2021 F150 vs F250

Wanderer86

For a real camper, like a Lance, would definitely want a F250 minimum, or 350. OTOH, my Ram 1500 was as long as I wanted going around hairpin curves and having to keep backing up, etc, to get around. And it hauled all the fence poles and fencing I needed at one time, much less my camping setup in the topper. I have an F150 now, which has a bit more turn radius than the RAM, but has the built-in Powerboost generator, and next year will flip it for an all-electric extended-range Lightning. Nothing really "best", because everything is trade-offs, depending on what is most important to you, what works best for you.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
What are your thoughts on the 4.3 gear set versus the 3.73 gearset for the F250 with the 7.3L gasser?

Can't speak to that particular combination. But here's my experience. I bought a 2007 E350 4x4 conversion van, V10 with 3.73 gears. For the first 20,000 miles of ownership it averaged 12 mpg - and would shift down on anything looking like an uphill grade. I got tired of the constant shifting so I had it re-geared to 4.56 (and put ARB lockers in both axles). The van now has 70,000 miles on it and guess what? Mileage is still 12 mpg (my fuel mileage for all my vehicles is calculated by an Excel spreadsheet, not by any dash display). So no loss of fuel mileage - but the driveability of the rig is far greater. No more of the constant shifting in the mountains. The engine now always seems to be in the powerband.

High axle gearing, plus the overdrives in the new transmissions, may give you better mileage if all you do is drive an empty truck through flat country...or downhill. Hauling a camper or any other load, or climbing grades - with high axle gearing the transmission will get very little use out of overdrive gears.

Chorky

Observer
Ok fellers. I am back, again...., to the 150 vs 250 debate.

So heres the deal. I really dont plan on towing much more than 5K on a regular basis, maybe 8K once in a while. In all reality, even towing 5K will be when I need house supplies. Maybe if I ever got another camping trailer. to be a bit more realistic, 50% use is going to town once a week about an hours drive one way. 25% use is exploring new areas, some paved, some dirt. 25% use (or less) would be camping. Due to the current outrageous prices of things (and a recent house purchase), a full on camper is probably not going to happen. So settling for some sort of canopy or pop up canopy option is most likely.

The primary reason I still struggle with the debate is 1) I still have my full size OBS, 2) I honestly dont haul heavy things on a regular basis, however, in the off chance I did it's nice to have the capability, 3) fuel mileage is important being in such a rural area. I did for a bit consider a Ranger. However, I think 3 vehicles is just too much. Most likely, whether it be a 150 or 250 - likely parting :cry: with the OBS would occur.

Even though a 250, with the build specs I selected thus far, is only about 5K more, it seems like more truck than is truly needed anymore.

Another big debate is configuration. For a 250, a crew cab with 8' bed seems best - however for a 150 a extended cab 6.5' bed seems best. One could always haul a 16' trailer when picking up main hose beams. also, being single with no kids means no current need for extra haul space

So. let the 150 250 debate begin yet again :)

One important consideration with either option - not necessarly a deal breaker - is aftermarket options. Specifically suspension and winch mounts. not for big lifts, but just better off highway performance.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Why are you debating between a Supercab 6.5' need F150 and cclb F250? The F250 would be 30" longer in the wheel base. Super cab 6.75 bed is 3" longer.

If gas mileage is important skip the F250. Our 6.2 never saw much over 15mpg. I found a guy in YouTube who hyper miles his and gets up to 17mpg?

jbaucom

Single with no kids...if you don't need the extra cab space and really want the 8' bed, then just get an F150 RCLB. There are plenty of winch mounts and suspension options for the F150 and Super Duty.

You can get the RCLB F150 with the HD payload package, which should yield a pretty significant available payload (should be nearly 3,000 lbs) on a regular cab truck, and it includes the 5.0 with 3.73 elocker axle and 36 gallon fuel tank. Bilstein 6112 front/5160 rear, or Fox 2.0 (or 2.5....depends how much you want to spend...) and a set of 295/70r18 tires and it'd be ready for about anything you want to do.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
To add to what’s been said above, I don’t know why a 3/4 ton is even in question.

Also, a Ranger won’t get you much (any?) better mpg. If you don’t need the smaller size, it shouldn’t be considered either.

jadmt

ignore button user
comparing a full size F250 CC long box and an extended cab extended cab 6.5 F150 is like deciding do you want a BK double whooper with cheese meal or just a mcdonalds regular cheese burger...My neighbor was going back and forth between a SD with 7.3 and an F150 with 3.5. His main concern was mpg. He tows a Winnebago micro mini so either would have been fine altho he said some day he may get a bigger camper as they go south for a 6 weeks or so during the winter and he said that might end up evolving into longer periods down the road when they no longer are baby sitting their grand kids. both trucks he had configured were pretty close to the same price OTD. the dealer told him the SD would sell off the lot quicker and sell used quicker. He said he is happy he has the F250 and his only regret is he did not get the power steps on it. I talked him into getting 4.30 gears and he said he is glad he did. My point is if you get a HD truck and don't like it chances are you can sell it for no loss in a heartbeat. My buddy's Ford dealer in Billings MT offered him $500 to not come and get the truck when it showed up.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Also, a Ranger won’t get you much (any?) better mpg. If you don’t need the smaller size, it shouldn’t be considered either.
I’ve had my ranger for about a month now. The only benefit over a f150 was I was able to get a two year old truck for 26k.
The worst thing is the 18 gallon tank at 20mpg.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
comparing a full size F250 CC long box and an extended cab extended cab 6.5 F150 is like deciding do you want a BK double whooper with cheese meal or just a mcdonalds regular cheese burger...My neighbor was going back and forth between a SD with 7.3 and an F150 with 3.5. His main concern was mpg. He tows a Winnebago micro mini so either would have been fine altho he said some day he may get a bigger camper as they go south for a 6 weeks or so during the winter and he said that might end up evolving into longer periods down the road when they no longer are baby sitting their grand kids. both trucks he had configured were pretty close to the same price OTD. the dealer told him the SD would sell off the lot quicker and sell used quicker. He said he is happy he has the F250 and his only regret is he did not get the power steps on it. I talked him into getting 4.30 gears and he said he is glad he did. My point is if you get a HD truck and don't like it chances are you can sell it for no loss in a heartbeat. My buddy's Ford dealer in Billings MT offered him $500 to not come and get the truck when it showed up.
Yeah I know. But considering a 250 has a higher capacity it makes more sense to have it a true full size. A 150 having lower capacities makes sense to be physically smaller. Personally, if I am going to go for a truck that has max capacity, then it should be max size to take advantage of that capacity. A 150 being lower capacity to me makes more sense to be shorter since it cant haul or tow as much as the 250. I have been seeing reports of single digit MPG on the 7.3. I'm curious how big of a power and reliability difference there is between a 6.2 and 7.3. Its a real cross between the two. Majority of my honest use says 150 outwins simply due to comfort and the 90% rule. But one cant deny it is nice to be able to haul multiple full sheets of plywood without a cargo trailer. Then again the house remodel should be done in a year. Truck ownership should be at least 10 years - so I want to get it right. Its more of a debate of what I would 'want' most since either option would do the job just fine I think. But I get your point though and agree that a SD is probably easier to sell than a 150 if I didn't like it. I'm hoping to not run into that situation though because it would be money lost even though a SD could be easier to offload.

Keep the OBS for the heavy work and get a Ranger- if you can carry your weekly town supplies in it and sleep in the box/flipup canopy. Do they still offer a Ranger Tremor ?

Otherwise F150. Five grand is five grand. F250 for towing, camper and/or robustness.
Yes Tremor is still offered but only in the crew cab. If I did get a Ranger, it would be an extended cab. A 5' bed to me is useless. A 6' bed is doable. But I dont think at this point a Ranger is the right choice. Its really not much smaller than a full size - although it feels like it when driving.

What are some differences between the 3.5 (150) and 6.3 (250)? Reliability, mileage, road manners, etc.... I think these two are pretty comparable performance wise?

Just did a build of both 150 / 250. Extended cab, 6.5' bed for both. Prices (without considering extended warranties and operational costs) are within 400 of each other. I'm not sure what the operating cost difference would be but probably not by a huge margin. Both offer a couple nice things that the other does not. For example, 250 has higher capacities. However to get a couple options I would want I have to get the Lariat (heated seats for example)... I dislike leather seats. The 150 offers heated seats in the XLT format. Almost all other options are equal. Trailer controller, backup camera, remote start, heated mirrors, both have optioned BO sound system, etc. I think the only difference is capacities, and the Lariat 250 has cooled seats while the XLT 150 only has heated. Obviously the biggest difference is comfort and capacity. Interesting that they are the same cost.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Yeah I know. But considering a 250 has a higher capacity it makes more sense to have it a true full size. A 150 having lower capacities makes sense to be physically smaller. Personally, if I am going to go for a truck that has max capacity, then it should be max size to take advantage of that capacity. A 150 being lower capacity to me makes more sense to be shorter since it cant haul or tow as much as the 250. I have been seeing reports of single digit MPG on the 7.3. I'm curious how big of a power and reliability difference there is between a 6.2 and 7.3. Its a real cross between the two. Majority of my honest use says 150 outwins simply due to comfort and the 90% rule. But one cant deny it is nice to be able to haul multiple full sheets of plywood without a cargo trailer. Then again the house remodel should be done in a year. Truck ownership should be at least 10 years - so I want to get it right. Its more of a debate of what I would 'want' most since either option would do the job just fine I think. But I get your point though and agree that a SD is probably easier to sell than a 150 if I didn't like it. I'm hoping to not run into that situation though because it would be money lost even though a SD could be easier to offload.

Yes Tremor is still offered but only in the crew cab. If I did get a Ranger, it would be an extended cab. A 5' bed to me is useless. A 6' bed is doable. But I dont think at this point a Ranger is the right choice. Its really not much smaller than a full size - although it feels like it when driving.

What are some differences between the 3.5 (150) and 6.3 (250)? Reliability, mileage, road manners, etc.... I think these two are pretty comparable performance wise?

Just did a build of both 150 / 250. Extended cab, 6.5' bed for both. Prices (without considering extended warranties and operational costs) are within 400 of each other. I'm not sure what the operating cost difference would be but probably not by a huge margin. Both offer a couple nice things that the other does not. For example, 250 has higher capacities. However to get a couple options I would want I have to get the Lariat (heated seats for example)... I dislike leather seats. The 150 offers heated seats in the XLT format. Almost all other options are equal. Trailer controller, backup camera, remote start, heated mirrors, both have optioned BO sound system, etc. I think the only difference is capacities, and the Lariat 250 has cooled seats while the XLT 150 only has heated. Obviously the biggest difference is comfort and capacity. Interesting that they are the same cost.
How many sheets of plywood are you planning on hauling??? Plywood is what....50-60lbs a sheet? You'd probably be pretty close to running out of room in the bed by the time you ran out if payload. For that single use case, you could always make two trips as well.

Last year I helped my brother in law rebuild his deck, and used my '78 f150 flatbed to haul the deck boards. At the time, I sort of wished I had my 2005 f250, but in the end I made 2 trips and it all worked out fine. If I had a trailer it would have completely been a non-issue, and honestly would have been a better option regardless of what truck I was using (12ft lumber on a 6ft flatbed= Carolina squat!)

I think for your use case, an f150 is a no-brainer. I totally get the "what if I need it" capacity argument, because I go through it all the time, but the truth is that in the year I've had my 2016 f150 6.5ft bed, I haven't even come close to exceeding capacities.

Chorky

Observer
How many sheets of plywood are you planning on hauling??? Plywood is what....50-60lbs a sheet? You'd probably be pretty close to running out of room in the bed by the time you ran out if payload. For that single use case, you could always make two trips as well.

Last year I helped my brother in law rebuild his deck, and used my '78 f150 flatbed to haul the deck boards. At the time, I sort of wished I had my 2005 f250, but in the end I made 2 trips and it all worked out fine. If I had a trailer it would have completely been a non-issue, and honestly would have been a better option regardless of what truck I was using (12ft lumber on a 6ft flatbed= Carolina squat!)

I think for your use case, an f150 is a no-brainer. I totally get the "what if I need it" capacity argument, because I go through it all the time, but the truth is that in the year I've had my 2016 f150 6.5ft bed, I haven't even come close to exceeding capacities.
Yep you said it well. And I agree. And likely I would use a cargo trailer to transport said building materials when needed. Getting myself caught up in the 'wat if' questions always are a bugger. The one other thing I will add. One can figure an extra 500 pounds of winch and bumper and whatever, plus 300 pounds of always carry items. Which brings the 150 from a capacity of 2,100 pounds to a capacity of 1,300 pounds. Where the 250 would go from 3,500 down to 2,700. So the question then is, for the 150, would 1,300 pounds (factoring in a reserve buffer), be enough to haul another person, some sort of canopy camper (or small trailer), and camping items....? Probably yes. Also probably close to maxing out. However, said trips would realistically only be maybe a dozen times a year. It seems the 150 is the better choice however I want to exhaust all reasonable doubt to prevent from making a mistake.

tacollie

Glamper
What size tires do you want to run? SD does better with larger tires. You can get a F250 with the XLT premium package and get cloth heated seats.

I put 33 sheets of drywall in a Tacoma. You would be fine doing that in a F150. Drive a little slower over bumps ?

F150 with big tires and lots of weight don't do much better than a SD on Mpgs. My 6.2 with the FWC and 35s averages 12 with my heavy foot.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Yep you said it well. And I agree. And likely I would use a cargo trailer to transport said building materials when needed. Getting myself caught up in the 'wat if' questions always are a bugger. The one other thing I will add. One can figure an extra 500 pounds of winch and bumper and whatever, plus 300 pounds of always carry items. Which brings the 150 from a capacity of 2,100 pounds to a capacity of 1,300 pounds. Where the 250 would go from 3,500 down to 2,700. So the question then is, for the 150, would 1,300 pounds (factoring in a reserve buffer), be enough to haul another person, some sort of canopy camper (or small trailer), and camping items....? Probably yes. Also probably close to maxing out. However, said trips would realistically only be maybe a dozen times a year. It seems the 150 is the better choice however I want to exhaust all reasonable doubt to prevent from making a mistake.
Just to muddy the waters.... I should add that my 2016 f150 6.5ft bed truck feels like it has a wider turning radius than my 2005 f250. Maybe it's because it drives more like an overgrown car with a terrible turning radius? Ive completely gotten used to it, but something to note. I think either way you go, you'll be fine. Just find a truck you like for a reasonable price and jump on it.

Klahanie makes a great point to buy for your needs now, and you can always trade it in for something else down the road. I personally want a king ranch f350 tremor, but will wait 5 years or so for the right amount of depreciation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12