2019 Ram 2500 or 2020 Ford F-250???

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Throw it in neutral and hit the button again, problem averted. Not only that, this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone doing something like that, I have had lots of push button start vehicles and I have never come close to such a scenario.

"Throw it in neutral"??? My understanding is that the "shifter" is just another knob on the dash. You have to grab the correct knob and twist it to the correct position, all in the dark and panicked? Since the shifter is electric, does it even work when the truck is turned off?

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand how this could possibly work. I'd think that on-off button would be disabled when the truck is running and in gear!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
"Throw it in neutral"??? My understanding is that the "shifter" is just another knob on the dash. You have to grab the correct knob and twist it to the correct position, all in the dark and panicked? Since the shifter is electric, does it even work when the truck is turned off?

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand how this could possibly work. I'd think that on-off button would be disabled when the truck is running and in gear!

Nuetal is on the shift knob and seeing how it is still in gear it would likely still be illuminated as I can't see how it would fully lose aux power when still in gear. That said, I don't see how this could possibly even happen, that is unless this story is BS, but it's not my friend telling it so who knows?!

I just went out and tried it on our LX570 and an alert message comes up and says "for an emergency shutoff please depress and hold the start/stop button", so in regards to the Lexus/Toyota it isn't possible to simply "bump" the button and have a scenario such as you described. I can't imagine that it would be possible on any auto currently made simply for safety reasons. I guess it's possible that she depressed it long enough in order to override it?!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I say BS.

But I also say that stupid crap like a dash mounted knob instead of a legit column shifter is the kind of BS that keeps people like myself buying Ford.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
On my 2008 and 2015 Super Duties, if you turn off the key: The dash dies, the engine ignition dies, lights stay on because ford lights stay on when you turn them on, the transmission STAYS in gear, the TCC stays locked in, the engine keeps on turning over as long as you're moving, power steering still works because belt is still pumping. Turn the key back on, and engine fires right up, no starter needed.

If her story is true, Dodge has a safety issue. I'll bet her story is false, and that the Dodge operates the same as Ford.

My 08 had a sensor bug for a while, would give off false HET alarms, that I could clear on the hwy, by simple key off, key on. Never did track it down.

OP: The Ford rear Elocker is priceless. And NO, paying twice as much for a truck that's no better than an XL is not worth it. None of the bling bling stuff is worth a single darn anywhere. I'm not jealous of Lariats at all. I prefer the manual xfer case, but my current truck's ESOF is winning me over. 4wd, and locked with just a flick of the wrist. Avoid the moonroof, electric up/down tail gate, adaptive steering, and maybe the adaptive cruise. Lifts and winch bumpers jack up the cruise sensors.

If you have the irresistible urge to keep up with the Jones's, use the $400 a month you save, and buy Ducati or BMW.

I'd recommend, F250/350 CC, Tremor, XL, XL equipment upgrade group power everything, any engine, any trans, any axles. But get the biggest gears you can. Avoid the diesel if you don't NEED the diesel, get it if you truly do. Then just get brighter bulbs for the headlights. Sylvainias Silverstar are excessively bright, and if you don't aim them down.........

Dodge needs a rear locker, freespin hubs, and a new gas engine before I'll look at them again.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If her story is true, Dodge has a safety issue. I'll bet her story is false, and that the Dodge operates the same as Ford.

Known the lady for nearly 40 years. Not one to lie or exaggerate so I believe her. She was pretty shook up by the experience.

But I'm with you as far as all the bling stuff. That's why I'm sticking with my 2004 Dodge Cummins dually as my heavy hauler. Plain jane, manual 6 speed tranny, handle on the floor to yank if I need 4x4 - even converted to free-spin hubs. Not much to go wrong, dependable as the sunrise every morning.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I’ve been in a Dodge/Ram 2500 since 2004 (2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi then 2012 Ram Power Wagon) and I’ve been very happy. Both have had the 5.7L Hemi, and both get the job done. I prefer the interior of the 2019 Ram over Ford, but the Ford Tremor has me intrigued. If you need a diesel and want some more off road goodies, the Tremor may be worth the wait. I don’t think many will argue how good the CTD in the Ram is. Mostly it may come down to budget. I believe that Ford and Ram make quality products.

dogman1911

Miss me yet?

ram11.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Our 8.1l was weaker than a lil Ford 5.4l.

Same reason chassis cab trucks get de-rated and massive torque limiters. It's painful watching 5'er towers avoid chassis cabs because of the de-rate, and big gears due to ignorance, only to see them later puking coolant on the side of a hill.

jadmt

ignore button user
I owned a new 1996 GMC 2500 with 454/auto (290hp/410tq) and a 1991 F250 with 460 and C/6(was like 385 ft/lbs and 250ho or something like that) and at the time they seemed like they had a lot of power and they are not close to what the new 7.3 is and not nearly as nice of a tranny. My guess is if there were no numbers published and people were left to guess the numbers on their own they would probably be gushing all over themselves :).

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd probably shoot for an XL with the STX package and the 7.3 with the 10 speed. It's designed to be beat on by fleet vehicle drivers and not flinch. It is a pretty interesting engine design when compared to other large gas engines on the market.

My guess is after market companies will quickly start finding ways to increase the power.

400 feet pounds of torque at 1500rpm is what I heard. That is plenty. From the sound of it, this engine is designed to be abused. Simple, *hopefully* reliable, and over built. That is exactly what I am interested in. Now let's see how effecient it is and what kind of range you can get. At this point I'd rather have the gasser. I love diesels but I hate what has happened to them. I'm looking for reliability and payload. You can't touch the modern turbo diesels for raw power. For my dreams and ambitions the 7.3 sounds about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior