2019 Ram 2500 or 2020 Ford F-250???

D

Deleted member 9101

400 feet pounds of torque at 1500rpm is what I heard. That is plenty. From the sound of it, this engine is designed to be abused. Simple, *hopefully* reliable, and over built. That is exactly what I am interested in. Now let's see how effecient it is and what kind of range you can get. At this point I'd rather have the gasser. I love diesels but I hate what has happened to them. I'm looking for reliability and payload. You can't touch the modern turbo diesels for raw power. For my dreams and ambitions the 7.3 sounds about right.

From what Ford said a while back, the 7.3/10 speed should get the same fuel economy as the 6.2/6 speed.

If they are dropping them in an F550... You'll probably never strain it in a F250/350....lol.

jadmt

ignore button user
From what Ford said a while back, the 7.3/10 speed should get the same fuel economy as the 6.2/6 speed.

If they are dropping them in an F550... You'll probably never strain it in a F250/350....lol.

Be nice if it got better but probably won't in daily driving but hopefully better when pulling a trailer or hauling a camper.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Those ditch lights give me bad intentions... LOL! I just don’t think they would work with my AEV Raised Air Intake.

You can't run a snorkel with them, just ask @marshal

so when is the 7.3 really going to hit the dealerships?

My dealer told me they are set to get their 2020 SD's in mid-September. I am not sure if that means both motors or the unchanged diesel first?! This info is a month or so old now and it's possible timelines could have changed. I am holding out on a purchase until I can get hard numbers or see one in person.

Adventurous

Explorer
Not to be cynical, but how long do you plan on holding onto this truck for? It would be a real shame to bear the brunt of depreciation if you offload it a year down the road.

As to Ram or Ford, I don't know if either has a feature so desirable that would push me into that brand. Both are good trucks. The aftermarket support seems stronger with the Ram, but that could just be because I'm more familiar with it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Not to be cynical, but how long do you plan on holding onto this truck for? It would be a real shame to bear the brunt of depreciation if you offload it a year down the road.

As to Ram or Ford, I don't know if either has a feature so desirable that would push me into that brand. Both are good trucks. The aftermarket support seems stronger with the Ram, but that could just be because I'm more familiar with it.

That's a fair assessment and to be honest I have a track record of less than two years with a vehicle for the most part. I'd like to think that it will be different this time as I have some other interests and pursuits I'd like to focus on in the coming years that require that I settle down with a truck and move on with life. I'd like to think that this one will be around 5+ years and I aim to make it a goal.

I agree in regards to the two, we like the looks of both even though they are very different in design. We still like the 2018 RAM and can get some smoking deals on left overs with those as well ($13-15K off sticker). You are correct in regards to the aftermarket, it appears that with the more off-road focused products that the RAM is favored over the Ford. That matters to some degree, but I can still get everything I would want or desire on the Ford as well (bumpers, lift, habitat, etc.).

I think I'll end up in whichever I get the better deal on and I am seeing some dealers blowing out their remaining 2019 F-250's for $12k+ off sticker as well so theres no clear winner at this moment.

Joanne

Adventurer
I really can't give any advice, but I can share my experience with my 2012 F-250 diesel. Previous to this truck, I've driven various 4x4 SUVs and trucks for the last 25 years. This truck is by far the most capable vehicle I've ever owned. I do a lot of abandoned mine exploring and I've taken the truck so many places that I had absolutely no business taking any truck. The low end grunt just keeps pulling and pulling. I've never had to back down because I couldn't get where I wanted. Every time I go to the tire shop, the guys comment, "You really take this thing off road, don't you?" The only down side I have is the cost of oil changes and maintenance. Being that this is my first diesel, it just cost more that I was used to. Still worth it to me!

I think either truck would be a great choice. Find the truck you fall in love with at the best price you can get. Don't reluctantly buy a truck because it's supposed to be the "best". Get the one that you can't live without.

Joanne

glock7018

I think it's funny when articles and people say the new 7.3 ONLY makes 430 hp and 475 ft. lbs of torque. First world problems for sure.
It was clearly done for marketing. It has more torque than the ram 6.4 and more HP than the GM 6.6. Its basically the fastest gas 3/4 ton with the best torque curve and people are kicking rocks over it. I'm willing to bet a 5 star tune will add more power than people need.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
It was clearly done for marketing. It has more torque than the ram 6.4 and more HP than the GM 6.6. Its basically the fastest gas 3/4 ton with the best torque curve and people are kicking rocks over it. I'm willing to bet a 5 star tune will add more power than people need.

Ram/Dodge have never sat back and let Ford or Chevy win the HP war. I guarantee Ram will come out with a new V-8 with more power.

D

Deleted member 9101

Oh..a tune will be nice... But wait until an aftermarket cam is available.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wasn’t dodge/ram almost completely irrelevant until 1989 when they introduced the Cummins? And then again until 1994?
Dodge trucks remail relevant because of their price. Other than the Cummins, they don't have a lot that distinguishs then from other trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier