2020 Expedition Max vs. 2020 Land Cruiser

phsycle

Adventurer
What is your planned length of ownership? That Fords re-sale value is going to drop like a rock. In terms of quality of materials (everywhere, especially interior), mechanical reliability and off-road ability, you're kinda apples to oranges here.

SUV's in general drop quite a bit, especially compared to their truck counterparts. (Look at the Tacoma, Tundra, F150, etc).

Comparing strictly Ford to Toyota SUV's, I can't really tell much difference. Maybe LC's have a slight advantage, but considering they are $80k vehicles (with not much discount compared to Ford), and what they're selling for now, I would not rate their resale value really high.

And this may be subjective: I find Toyota's interior to lack behind Ford/Ram. I had things rattling and peeling in the LC, same or worse than other vehicles.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can't speak to the Expedition itself but I'm loving the 3.5 EcoBoost motor/10 speed trans combo in my F-150.

Recent trip to Wyoming (without the trailer) yielded 19 - 20 MPG on premium gas. 600+ mile range is pretty nice.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The LC is not like other Toyotas that were mass produced. If you do find yourself needing repair in some shop (either in your hometown or while on the road), the Toyota dealership may not have the LC parts on the shelf. And then what could be a quick turn around for a repair turns into a long delay. And LCs command higher prices- in whole and in part.

But a Ford or Sequoia should have better parts availability.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Not quite apples to apples, but I owned a 100 Series and a buddy has a prev gen Expedition Max.

The LC has tougher individual components, like ball joints, control arms, and rear axle. This gives it the durability reputation, few parts fail. However, the overall chassis strength of the Ford is much higher. Frame cross section at critical places were DOUBLE that of the LC. Overall the Expy has a much tighter feel on-road.

Many Expys come with a Nivomat rear self-leveling shock, which are surprisingly simple yet effective. On a recent road trip, we loaded that buddy's Expy to 8000 lbs on the dot, and the rear barely sagged. Neither my LC nor Ram 1500 could do that with factory suspension.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I recently bought a 2018 Expedition with pretty low mileage. After a long weekend running to Phoenix and back buying a trailer, I’m in love with the thing. That trip included some medium off-road, 4-low usage, sleeping in the back, and about 1300 highway miles.

Getting in my Jeep when I got home was like driving a crappy old tractor.

Expedition is a good choice.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The LC is not like other Toyotas that were mass produced. If you do find yourself needing repair in some shop (either in your hometown or while on the road), the Toyota dealership may not have the LC parts on the shelf. And then what could be a quick turn around for a repair turns into a long delay. And LCs command higher prices- in whole and in part.

But a Ford or Sequoia should have better parts availability.
Yeah I learned this one the hard way. My LC Brake parts took 8 days to get at my local dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior