2021 F150 vs F250

tacollie

Glamper
Max payload F150 only comes in the longer wheelbase options. Crew cab 6.5 bed or super cab 8' bed. The other thing is the super duty gets a full floating rear axle. I don't think the F150 rear axle is a full floater. Thus far I've been able to wedge the F250 everywhere I wedged my Tundra. Sometimes it just takes a few extra turns?

Grassland

Fiddy is a semi float rear I think. Or that new 3/4 float 9.75 but I don't even know what a 3/4 float is

jadmt

ignore button user
Ha true. Although the few times I have to park in downtown Missoula its a little frustrating. But its more the grown in roads that are cumbersome with a big truck. The 150 is slightly smaller than my current, or another full size. But I think it has a tighter turning radius too, not confirmed. Of course a full size alleviates any concerns of maxing out weight more so than a 150. My biggest reason for exploring this idea is a camper will last longer on a new truck with stiff frames than it will my OBS and the flexy C.

Are you wishing you did something different than the PW?

some times I wish I would have went with something that could handle a big slide in camper. But ultimately no I love my PW. been to moab and going again. It has gone down most of the stuff I would in my jeep short of rock crawling type stuff..When parking in downtown I have no issues but I am pretty familiar with where to go and I don't mind walking a block or two or three. I love that it gives me the ability to do some camping in non campgrounds etc. BC9472B6-4BC0-4EDD-924C-9F01F1B34C5C.jpegA8B8189F-60DD-4295-8B6D-FA80D9051BDB.jpeg

Chorky

Observer
love that it gives me the ability to do some camping in non campgrounds etc.

Nice site. Yeah I figure those sort of places are still accessible with an alaskan. At least in my area there are plenty like that which are not terribly difficult to access.

jadmt

ignore button user
Nice site. Yeah I figure those sort of places are still accessible with an alaskan. At least in my area there are plenty like that which are not terribly difficult to access.
exactly. this was off the Skalkaho.

Chorky

Observer
exactly. this was off the Skalkaho.

I'm not familiar with that area? So theres a decent old '75'ish alaskan (non cabover though :-( ) in spokane area for 2500 I think. Quite expensive for the age, but everything is stupid expensive right now anyway. And a modern alaskan is probably 8 months build time. Anywhoo... I figure both the 150 and 250 have supporting payload for a new alaskan. Both would also be less stress as their frame and thus bed flex significantly less. I cringe at the idea of a 30K camper in the back of my OBS..... But maybe just overthinking it too much. ITs a toss up. 150 is cheaper, more comfortable for the times without a camper, has plenty of towing ability for my needs, better fuel mileage, etc.... At the cost of being close of maxing it out when loaded of course, and a IFS front, and who knows what out back. 250 obviously would handle the situation without any doubt. Making the OBS work is possible, but at the cost needed for all the things I would do it seems more beneficial to opt for new. Still in research mode though. ALso food for thought, I am not a hybrid fan at all, but if the 150 hybrid had a higher payload, it would probably be pretty killer as a camper truck seeing as how it would eliminate the need for camper specific batteries, and you could still have solar (probably via red arc) hooked up and charge the onboard batteries. But their payload for a basic XL version is something like 1700 #'s And....not a fan still with unknown true reliability, plus those batteries are insanely expensive when they do need replacement.

Max payload F150 only comes in the longer wheelbase options. Crew cab 6.5 bed or super cab 8' bed. The other thing is the super duty gets a full floating rear axle. I don't think the F150 rear axle is a full floater. Thus far I've been able to wedge the F250 everywhere I wedged my Tundra. Sometimes it just takes a few extra turns?
Same. So far I have gotten my OBS in places I wouldn't take the jeep just due to off camber situations usually, weird enough. But I'm not interested in small beds. It is annoying all the 'cool' options (tremmor, PW, etc) are not offered in trucks with 8' bed. A extra cab with 8' bed would be my choice. Crew is fine, but I have no family so unnecessary. The long bed IMO is more usable and important than a crew cab..

Last edited:

jgallo1

Adventurer
F-250 will have bigger brakes, a stronger chassis and drivetrain, a more robust suspension, etc. In my eyes there's no comparison, a 3/4-ton or 1-ton blows a half-ton out of the water in most every way when it comes to being a truck. Most don't need those upgrades/improvements/benefits and therefor the half-ton reigns king and likely always will while also getting larger and stronger and more robust everyday.

I can chime in on this. Tex88w is right.

I went through this in early 2020. I looked at midsize and fullsize. I ended up with an extended cab, short bed (6'.8" ) F250 6.7 diesel. I currently have a camper on it. Here is what swayed me. When I was looking at campers. I test drove a guy's 2019 F150 with an FWC hawk. He had upgraded his suspension, had a full bumper and winch. The truck felt pretty good but I noticed it had some sway on the HWY, You had to be alittle more delicate and thoughtful breaking. In general, the truck just felt like it had some wobbles. Then, I drove a buddy's 2016 F250 with a camper and I didn't even notice it was back there. We went out through ennis to Sheridan, the truck just felt so stable, no wobbels, sways nothing. I do not regret my decision, especially in the winter. It feels so nice and stable in the winter storms up the passes etc.. The other thing to consider is, with the F250 out of the gate, depending on the camper, it should not any modifications. With the Fx4 package, 35's will fit with no rubbing. It has a ton of ground clearance. I have never measured but it is a solid amount.

Also, I am a Bozeman guy, and I don't mind using my F250 in town. you get used to parking in the back of the lot, or a street away.
Hope that helps

Attachments

• IMG_0172 2.jpeg
    IMG_0172 2.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 110

Grassland

Quick notes:
Regular F150, most have 8.8 IFS front axle, super 8.8 rear solid axle.
Some F150 have 9.75 rear solid axle.
To have over 2200# payload you will need a 5.0 or 3.5 with very specific options/build package in a lower trim truck. Ie max payload or max towing or both.
The advertised fuel economy is usually not for higher trim 4x4 trucks. Usually XL or XLT with no add ons.
The empty fuel economy and the loaded up fuel economy are nowhere near the same.
Putting larger tires, small lift, removing air damn etc notably lowers fuel economy.

I'm running a 2014 F150 XLT 300a with 3.7 V6, 1.75/1" front/rear lift. 34" inch tires in load D, a topper, skid plates and assorted daily gear, and I struggle to tow a 5000# camper with any sort of hills and get 20 liters per 100km when doing it, or worse. With a 91 octane tune.
To be fair newer truck same set up would weigh less due to aluminum.
I would literally get the same or more ground clearance with an FX4 super duty. I would likely get very similar fuel economy while towing, judging by guys towing similar/heavier stuff.

If you tow and haul seldomly, getting a max payload/max tow f150 will save you a bit upfront IF you can find one, and save you a bit on fuel when not towing or hauling. It will also drive nicer unloaded and handle a bit tighter in town.
But once you use it under load, kiss most of those advantages goodbye.

My associates 2.7 EB costs 4+ liters per 100km with its cap, roof rack, ladders and tools/gear inside on STOCK tires, height, etc than when empty, for reference.

Chorky

Observer
Does anyone happen to have door stickers of a XLT or lariat for 150 and 250 (extended cab long bed 4x4)? Heck lets throw in a 350 also (although I doubt there is a huge difference between 250 and 350)

I'm curious about the curb weight of a optioned out (hey call me old) xlt or lariat so I can compare with my current OBS and calculate what the payload capacity ends up being - since what is online is 'max available' and not realistic with given options.

Also, anyone happen to know the curb weight of a OBS 7.3 CCLB? I weighed mine once (sticker below) but I think that was with a bunch of stuff in the bed. THere is also a old gooseneck and super heavy bumper extension (probably 300 pounds in itself) from the previous owner I plan on removing if keeping the OBS. Just want to do a little comparison to see what, payload wise, a new rig actually gets me aside from upgraded components and more comforts.

Weight - Oct 18.jpg

Chorky

Observer
I also just realized how weird it is that the legal GVW is 9,200 pounds while the axle rating is 10,684 pounds not including the miniscule reserve rating. quite interesting. Must be a legal issue, or rating based on braking abilities. If anyone knows I'm all ears...that is a 1,400 pound difference or about. Which is quite substantial.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
F150 gets the standard steering rack vs pitman style in the 250 and up. The 150 is a Nicer driver for sure over the 250 and up. But as pointed out if you really need the load capacity the 250 wins. Neighbor runs his heavy pack F150 crew cab 6ft bed with fwc 100% stock full time fwc his hunting rig. Does big highway miles with it so mileage mattered more than trail bashing. Going on 5 yrs zero issues loves it. He travels solo so he’s on the light end of the scale.

Chorky

Observer
Mileage is a factor, although not the most important factor. I would be looking at a decent amount of miles as well. Also looking to go the Alaskan route. I'm over tent type material. Especially since an Alaskan allows for winter activities much better than a soft side option. But of course heavier - however not as heavy as those massive options like a bigfoot or lance.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Mileage is a factor, although not the most important factor. I would be looking at a decent amount of miles as well. Also looking to go the Alaskan route. I'm over tent type material. Especially since an Alaskan allows for winter activities much better than a soft side option. But of course heavier - however not as heavy as those massive options like a bigfoot or lance.
Alaskan’s are nice. Pretty much built the same way they were in the 60’s and 70’s. My dad had a non over cab Alaskan in the 70’s. It was heavy then lol. I recall the wood roof structure eventually was trash after yrs of road vibration and few snow loads events. I would probably give used ones beyond a few yrs old a pass unless they are 1/2 price or less, then just run it a few yrs and drop it off at the dump. Lance and similar campers are all dump material after 5-8yrs anyway.
You could go baja surf camper which is more basic and likely easier to inspect, lighter weight better built etc. Cold temps might be an issue tho.

Porkchopexpress

Does anyone happen to have door stickers of a XLT or lariat for 150 and 250 (extended cab long bed 4x4)? Heck lets throw in a 350 also (although I doubt there is a huge difference between 250 and 350)

I'm curious about the curb weight of a optioned out (hey call me old) xlt or lariat so I can compare with my current OBS and calculate what the payload capacity ends up being - since what is online is 'max available' and not realistic with given options.

Also, anyone happen to know the curb weight of a OBS 7.3 CCLB? I weighed mine once (sticker below) but I think that was with a bunch of stuff in the bed. THere is also a old gooseneck and super heavy bumper extension (probably 300 pounds in itself) from the previous owner I plan on removing if keeping the OBS. Just want to do a little comparison to see what, payload wise, a new rig actually gets me aside from upgraded components and more comforts.

View attachment 680628
I have a 2021 F350 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 and it weighs almost exactly 7,000 lbs empty, (weighed at the local feed store).
It has a max GVWR of 11,300 and the door sticker says not to exceed 3,877 cargo plus pax. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy.
I belive an equivalent F250 would have 10,000 max GVWR so 1300 less. Also, a long bed will weight a little more taking away from capacity.

My truck

Attachments

• 20210812_205413.jpg
    20210812_205413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior