2020 Northstar Liberty - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

Porkchopexpress

Thanks for posting the pop up comparison to hard side. Did you consider the larger pop ups when you decided on your northstar? Seems like Hallmark or Outfitter models with wet baths and insulated pop up material would have met some of the same positives you listed for hard side campers.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Thanks for posting the pop up comparison to hard side. Did you consider the larger pop ups when you decided on your northstar? Seems like Hallmark or Outfitter models with wet baths and insulated pop up material would have met some of the same positives you listed for hard side campers.

Yes, we carefully looked at every brand/model of camper. Much of the issues were layout and features/options. After owning the FWC... I realized how important the windows and dinette area were. The FWC was a like being trapped in a cave. It's so nice to enjoy views inside and have a "workspace" when the weather is poor. Love the double pane acrylic windows. It would be hard to buy another camper with traditional windows. Really a game changer for comfort/enjoyment. Ability to have 40gallons water, room for water filtration system, toilet (love the thetford cassette), interior shower, roof space for solar and other things were considerations. It's so nice having a residential foam queen mattress too.

I wanted the popup for the streamlined appearance and lower height. But there's no popup that can compete with a hardwall camper for comfort, noise and easy of use (no setup). So guess it's all trade offs. I've debated building a FWC shell but they won't build one with no windows (even though they build/sell no window versions for Australia). Really don't like the current owners/management. But they are the lowest profile when down. Massive rip off and no innovation (sad).

Thankfully, with this camper unlike many popups... it's easy to drop the camper anywhere (jacks stored in basement with wireless motor system). So we can explore camper free. And that offers much more capability than any popup permanently mounted. Although, we haven't needed to drop the camper yet. Dwalt pole saw has resolved the tree/branch clearance issues.

Really need to just think how/where you plan to use the camper. Popup is ideal for mild climates. How you will store? How long will your trips be? What features/options are wanted/needed? And realistically... you may try something and change down the road after learning what is most important to you.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

I have been looking at a lot of options too. It seems like the Outfitter Apex is about as plush a pop up as any with a north south bed, basement and wet bath. I really like the higher roofline when opened up. I also like the northern lite a lot but unless I buy a dually for the 10-2, the interior height is only 76" but it has a residential size queen mattress. I'm also interested by the Scout Kenai but I'm not sure if I could be comfortable on the east west bed.
My biggest problem shopping campers is my height.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Definitely list out the must haves and wants. Then see what camper gets you the closest!

Initially, I wanted a fiberglass truck camper. Then I realized they were all HUGE! And crazy wide and heavy. So that plan got scratched. I purchased a Tufport before the four wheel camper and planned to build the shell into a full camper. Really like the fiberglass construction for waterproof, solid and repairable. It would be nice to have a true off road expedition truck camper. Think like earth cruiser GZL but full featured for long term travel like the XP Camper but hardwall version. I've walked through the EC shop while living in Bend (cool stuff).

Last edited:

greengreer

Adventurer
How is your DC to DC charger switched on? I'm contemplating a similar setup to charge off the truck while driving but want the charger to be off when the truck isn't running. I was thinking about the 12v pin on the 7 way plug but I'm not sure when the truck turns that on. Doesn't seem to supply power with just the engine on, although my multi-meter is being finicky.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Using the 7 pin connector currently. Found the feed wire and disconnected it inside the camper (breaker area) and use it to only turn the charger on/off. Seems to work fine. We also have a breaker for the charger. Typically we leave it off (solar is overkill generally). But in the snow (roof covered) it is handy to recharge.

montypower

Adventure Time!
That makes sense! We figure the camper is on wheels. So generally don't stay in locations where the weather is poor (unless being there for a purpose). Correct, we have the 1 Maxxair Fan. It works well to close all the windows (except over the bed) and pull air through. Yes, it has the upgraded insulation (check our full camper review which shows options we added/removed). I will say... the "foil" style insulation doesn't do much being there is no air space between the material to reflect heat. So probably less function although it does have it.

Why didn't we choose AC?

1. We NEVER plug in or stay at "parks" so it would need to operate solely from batteries and solar. Realistically, we'd need 1,000+ watts of solar and 600ah lithium batteries to be "functional". Not practical for such a small camper.

2. Weight. It's the worse type of weight (on the roof) for center of gravity. I'd choose to install something custom that was DC powered like from Pro Air or similar (if AC was essential) and install down low.

3. Just not needed. We've slept in 90+ degrees (at night). Not ideal but added comfort not worth the trade offs to us. We do avoid high humidity areas typically.

So really depends on your plans and how you want to use it. For us, we don't want it.

TooSteep

Observer
That's a nice configuration! The pre-2017 trucks have a bit smaller extended cab. That 142" WB is sweet. The 2017+ have a larger cab and stretched WB to 148". Although, I do think it makes the cab a viable option for more people (we store our MTB bikes back there).

Diesel is a crap shoot with complicated emissions. Plus the massive amount of weight gain. I'd only consider one if keeping under warranty and selling (any brand). But still wouldn't work for Mexico/Baja travel. Gas is the way to go unless towing 20k plus.

Your 2-bike mountain bike platform still fits in a 148" WB SuperCab? I think your video showed it in a full double cab.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Your 2-bike mountain bike platform still fits in a 148" WB SuperCab? I think your video showed it in a full double cab.

Yes! It actually bolted directly in with no modifications.

We did modify it slightly to accommodate our under platform storage. Bikes fit great. This was a big deal for us. We measured a dealer truck to verify before ordering the truck. The Crew Cab space is incredible but excessive for us. The smaller cab requires more organization but accommodates everything. Love the shorter wheelbase!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Just added up the receipts for the camper modifications. $11,423
Seems to add up quick. But considering we completely replaced the electrical and plumbing systems and layout. Of course, we did all the labor. Spendy project if hiring a shop!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Electrical break down:
Battle Born Batteries (2) 100ah: $1800
160W Solar Panels (5) flexible: $1,500
Victron Battery Monitor: $250
Victron MPPT Charge Controller: $350
Renogy DC 50amp Charger: $300
Wiring, Fuse Block, Truck Charge, switches, connectors, Wiring, etc: $1,100

About $5,300

200AH Lithium + 800W Solar + 50Amp DC Charger. That includes mostly everything. No labor.

The overheating issue is only without running a DC charger. We have one. Never an issue. It will easily charge 50amps at idle. Works great. Shouldn't run wiring like Mortons did (for reasons they mentioned). We have a video on the DC charger as well. :)

kodiak-black

Observer
I've watched all your videos on Youtube regarding your Liberty. I am going to be ordering my Liberty very similar to yours and was just recently watching your solar set up videos. I have a couple questions I wanted to ask.

1. Regarding the fridge. I noticed a lot of your solar is dedicated to powering the fridge and in your video you mentioned that the fridge sucked a lot of your power. At first I thought for sure that I would order the same fridge that you did, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Because of the ability of the 3-way fridge to use propane it seemed to me that this would lessen the drain on the batteries and solar. Although I plan to do a couple Battle Born batteries and some solar I wasn't planning to invest the same amount of time or money into a solar system as extensive as yours.

With this in mind do you think the 3-way fridge is more practical?

2. I like the idea of the Renogy DC to DC charger and getting some charging benefit from the trucks alternator. In fact I love it. With this device wouldn't it lower the amount of solar required to keep the batteries topped off?

In other words, with DC to DC charging while driving, a 3-way fridge using propane when needed and say 2 solar panels totaling 350 watts on the roof I would think I'd have enough power for most needs. Thoughts? I was also going to NIX the microwave. Although my wife wants it I argued that carrying our Honda generator just to run the microwave is silly. We also plan to NIX the AC unit.

3. Before I order my camper do you have any last words of advice regarding things you would order or perhaps reconsider? I am considering ordering it without the rear skirting. My thinking was that I may be able to use the space on the side to mount something, though my wife likes the look of the skirting.

4. Are you considering an awning of any kind? I was considering a wrap around 270 degree and wanted to hear what your thoughts are?

I will likely remove the jacks when traveling but will not be creating a space below to store them. If they fit I will likely store them in the crew cab portion of my truck.

Our set will not be as extensive as yours. We will use it for similar type of off grid camping.

For reference this will be going on a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab diesel.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
1. Fridge is one of the largest power draws. Not because it is a significant amount of power (~5amps) but it is fairly consistent power draw. That being said. In the summer, 200-300W of solar should work alright with 100ah (or larger) battery. Winter, you'll be needing more solar or DC charger to help recharge the batteries.

I would absolutely go with the compressor fridge for these reasons: more interior space (compressor unit is small compared to propane setup - makes for shallower depth), will operate at angles (think parking at trail head or beside the road or off road - propane will turn off or significantly reduce cooling), keeps cold in hot weather (propane is slower to cool and less effective in hot weather), it will run endlessly on solar (propane is a hassle to refill and if you run out then no fridge). There's no way we would go with a propane unit. That being said... for most people with RVs which spend their time in campsites (plugged in) or on the hwy (propane) it works well enough.

2. Absolutely. Technically you could run with no solar if driving daily or idling the truck (similar to running a generator). However, I think solar is wonderful with parked for days at a time. Quiet and just works (no hassle).

You can run a microwave fairly easily with 200ah battery bank and 1,500-2,000w power inverter. But it is more weight. And you will need to recharge the batteries more with solar or alternator. Going generator free is absolutely wonderful. We love it.

I'd recommend starting with a small solar setup maybe two 160W panels with a DC Charger. You could even connect the solar panels to that Renogy DC Charger (it has a built in MPPT solar charge controller). It would be simple. And easily expandable if you discover you like it.

3. We would order the camper the exact same way. Make sure they list everything on the invoice. We especially love the 2 cloths closets they they put in. And I agree. No "wrap around" allows for exterior storage. We carry an electric pole saw and shovel beside the camper. And it allows easy connection spot for the DC charger power feed. Looks are subjective but functionality is better for us without.

4. Not at this time. We had an awning on the Four Wheel Camper and Winnebago View but never used them. It isn't functional in strong wind or bad weather. And really we just go inside if it's not nice outside. The camper is also fairly tall so it creates a nice shade area by itself. Plus, the extra weight. We used awnings constantly when doing the "overland" style camping with roof tents. But with a camper it's easier to just go inside...

It seems you've given good thought to everything! Love to hear how you like the camper. :)

runaway

Thanks for all the great info and videos! My wife and I were looking for a truck camper that is big enough to be comfortable but not too big - something we could put on an F250 or 350 SRW with a Crew Cab, Short Bed, and 4X4. We wanted a full size Queen N/S bed, bathroom with shower&toilet, a functional kitchen and a face to face dinette with a decent view. We wanted moderate off-road/rough road capability but are not planning any serious 4WD adventures.

We ruled out pop-ups and anything with slide-outs, as well as anything that was heavy enough to require a Dually, or long enough to require a long bed. Which doesn’t leave a whole lot of choices! We looked at the used market and found very little available that fit our criteria.

Initially we were looking at the Wolf Creek 890, which seems pretty similar on paper to the Laredo, and about a month ago we almost pulled the trigger on one. All these truck campers are hard to get right now - people are buying them sight unseen from dealers, custom orders are 6-18 months out depending on the manufacturer, supply chains are messed up so they can't get parts, covid outbreaks in the factories etc - long story short demand is through the roof and the manufacturers can’t keep up or scale up production to meet it.

So we found a dealer near Denver that had a Wolf Creek 890 and we almost bought it - but when we really dove into the actual weight we found that it's a lot heavier than the advertised base weight, making it borderline too heavy for even an F-350 CCSB 4X4 when fully loaded. On top of that the COG was too far back to safely put it on a 6.75' bed (42” back, putting it at least 3-4” behind the rear axle and maybe more with a spacer in front). Talked to a dealer sales rep and a designer at Northwoods and ended up with bad vibes - both of them acting like these were no big deal, combined with the deceptive marketing on the weight issue. So we bailed and started looking at other options.

We thought about Cirrus 620 but no inside shower was a dealbreaker. Scout Kenai looked intriguing but they are pretty basic and have no storage, a chintzy stove and shower, etc and end up nearly as expensive as a Liberty when you add some options that we considered critical like a stove, heater, toilet, and jacks. They are brand new so durability is a question mark. Plus they are way backordered as well so we were looking at waiting till September to get one at the earliest. Wanting to use it extensively this spring/summer that was a dealbreaker as well.

We then found Northstar and your videos of the Laredo and Liberty, decided we liked the company and the build, they seemed a lot more straightforward/honest with a great reputation for quality and service and the campers seemed really functional and well thought out. We thought about ordering a custom Northstar - but after talking to the rep and a couple dealers it turns out they are also way behind - custom orders are at least 6-9 months out, maybe more. So we found a dealer about 4 hours away (Holiday RV in Poncha Springs CO - highly recommend them, Joy is great) that had just gotten a Liberty and 2 Laredo SC's in stock and went to check them out the next day. The Liberty seemed a bit too small and one of the Laredos had sold already - the one they had left wasn't perfect, had a few options that we didn't really want (Microwave, TV etc) but we really liked the layout and the feel of it, and it seemed just big enough but not too big. So we put a deposit on it, and the same day we found the truck we wanted (F350 with camper package, FX4, 7.3L gas engine, Lariat package, etc) - again it had a few options we didn't want/need but trucks are in short supply as well so we negotiated the price down a bit and bought it. We picked up the Laredo a few days ago.

We like that the Laredo has the U shaped dinette so we can face each other but also seats 4-5 people so once the pandemic is over we can have a couple friends in there with us to eat dinner and chat. I like the 7' width too, seems much more stable and nimble than the wider campers we looked at. Basically it checked all the boxes for us with a minimum of compromises - the Liberty seemed just a bit too small but the Laredo seems perfect. This is our first camper of any kind, after years of tent camping and backpacking it seems super luxurious and functional without being over the top. We are just getting it set up to camp in, haven't taken it out yet aside from driving it back from the dealer but it seemed really easy to drive with it, the F350 hardly noticed it was there.

A few notes:
1. We have the fold down overhead bunk/cabinet option since we don’t have any little people who would sleep there - but I tested it out and it turns out it’s the perfect place to carry skis. So I took out the pads and the net and we’ll use it for extra cabinet space in the summer and skis in the winter.
2. Not sure if we’ll keep or remove the microwave and TV. This is our first camper so I guess we’ll use if for a while and then decide. More storage might be nice and we don't plan to stay at RV parks with hookups much/ever. Same for adding solar - maybe down the road but will see how it goes without it first.
3. I’ve been going back and forth about bike storage - we have 2 mountain bikes we want to be able to carry, initially I was going to put a hitch rack on the back but that would require a 3” to 2.5” reducer, 18” hitch extension, and a rack that swings out so we can access the back door. Seems complicated, expensive, and I don’t like the idea of a long lever arm with 100 lbs of bikes and rack bouncing around on it. I then started thinking about putting fork mounts on the back or a ladder rack, but in the end I think we are just going to carry the bikes in the back of the cab like you do. I tested it out today, with the rear seats folded up both bikes fit perfectly and I don’t think we need to build a platform as they don’t have much room to move around anyway. I don’t want to remove the rear seats as we will use them for passengers occasionally and I don’t have a good place to store them.
4. It appears that with the tailgate down, we can load up the camper and it will go almost to the end of the tailgate. I’ve measured but not tested this yet, waiting for the new bedliner to cure. This seems ideal since we should not have to remove and store the tailgate when using the camper, and put it back on when using the truck around town. It also means that we can use the retractable step that is built into the tailgate as a step to get into the camper and not have to buy/carry another set of steps. Am I missing something here? Any reason not to leave the tailgate on?
5. The model we got is designed for longbed trucks so it has the rear wings with lights but no storage boxes. I wonder if it is possible to remove the wings so we can access the truck bed storage the way you can. Or add storage boxes later...
6. In summary, the Liberty you customized looks awesome , but for us seemed a bit small and we found the Laredo SC to be just right. The Laredo SC and F-250/350 seem to be a great combo - we went with the 350 to avoid any mandatory suspension upgrades and really just to be safe as this is our first foray into both trucks and campers. I found your videos really helpful and also got a lot of good advice on the truck at the Ford Super Duty forum. Thank you!!!!

Keep up the good work, there isn’t a lot of great info out there on these campers and yours is really helpful.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I wish an onboard generator was an option on the super duty like the f150, that would be a nice option for truck campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94