2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Florida Native

Mike,
I can't quite visualize your setup. Any way you could post an image or two of it?
Dang! I knew someone would ask! Had to dig into the archives, but here you go. Pretty simple. Lift board, slide potti out on floor. I was going to add some thumb holes to the board to make it easier to lift but never did get around to it.

-MikePottiCabinet.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
6th,
That compartment is a fair bit different. Looks like the lid would have to span all the way over to the right of the opening up onto the cushion "shelf". While the aluminum covers are thin, I wonder if that would cause a lump under the seat cushion. Maybe not an issue depending on how and where one sits. Seems doable with a custom cover, though you'd want to check to ensure the lid can span that gap without tin-canning with butt or foot pressure in the middle of it, though that could be solved with a thin L bracket on the bottom for support.

One nice thing about the early design is the under fridge cabinet is much larger (though the REDARC lives there). There really is no down side to this layout. Only issue would come if you or a future owner wanted to run lead acid battery, which there is no venting so definitely should not. Wish I'd gone lithium right from the start.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Dang! I knew someone would ask! Had to dig into the archives, but here you go. Pretty simple. Lift board, slide potti out on floor. I was going to add some thumb holes to the board to make it easier to lift but never did get around to it.

Thanks Mike. Makes sense now and simple gated design. Thanks for digging that up.

6th,
That compartment is a fair bit different. Looks like the lid would have to span all the way over to the right of the opening up onto the cushion "shelf". While the aluminum covers are thin, I wonder if that would cause a lump under the seat cushion. Maybe not an issue depending on how and where one sits. Seems doable with a custom cover, though you'd want to check to ensure the lid can span that gap without tin-canning with butt or foot pressure in the middle of it, though that could be solved with a thin L bracket on the bottom for support.

One nice thing about the early design is the under fridge cabinet is much larger (though the REDARC lives there). There really is no down side to this layout. Only issue would come if you or a future owner wanted to run lead acid battery, which there is no venting so definitely should not. Wish I'd gone lithium right from the start.
I think it would definitely need to be strengthened covering a gap that big, I'll probably stay as it currently is configured. We do like that big cabinet, I hadn't realized it was smaller on newer versions until I just looked at photos.

On the power side, ours is production not prototype, but something that you all have is 12v power sockets. Prototypes had them, we were upset when we discovered our production model didn't. I emailed with them about it and I think they said I'd need to wire one directly to the battery as the fuse box and wiring up to our cabinet wasn't sufficient. We had wanted to be able to plug a laptop power supply in, one reason we got the bigger 170ah battery.

CTDJeeperman

Has anyone run one of these in a Ram with the Rambox? I've got a new to me truck on the way that has it and it looks like it will fit (barely). I'm tracking Camp X is 48.75" wide at the exterior floor and the Rambox at the narrowest is 49".

Anyone tried this? I think I'm going to try.

Thanks

seahaul

6th,

Well, not that it really matters but I have the the same config as Chadx. In regards to the comment about layout, i think the new one is no bueno. I tried to remove my battery and it simply wouldn't come out. OverlandEx said there is a way but after several hours of trying, using straps and 'thinking' about it over night, the grinder came out, and i had to cut the side off of the battery box that was made for lead acid venting. After that, getting the battery out still required a lot of force to pull it up. I have the 170 Ah group 31 which is bigger but I was not impressed. Apparently it went in someway, but i couldn't get it out. Im going to regular lithium group 27 batteries both for Ah and weight/ size. I'm a big guy but lifting 90 lbs up and around corners through a hole and a lid at an angle while balancing on the seat is not practical. The mark on the batter was already there. Also damaged my breaker
above the battery and some how cut off the shunt lead.

IMG_8569.JPG

Steve Hawkins

How is everyone winterizing their Camp X?

I found the drain valve on the 20 gallon tank, and I was able to drain the tank completely.
I read up on the water heater, and I figured out how to drain the Truma, so I think I am good there.
I ran the faucet for a couple minutes, until the system started "gurgling". Didn't want to run the pump dry too long fearing I might burn it out.

After the above, I am not sure what to do with the electrical system. I turn the refrigerator off between trips, so I am good there. I turn the breaker off to the water pump.

My big question and/or concern is...how should I handle the solar system and battery (I have a lithium battery). Do I need to turn something off so the battery doesn't continue to charge or over-charge, or does the Redarc system have over charge protections built into it?

This is my first camper, and I don't want to do something dumb with it that damages the systems.

BTW, I have about 20 nights in it so far, and it is performing wonderfully. My only nitpick is that I have to raise and lower it several times to get the roof to "line up" so that I can latch it down. I guess that is my upper body workout.

Skymannnn

Just got my Camp-X last week in Bozeman at BigSky RV. I did the fridge delete, solar panel, rack, rear racks (coming), king bed pullout, and the Ohmmu Lithium Battery.

Attachments

• D812565E-EADB-4298-A5A3-8B1D16F4822F.jpeg
    D812565E-EADB-4298-A5A3-8B1D16F4822F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • DA5E53E4-8EC4-4E6F-8D09-C8EA4D4820A3.jpeg
    DA5E53E4-8EC4-4E6F-8D09-C8EA4D4820A3.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 04B02DA7-F271-4AC7-89CA-F730C4A1FC67.jpeg
    04B02DA7-F271-4AC7-89CA-F730C4A1FC67.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 7ED3565A-9A1C-4D00-9EE2-D908F6B73EF2.jpeg
    7ED3565A-9A1C-4D00-9EE2-D908F6B73EF2.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 110
Just got my Camp-X as well, same install day as @Skymannnn. This thread has been incredibly helpful on this journey, especially the detail provided by @chadx. Big Sky RV also installed my 270 awning - the Ostrich Wing. They did a fantastic job, making sure I had clearance when opening the door. I've been working at optimizing every aspect of the camper. I will include some exterior images taken at Sequim State Park in Washington this past weekend. Let me know if anyone has any questions. I will definitely update my journey on this thread. Thrilled to be a new Camp-X owner!

IMG_2974-copy.jpg

IMG_2976-copy.jpg

IMG_2965-copy.jpg

IMG_2964-copy.jpg

IMG_2963-copy.jpg

The step ladder is the setup recommend by @chadx. It works great.

Skymannnn

Just got my Camp-X as well, same install day as @Skymannnn. This thread has been incredibly helpful on this journey, especially the detail provided by @chadx. Big Sky RV also installed my 270 awning - the Ostrich Wing. They did a fantastic job, making sure I had clearance when opening the door. I've been working at optimizing every aspect of the camper. I will include some exterior images taken at Sequim State Park in Washington this past weekend. Let me know if anyone has any questions. I will definitely update my journey on this thread. Thrilled to be a new Camp-X owner!

View attachment 620929

View attachment 620930

View attachment 620931

View attachment 620932

View attachment 620933

View attachment 620929

View attachment 620930

View attachment 620931

View attachment 620932

View attachment 620933

That Awning looks impressive on the Camp-X! I’m also jealous of your rear racks. Waiting on mine.

seahaul

BTW, I have about 20 nights in it so far, and it is performing wonderfully. My only nitpick is that I have to raise and lower it several times to get the roof to "line up" so that I can latch it down. I guess that is my upper body workout.

Hey Steve, if it doesnt line up all you have to do is push up or pull down on the rear support handle in a jerking motion. Pulling down moves it forward, and pushing up moves it back.

I found the drain valve on the 20 gallon tank, and I was able to drain the tank completely.
I read up on the water heater, and I figured out how to drain the Truma, so I think I am good there.
I ran the faucet for a couple minutes, until the system started "gurgling". Didn't want to run the pump dry too long fearing I might burn it out.

After the above, I am not sure what to do with the electrical system. I turn the refrigerator off between trips, so I am good there. I turn the breaker off to the water pump.

My big question and/or concern is...how should I handle the solar system and battery (I have a lithium battery). Do I need to turn something off so the battery doesn't continue to charge or over-charge, or does the Redarc system have over charge protections built into it?

This is my first camper, and I don't want to do something dumb with it that damages the systems.

Not necessarily in the exact order I do things.
  • Turn the water heater water feed to bypass
  • Release pressure on the heater
  • Drain and pull the filter
  • Open drain valve and drain the tank
  • Turn the water tank output to bypass
  • Run RV anti-freeze through the outside shower and sink faucet via the water tank bypass valve thingy
The water tank bypass valve and the pipe for the winterizing leaks anti-freeze so I always need a couple of towels to soak it up...

I have a 170Ah Lipo battery and pull it out of the camper and store in the house off the floor, otherwise it would be sat outside in the garage for several months in sub-freezing temps.

For our roof, as long as we're parked level we tend to drop the rear first and then dropping the front pulls it forward to line up correctly.

Agreed, the ladder is perfect, we bought the same one.

Overland Explorer put together a video describing the lowering process:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94