2020 Power Wagon JUXI Build and Trip Thread

TXJFrosty

- 37s did not rub on the trails, even fully articulated. The additional ground clearance came in handy I’m sure. I’m running 45 psi all around on the road and 20 on the trails. I could have gone much lower probably, but there were some passages where I could go 30mph and I wouldn’t want to do that with 15psi or so.

How are your tires wearing at 45 psi on the road? I have my 37's at 55 psi on the road, but was thinking I might go lower.

thanks

jupp0r

How are your tires wearing at 45 psi on the road? I have my 37's at 55 psi on the road, but was thinking I might go lower.

thanks

What's your load rating and the actual load on your tires? Mine are rated for 3197lbs at 65 psi. I'm probably running something like 2000lbs (I have to get to a scale at some point to measure this, including the difference between front and back). 45 is pretty conservative (it was also 115F outside in a record late summer heat spell in the desert). Here's some tips from Cali: https://carlisuspension.com/tires-and-wheels-how-do-they-affect-my-ride/. Here's some really good document from Toyo if you want to do the math and know your axle loads: https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf.

GreggNY

I’m getting around 14-15 highway mpgs with the 37s, going mostly 80ish. Not much different than the stock 33s.

I’m at the same mpg with my ‘18 on 37s. 35,000ish miles now and my lifetime mpg is 14.2 on the dash. These trucks do pretty damn well with all that power

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Mid-sized meaning a U-Haul 6x12 double wheel. Maybe 5K-6K lbs worth of trailer and kit. And going up 4,000 feet in elevation but 4.5 mpg was too much for me--or too little--for me.

gillbrak

Mid-sized meaning a U-Haul 6x12 double wheel. Maybe 5K-6K lbs worth of trailer and kit. And going up 4,000 feet in elevation but 4.5 mpg was too much for me--or too little--for me.

That seems really low. I tow a 28’ ~7500 lb trailer all over Colorado. We recently did a trip out to the Oregon coast down to Tahoe and back to CO and got 8.8mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

It was the old model with the 5 speed, 4.56 gears, 5.7 sweating, etc. the new model is much more aero, 4.11s, etc.
Sorry for the thread hijack, beautiful PW and great mods :)

Antwon412

RAM is not a public well know brand, is quite hard to find a know- how who can handle it in small 4S shops.
Would you by any chance be in another country? In the US, RAM is a very well established brand. Previously Dodge, but the same company really.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
From a load perspective D is plenty, but these are still heavy rigs and I wanted the additional side wall strength of E rated tires to prevent tire damage on sharp rocks when aired down. Fitment wise it doesn’t really matter, the 13.5s clear fine after some trimming (with the right offset wheels).

I also have the 2500 RAM and am looking to replace the tires and wheels. When replacing tires I did not want to have to derate the load rating (payload) of the truck. When looking at Cooper's website, I was a bit shocked to see the E load range tire had less max load than their D load range tire. Here's a screen shot of the information from Cooper's website for the STT Pros (https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-stt-pro):

Tire SizeService DescriptionUTQGLoad RangeSidewallApproved Rim WidthMeasured Rim WidthSection WidthOverall DiameterTire WeightMax LoadTread Depth (1/32")
37X12.50R17LT124QDBLK8.5 - 11101336.7777352522
37X13.50R17LT121QEBLK8.5 - 111113.336.7784319522
(FYI- it appears most 37x12.5 D load range rated tires have the same max load of 3,525 lbs- e.g. BFG All Terrains, Cooper ST MAXX, etc.)

Previously, I thought the higher rated load range tire would have a higher max load. Anyone have an explanation for the lower max load for the higher load range?

jupp0r

Anyone have an explanation for the lower max load for the higher load range?

Yeah, the load range determines the “number of plies”, which means how robust the sidewalls and the contact side of the tires are. E range are 10 plies, D range are 8 plies. That’s non longer true nowadays as most tires only have 3 layers that are much stronger, so it’s “10 plies equivalent”. This normally means higher load index, but doesn’t have to.

jupp0r

I picked up the white knuckle sliders I ordered in July. These things are heavy and super beefy. Installation was pretty easy on the passenger side, but a little tricky on the drivers side because I had to cut some wire loom clips to make room for the backing plates to slide all the way up. Tightening some of the bolts was also tricky because I only had deep sockets and it was pretty tight. Anyways, I think I got everything snug, didn’t pinch any lines and the result looks really good. This will give us much more confidence for the Death Valley trails we want to run this Winter (Mengel Pass, Marblewood Canyon, Lippincot, maybe Steel Pass).

3b0619d0614412553a8d24cc482f3f46.jpg

I picked up the sliders on Saturday at the White Knuckle Offroad factory in Apple Valley, CA. I used my 2000 Sierra 1500 because it needs to be driven from time to time and I don’t really drive it daily anymore because of COVID.

982b71dcd6c1579b2fd2e1a67d8e1b9f.jpg

HOA “police” was super bitchy about “working on cars” not being allowed so I did this on the street instead of in my drive way (go figure).

7ebd6b5453770e875fccec7a00f73288.jpg

Looks very much like side steps, which I like.

9741fe45dbdf62ac8d56f81eb55fc4aa.jpg

The beefy part is underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94