2019 Tundra

Dalko43

Explorer
I’d argue that Toyota knows how and does make a SUV with that kind of mileage target. It’s called the Land Cruiser, but at least in the US, people don’t want to pay the price that it takes to get a vehicle built for that kind of duty cycle.

I agree the LC is over-engineered, but I also think its hyped up a bit. The whole "25 year service-life" spawned from some Toyota engineer giving an off-the-cuff comment to a reporter some 15-20 years ago about how Toyota would like to see the LC's last that long. There is no official "25 year" or "500k mile" rating in any of the Toyota literature (at least for North America). But with the right owner, the right maintenance, and living in the right climate, I definitely acknowledge that LC's and other Toyota 4x4's can last that long, maybe longer.

I guess you could argue the same for Ford with their commercial class super duties, but again it’s really about the price target people want to pay in the non commercial retail market. Value engineering at its finest.

The Super Duties and HD pickup's are the only North American 4x4's, IMHO of course, that are engineered with the same mentality for longevity and durability as that of Toyota's trucks. The F-150, while it's a great truck, very much strikes me as "value engineering." A Ford rep even admitted that the F-150's were designed with a 10 year service life in mind on a 4x4 podcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
Thanks...so just little nit-picky things then. All of that tranny stuff would go away if they threw in a manny trans...which I hate auto trans for towing. That 26' bobtail we rented for the move had a big ol' CAT diesel in it...and was wishing for a manny. The auto was horrid. You could over-ride it to an extent, but it didn't like it. Stay in fricken 3rd for this climb damnit! It wouldn't...

There are times I want a bigger truck, then my wife says to me...you know you'll just get pissed that you can't fit it back in where you like to camp. Yes dear...I know...

Not sure why Toyota doesn't invest more into it, maybe they feel they don't have to. Seems like they sell enough to keep loyal Toyota people happy. As it seems most of us long term Toyota fans, say the same thing...go look at other offerings and say to ourslves, it is nice, but it isn't a Toyota. I like the Fords...but not sure if I could buy one for that very reasoning.

Skunk out of a dog...ummm yeah good luck with that! The tomato juice thing is BS...

Try this: https://newengland.com/today/living/home-remedies/skunk-odor-removal/

everything can be argued as being nit-picky...

What I find very odd... Toyota hasn't updated the Sequoia interior yet. still the same as 2007...

bkg

Explorer
I agree the LC is over-engineered, but I also think its hyped up a bit. The whole "25 year service-life" spawned from some Toyota engineer giving an off-the-cuff comment to a reporter some 15-20 years ago about how Toyota would like to see the LC's last that long. There is no official "25 year" or "500k mile" rating in any of the Toyota literature (at least for North America). But with the right owner, the right maintenance, and living in the right climate, I definitely acknowledge that LC's and other Toyota 4x4's can last that long, maybe longer.

The Super Duties and HD pickup's are the only North American 4x4's, IMHO of course, that are engineered with the same mentality for longevity and durability as that of Toyota's trucks. The F-150, while it's a great truck, very much strikes me as "value engineering." A Ford rep even admitted that the F-150's were designed with a 10 year service life in mind on a 4x4 podcast.

landcruiser is just a sequoia under the skin. hard to argue that it's anything different anymore. It's name recognition.

I would argue all day long that Toyota USA is designed for longevity and durability… *cough* frames *cough* :p

Dalko43

Explorer
landcruiser is just a sequoia under the skin. hard to argue that it's anything different anymore. It's name recognition.

I would argue all day long that Toyota USA is designed for longevity and durability… *cough* frames *cough* :p

I'm pretty sure the Sequoia is derived from the Tundra....the LC 200 is a separate chassis all together though it does have the same gasoline engine.

bkg

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the Sequoia is derived from the Tundra....the LC 200 is a separate chassis all together though it does have the same gasoline engine.

sequoia chassis is very different from the tundra to accommodate the IRS. Engine, trans, tcase, axles... they're all the same. Sure, the LC has different rear suspension, but there are a large number of shared components.

Great comparison:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compare/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-vs-Toyota-Sequoia_d299_d307

I wasn't aware the LC's wheelbase is so much shorter.

Clutch

<---Pass
everything can be argued as being nit-picky...

What I find very odd... Toyota hasn't updated the Sequoia interior yet. still the same as 2007...

Some of us wouldn't mind if they rewound the clocks a bit. If I could buy a brand new early 2000's Tacoma, I would. :D

Never paid too much attention to the Sequoia, but that isn't half bad! Nice and simple...

inside-the-2018-toyo.jpg

Kinda wish they would go back to even simpler. :D

image_5b3d253e6b87f_The-FJ-Company-1981-FJ40-339404-Rustic-Green-Studio_013.jpg

bkg

Explorer
looks like they made very minor updates... but they are still asking ~70k for a 08-vehicle.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I preferred the first Gen Sequoia in regards to the looks. The current model is insanely over priced for ten year old tech.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Kinda wish they would go back to even simpler. :D

image_5b3d253e6b87f_The-FJ-Company-1981-FJ40-339404-Rustic-Green-Studio_013.jpg
Just look at those soft touch materials... What are these 'crash standards' and 'safety features' you speak of? lol

While I do appreciate old Iron, I don't know that I'd want to daily drive them every day. Had my fill of that in my younger days. Nowadays I enjoy modern advancements such as power steering and brakes. Maybe a new fangled hippie FM station to listen to.... lol

Clutch

<---Pass
I preferred the first Gen Sequoia in regards to the looks. The current model is insanely over priced for ten year old tech.

Dirt bike buddy of mine picked up a 1st Gen over the summer for $5500...does the exact same thing as the $70K one....pulls a bike trailer just fine. :D

Just look at those soft touch materials... What are these 'crash standards' and 'safety features' you speak of? lol

While I do appreciate old Iron, I don't know that I'd want to daily drive them every day. Had my fill of that in my younger days. Nowadays I enjoy modern advancements such as power steering and brakes. Maybe a new fangled hippie FM station to listen to.... lol

I like some modern conveniences. Like fuel injection, power steering/brakes, AC, etc. Don't really need informant screens, self driving, heated this or that.

If I was wealthy enough to buy a Land Cruiser from the FJ Company would do it in a heart beat.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I like some modern conveniences. Like fuel injection, power steering/brakes, AC, etc. Don't really need informant screens, self driving, heated this or that.

If I was wealthy enough to buy a Land Cruiser from the FJ Company would do it in a heart beat.
I sued to think I'd be okay with manual windows / locks. But in a four door with kids in tow, I think it would suck. If I was cruising around in a classic door door hardtop, that woul dbe something different for sure.

If I had money just to buy a toy, I have no clue what I'd get. I don't think I'd be able to make up my mind. '56 Nomad, '62 bubbletop 409, '58 Belvedere, '64 Riviera, '68 Charger, early 70's Suburban, '80's FJ60, old wagoneer.... I could think of 284,865 other options too....

bkg

Explorer
Dirt bike buddy of mine picked up a 1st Gen over the summer for $5500...does the exact same thing as the $70K one....pulls a bike trailer just fine. :D

you haven't lived until you've had a heated steering wheel in the winter... and AC'd leather seats in the dead of summer. :p

Clutch

<---Pass
you haven't lived until you've had a heated steering wheel in the winter... and AC'd leather seats in the dead of summer. :p

Ha ha! We have heated seats in the Trooper, but I never use them. Backup camera would be handy though.

I sued to think I'd be okay with manual windows / locks. But in a four door with kids in tow, I think it would suck. If I was cruising around in a classic door door hardtop, that woul dbe something different for sure.

If I had money just to buy a toy, I have no clue what I'd get. I don't think I'd be able to make up my mind. '56 Nomad, '62 bubbletop 409, '58 Belvedere, '64 Riviera, '68 Charger, early 70's Suburban, '80's FJ60, old wagoneer.... I could think of 284,865 other options too....

A garage like Jay Leno's is what I am thinking... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles