areas subject to impact.

They are great because you need less/no ground plane.

But other antennas are more offroad friendly.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
When I see these recommendations for center roof antenna locations, I suspect some of you guys out west (not pointing at anybody in particular) have no concept of the thrashing an antenna can receive on an overgrown woods trail...my bullbar location is about the least branch-impacted place on my rig, but even there it takes some hits. There are times when almost every square inch of my rig is being caressed by branches.

Last edited:

carbon60

Explorer
When I see these recommendations for center roof antenna locations, I suspect some of you guys out west (not pointing at anybody in particular) have no concept of the thrashing an antenna can receive on an overgrown woods trail...my bullbar location is about the least branch-impacted place on my rig, but even there it takes some hits. There are times when almost every square inch of my rig is being caressed by branches.

Well said!

bdichristina

Bobby D.
I just ordered a NAGOYA SP-40H Dual Band that I will also be mounting on the bull bar. I chose this one because it's one of the few I've found with a spring. It's only about 17 inches tall and doesn't require a ground plane. It's relatively low gain (2/3.5 dBi on 2m/70cm), but that's perfect for group comms on the trails. Though it's performance reviews are quite good, I'm not expecting much as far as durability off road. It's gonna be one of those hit or miss things I'm sure. I also purchased a NAGOYA UT-106, dual band, magnetic mount to keep on hand if the SP-40H fails. Both of these are pretty cheep so I don't stand to loose much while I'm out there. And I carry a portable if all else fails.

The SP-40H: www.nagoya.com.tw/en/2_2277_66839/product/SP_40H_SP_40HB_id384869.html

The UT-106: www.nagoya.com.tw/en/2_2277_66949/product/UT_106UV_id384540.html

On the same subject, one of the guys in my Tech Net group pointed me to the Sinclair Excalibur as a ruggedized alternative to a whip antenna. He worked in the railroad industry and said they used them on engines and cabooses. Once I looked them up, I recognized them but have never used them. The pro would be that there is little on the trails that would damage them. The cons are that they are quite pricey, and that they require a rather large ground pain to operate effectively. Those of us with roof racks would be out of luck, unless we mounted them in the center of the hood.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't worry much about breaking, these Flexi-Whips can just about be tied in knots without damage. I need a couple of inches clearance above the roof for the NMO bases, that's about it. The WilderNest and Yakima bars are significantly higher than my antennas. Believe it or not the trails are plenty tight and low in Colorado and mine have been there for years without issue. This includes 400 trips annually getting knocked over pulling into and out of the garage.

Being 1/4 wavelength means they don't need any matching network just the center pin. So the bases are thin, just barely larger than the NMO itself. You'd literally have to drive so close to an immovable object as to scrape them off, which is possible but you'd probably be making your truck into a convertible at the same time.

But your point is valid, the roof is a vulnerable location so you have to consider flexibility into the equation. Super tall and rigid antennas up top don't equal happiness on trails a lot of the time. But this is generally where wild land fire trucks, USFS trucks and the like have their antennas and so the problem has been addressed. Not to mention that's the genius of the NMO, if you want more gain it's 10 seconds to swap to a 5/8 tall whip.

http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/public-safety-antennas/flexi-whip

In this photo I still have a regular $12 Larsen NMO 1/4 in front for UHF. The whip on them is significantly less flexible than the STI-CO. I've since replaced it with a Flexi-Whip to match the VHF. As it was I would drive into the garage and let the taller one bend over (this was how I found them originally, I got tired of removing or folding over a whip every morning and evening) but the UHF stopped clearing when I went to 33" tires and it no longer fit under the header. I've gone back to 30" tires and it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

IMG_1359_sm.jpg

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I just ordered a NAGOYA SP-40H Dual Band that I will also be mounting on the bull bar. I chose this one because it's one of the few I've found with a spring. It's only about 17 inches tall and doesn't require a ground plane. It's relatively low gain (2/3.5 dBi on 2m/70cm), but that's perfect for group comms on the trails. Though it's performance reviews are quite good, I'm not expecting much as far as durability off road. It's gonna be one of those hit or miss things I'm sure.
The SP-40H: www.nagoya.com.tw/en/2_2277_66839/product/SP_40H_SP_40HB_id384869.html

I'm going to try a Larsen whip for now, but that Nagoya looks interesting. Is it 1/2 wave? I can't find any indication one way or another.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I believe the SP-40 is 1/4 on 2m and 5/8 on 70cm. Seems similar to a Comet B-10 or SBB-2 or maybe the Diamond NR72B.

I've found that Nagoya seems to either be closely related or maybe shares design & manufacturing with RF Parts/Diamond because they mimic several of their products and usually look the same with different stickers. They even come in the same yellow plastic bags.

Last edited:

taco007

Observer
Hi Gents: Long story short, I have an extra antenna on my sprortsmobile which I believe to have been used for HAM radio by previous owners. By looking at it, can you tell me if it's for a UHF or VHF (or both). I have it rigged to my handheld Yeasau VTX150, which I hardly ever use except while on the trail with my kids and then we use a public safety frequency I have access to (without repeaters) in the 165.000 range.

Bottom line....will this antenna work with this handheld, or a yeasu FT7900 I am considering buying? Any details on it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

carbon60

Explorer
Hi Gents: Long story short, I have an extra antenna on my sprortsmobile which I believe to have been used for HAM radio by previous owners. By looking at it, can you tell me if it's for a UHF or VHF (or both). I have it rigged to my handheld Yeasau VTX150, which I hardly ever use except while on the trail with my kids and then we use a public safety frequency I have access to (without repeaters) in the 165.000 range.

Bottom line....will this antenna work with this handheld, or a yeasu FT7900 I am considering buying? Any details on it would be appreciated.

I think the photos are missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles