2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Oilbrnr

As for container fitment, good question. I went back and forth on this. ME PERSONALLY, i have zero interest in shipping this overseas and traveling outside of North America in it. Majority of my use of this will be in the western US and back country of BC and Yukon Canada.

So no south of the board adventures. That's unfortunate. Because of the diesel huh?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
So no south of the board adventures. That's unfortunate. Because of the diesel huh?

I’ve spent a ton of time down in Baja over the years, mostly on a Moto. I’ve had some of the best times of my life down there honestly.

But the more time I spend exploring the backcountry of the SW US and Canada, I’m realizing I just scratched the surface of my own country and our neighbors up north.

I have quite a few friends that still frequent Baja, with newer diesel rigs, and finding the right fuel is of zero issue down there.

GreatWhiteRoamer on IG is Costa Rica right now in a brand new F550 earth roamer, no issues finding fuel

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Amid everything going on right now, its hard to get excited about things.

For me, working on my stuff, and building new things gives me great pleasure, and i find it very calming and relaxing. I've been going a little nuts with a brand new truck sitting in my driveway with nothing to do to it...

My suspension finally showed up yesterday, so i am eager to now have something i can do to keep my busy.

Thanks to SuspensionMaxx for the kit. Some of these parts are the ones that GXV uses on their Ram based builds.

SuspensionMaxx will now be offering the entire kit for the 4500/5500s and I'm stoked to be working with them to test it.

Its basically a leveling kit (3" front, 2" rear) that moves the front axle approximately 1" forward to clear bigger tires with minimal trimming.

Included in the kit:
-(2) CNC Precision Milled Aluminum 3" Front Coil Spacers
-(2) Rear Leaf Spring 2" Lift Blocks
-(4) Rear Spring U-Bolts
-(2) New Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
-(2) New Extended Front Sway Bar Links (not shown in pic)
-(2) Adjustable greasable "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able upper control arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward).
-(2) "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able lower arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward)
-(2) Rear shock extensions
-(1) Front driveshaft spacer (not shown in pic and only needed on 2018 and older models)

The fit and finish of this is quite impressive, and hell for stout.

I'll be installing this either today or tomorrow, and will provide before and after pics, and install instructions and video.

I'm not sure on when this will be commercially available to the public, or what retail cost will be, but if interested, contact them and ask for Larry. He's there 4500/5500 guy.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I was given a smoking deal on this in exchange for testing feedback, photos, and videos. But anyone that knows me, knows that if something doesn't work 100% to my liking, I will replace it. Honest real world unbiased feedback coming soon!

suspension_forforums.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got the suspension finished up today (except for the front sway bar links, which i forgot).

Here's some pics. Fairly straight forward install other than the upper passenger side control arm bolt needs to be cut off and replaced from the other side unless you want to remove the entire exhaust from the turbo! Super bizarre, exactly zero reason to put the bolt in from the inside. I am assuming all the frame and suspension is assembled before the motor is dropped in and thats why. But Still.. aye aye aye suspension26_small.jpgsuspension28_SMALL.jpgsuspension29_small.jpgsuspension30_SMALL.jpgsuspension31_SMALL.jpg

Attachments

• suspension22_small.jpg
    suspension22_small.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 84
  • suspension23_small.jpg
    suspension23_small.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 85

ITTOG

You assume correctly on the frame being built before the mirror is dropped in. Usually the frame is built to a rolling state before the motor is dropped in. This is the case on 90%+ anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What winch will be in the Buckstop bumper?

Warn 16.5. It’s sitting in my living room now and will be used to design and build the rear bumper/subframe and then it will be moved to the front and the rear winch will be added later down the road. Low priority at this point, but I want the rear bumper designed for one. It’s a bit tricky to keep everything as close as possible to limit overhang and such so I want to do it with the winch physically in hand versus off of measurements to make sure the free spool is easily accessible, etc...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Warn 16.5. It’s sitting in my living room now and will be used to design and build the rear bumper/subframe and then it will be moved to the front and the rear winch will be added later down the road. Low priority at this point, but I want the rear bumper designed for one. It’s a bit tricky to keep everything as close as possible to limit overhang and such so I want to do it with the winch physically in hand versus off of measurements to make sure the free spool is easily accessible, etc...

Im confused on your off road ability needs. Admittedly you will be limited off road by size but it will be equipped with 41" tires and monster winches F & R. Will you be installing lockers also? If so where do you see the need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior