2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.M

Explorer
Well, after watching the teasers, the video and the launch.

I’m sold on one.
It will be the car that puts my faithful Disco3 into semi retirement in a few years.

A silver 110 HSE with explorer pack and some options like the pictured one will be brilliant for my needs.

It’s modern, well equipped, far more capable than my D3 off road and by the sounds of it, pretty close on road or better.

IMHO, LR have played a blinder with this car.
It moves the brand on and takes the styling cues from the older ones inside and out but makes them relevant and suitable for a modern age and modern demands.

It has to pass strict emissions, crash tests, pedestrian tests and be clean enough to get into low emissions zones that are appearing in the U.K. something my D3 won’t, in 4 years I won’t be able to drive it into my local city centre....

The fact it can still wade 90cm, tow 3.5 tons, and generally keep the off road side is a credit to the designers.

As a humorous side, on Friday my mates and I are heading from Glasgow to Peterborough for the annual Land Rover show.
They are taking their “real” defenders.
They are breaking the 330 mile trip into 3, 100 mile chunks for a break...

Attachments

• 85487848-1FDA-4714-9E54-26235AECA5B6.jpeg
    85487848-1FDA-4714-9E54-26235AECA5B6.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 26

JeepColorado

They shouldn't - it's a different class of a vehicle.

In other news, Ferrari released the F8. One thing is certain, Corvette / Mustang doesn't have a thing to worry about...

Conflating Ferrari and LR?...Does Ferrari have a years long history of unreliability and poor execution as well? :)

naks

some under-the-skin photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

naks

attachment.php

attachment.php

...Land Rover says the Defender’s chassis is three times stiffer than the next best in market, and can withstand a 6.5-tonne recovery load and 7.0-tonne vertical load through the suspension...

...all the handles and internal structures are designed to be as tough as the car. Collins claims if you leave the car in neutral you can push it forward with the grab handle on the instrument panel...

...The 815mm wheel diameter for the 18-inch wheel is designed for extreme off-roading when required (Collins says you can drive up a big sand dune in Dubai without lowering the tyre pressures) ...

... Collins says you can drive up a 45-degree slope thanks to the strongest driveshafts ever deployed on any Land Rover.

...The brakes are no longer physically connected to the master cylinder, now the pedal connects to the actuator which controls a piston-driven hydraulic system. Collins says it produces far more precise and linear brake pressures on-road and allows the traction control system to work better on-road. The system can brake each wheel individually in 150ms from when slip is detected...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/791472/2020-land-rover-defender-engineering/

REDROVER

Explorer
For every f8 being sold, 400 vette and 2000 stungs are being sold, beautiful American business ideology.

Jeep has absolutely nothing to worry,
Automakers are there to make money not brag about single units.

nickw

Adventurer
I tend to agree--it ticks all of the remote touring boxes except for reliability. I'm an original 80 owner; it's still my remote touring platform. Will the new 110s still be tour worthy in 2048? Only time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Don't confuse longevity with reliability.

Your worried whats going to happen 25+ years from now? Who cares.....the rig is new now, is supported now and will be for several years.

Didn't the old ones have a 2.25 liter, you know, the "real" ones...the OG ones...not far off :)

Almost ... the "old ones" have 1.6s and 2.0s :)

My garage is equal opportunity ... 2.0IOE / 3.9 Isuzu / 4.6 Bosch / 5.7 Chevrolet :)

Attachments

• Keystone Gulch 001.jpg
    Keystone Gulch 001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 16

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We knew the new defender would be a polarizing design and a controversial release, and boy did we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Not only from a design standpoint but, it also went from a BOF SUV with solid axles to a unibody with IFS / IRS. Plus no removable roof that I can see.

Can you imagine if the next Jeep Wrangler went away from solid axles and body on frame construction?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
.........So from those two it is fair to say that the old niche market was not profitable, and that a long lasting (I've seen people mention 25 years) product was not going to be the case - it's an unsustainable business model really.

Argh. With 85 ECU's I either get a software application to support the new Defender or walk away because the dealer will be the only option for long term repair/maintenance. From McGovern's words it appears JLR is designing for a ever shrinking support timeline. This is feeling like the smartphone business model where the manufacturer expects you to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.

Bobzdar

Observer
Payloads of capable four wheel drive touring platforms...

1,984 lbs - Defender 110
1,670 lbs - Land Cruiser Heritage (regular is 1570)
1,660 lbs - Ram Power Wagon
1,560 lbs - Tundra TRD Pro
1,550 lbs - 4Runner TRD Pro
1,361 lbs - Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1,200 lbs - Gladiator Rubicon
1,155 lbs - Tacoma TRD Pro
1,100 lbs - Colorado ZR2

Edited to correct some figures.

Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is 900bs payload, per Jeep https://www.jeep.com/compare/detailed-chart.wrangler.2019.html?modelYearCode=CUJ201910&variation=1. A regular sport is 1000lbs.

Gladiator Sport S has 1600lbs payload, so the trim level matters as the Rubicon adds 400lbs worth of stuff so drops to 1200lbs payload. Just like I'm sure once you have a Defender 110 loaded with all the option packages the payload is going to be ~1500lbs.

treckin

T-Willy

Don't confuse longevity with reliability.

Your worried whats going to happen 25+ years from now? Who cares.....the rig is new now, is supported now and will be for several years.

*You're*

Yes, when people spend $60,000 on a remote touring vehicle, they often care about how long it will remain reliable, durable and dependable. Dealer support means nothing days by dirt into Mexico.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles