2019 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab LWB weekend adventure truck build

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Questions and comments:
- How did the Thule XT2 Pro interfere with your campershell? I have a 2012 f150 with a standard bed cap and the same bike rack. I've never ran into any issues with loading two bikes on it.
- Are you at all concerned with the solar wiring exposed on the roof like that? I might be worried about a tree limb catching or even just wind at highway speeds putting a beating on the wiring. Just a bit of constructive criticism. I'm now electrician or vehicle designer though I may aspire to be

The inside bike front wheel basket blocks the barn door from opening. It sits about 1/2" too high. So I had to remove it. I could probably have just cut it down. But since the rack wasn't holding my bike well and was damaging the bike I just returned it. For what it's worth, the 1upUSA rack at the same cost is so so much better, but it is lacking built in locks and unlatching it to drop it down is a bit awkward.

Not really concerned about the wires in wind, I've driven 80mph into headwinds with no problems. They are held very well with redundant zip ties. I'll probably replace the zip ties once a year just in case. Branches could be an issue, but I stop and check any branches that would be close to hitting the roof anyway, don't want to break the cover on my vent either. The wires do move around a little bit and rub on the roof, I'll probably VHB tape some wire guides on.

ricoisme26

The inside bike front wheel basket blocks the barn door from opening. It sits about 1/2" too high. So I had to remove it. I could probably have just cut it down. But since the rack wasn't holding my bike well and was damaging the bike I just returned it. For what it's worth, the 1upUSA rack at the same cost is so so much better, but it is lacking built in locks and unlatching it to drop it down is a bit awkward.

Not really concerned about the wires in wind, I've driven 80mph into headwinds with no problems. They are held very well with redundant zip ties. I'll probably replace the zip ties once a year just in case. Branches could be an issue, but I stop and check any branches that would be close to hitting the roof anyway, don't want to break the cover on my vent either. The wires do move around a little bit and rub on the roof, I'll probably VHB tape some wire guides on.

Right on! i hadn't considered how the barn door opens vs my tailgate/cap's rewindow. I can't open the tailgate with the bikes on either, it would hit them and i do have to tilt the rack to open the rear window so i see how the barn doors could cause an issue.

I look forward to seeing more updates and trip reports!

How is the gas mileage and braking with the 33’s and the camper? I’m thinking about going up to that same tire size from 265/75r16. I want to go 33’s but have been hesitating due to braking performance and gas (both already kinda suck with the camper and 32’s) . The 255’s are lighter than 285’s and with the 17” wheels I should be able to fit the V8 pathfinder brakes in as well.

sideburns

How is the gas mileage and braking with the 33’s and the camper? I’m thinking about going up to that same tire size from 265/75r16. I want to go 33’s but have been hesitating due to braking performance and gas (both already kinda suck with the camper and 32’s) . The 255’s are lighter than 285’s and with the 17” wheels I should be able to fit the V8 pathfinder brakes in as well.

I only ran it stock for about 1500mi, before I put on the 255/80R17 tires and winch bumper. So only 500 miles of highway and 150 miles of dirt back roads, rest was hilly in town mileage. Braking felt like it was slightly diminished, acceleration was hurt worse but it still gets up to speed on highway onramps just fine. Gas mileage is about 15mpg avg. 10-12mpg around town and 4lo with aired down tires, would probably be a bit worse rock crawling or in deep snow or mud. 14-18mpg on the highway over 70mph. 16mpg to 20mpg cruising around 35-55mph. The camper really only hurts it above 45mph, the tires/lift/bumper/weight really only hurts it around town and offroad. I got 11mpg once doing 80mph into a 30mph headwind for 100miles. I feel like the bigger tires don't hurt highway cruising much, and since that's most of my miles it's not an issue. But if I did more around town miles, or lots of slow 4lo driving in sand/mud/etc then sticking with 32's would be better.

I'm probably doing pathfinder v8 brakes when mine are worn out. I've heard they help braking more than upgraded stock size rotors/pads, but not pedal feel. Need to do the brake booster/master cylinder to get firmer pedal feel.

(none)

Adventurer
I only ran it stock for about 1500mi, before I put on the 255/80R17 tires and winch bumper. So only 500 miles of highway and 150 miles of dirt back roads, rest was hilly in town mileage. Braking felt like it was slightly diminished, acceleration was hurt worse but it still gets up to speed on highway onramps just fine. Gas mileage is about 15mpg avg. 10-12mpg around town and 4lo with aired down tires, would probably be a bit worse rock crawling or in deep snow or mud. 14-18mpg on the highway over 70mph. 16mpg to 20mpg cruising around 35-55mph. The camper really only hurts it above 45mph, the tires/lift/bumper/weight really only hurts it around town and offroad. I got 11mpg once doing 80mph into a 30mph headwind for 100miles. I feel like the bigger tires don't hurt highway cruising much, and since that's most of my miles it's not an issue. But if I did more around town miles, or lots of slow 4lo driving in sand/mud/etc then sticking with 32's would be better.

I'm probably doing pathfinder v8 brakes when mine are worn out. I've heard they help braking more than upgraded stock size rotors/pads, but not pedal feel. Need to do the brake booster/master cylinder to get firmer pedal feel.

I'll add for the braking: I added the V8 front brakes along with SS lines all around. The brake pedal feels fine. Not great, but mine were never really bad as some people state theirs is. The caliper pistons on the V8 calipers are just slightly smaller than the stock caliper pistons, so as you note, feeling really won't change.
If you want a cheap and easy way, ditch the stock pads and throw in some EBC yellow stuff pads front and rear. They grab MUCH better than stocks. Only downside is you'll have to deal with the brake dust, but at least they are quiet and work very well.

sideburns

I haven't updated in a while. Here's the short list for now.

Propex heater installed, working great

Insulation is in except for the sides/front of the truck bed. Still need to cover the installation with some kind of cloth.

10lb propane tank on an Expedition Essentials mount installed on rear door

Heavier coils installed and they were just the ticket up front to level the truck out loaded and avoid some bottoming out.

Ordered the just released in the US Koni Raid 90 Series shocks from ADO today and they shipped already! Felt like the 5100s were just a little too weak for the weight, while I love the digressive valving on road, off road it feels like I need more damping. Hopefully I won't feel like I need a rear swaybar in the twisties
.20211227_102935.jpg

Diode Dynamics Backup lights installed but not wired up yet

Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber Fogs installed to replace the Baja Designs wide cornering lights that throw too much light up high to use on the road.
Probably throw the BD lights on ditch light brackets at some point for offroad only use.

Got a 4" mattress, 2" of latex on top of 2" of Lux HQ 50lb foam from the foam factory. A little too firm for my taste, might get a softer 35# foam for the bottom at some point. The latex is super heavy too. When you have to lift the whole mattress and bedding to stow the bed it's a bit heavy.

Replaced the problem prone Sherpa 4x4 Big Air with a pair of Viair 425C compressors and a 2gallon tank. Also built a DIY 4 tire inflation/deflation setup that really helps the air up/down time and accuracy.

Have 32k miles on the Toyo Open Country AT III's they're a bit quieter now, still have great traction, but are wearing faster than I'd like. The extra weight of the camper and lots of dirt road miles are really wearing them fast. Probably buy another set, as they're the most widely available at tire shops around here if I need a replacement. Not as many Falken, Cooper, or Nitto dealers around, which are the other makers of AT tires in 255/80R17. Probably replace them this fall/winter at 38k-40k miles or so.

Phessor

Been a long while with no updates here, but I figured I'd at least put down some notes on where the build is at and where it's going.

The camper now has an electrical panel mounted, battery is installed on the floor in the front passenger side of the bed, and the fridge is installed in the rear passenger side of the bed. Put 200w of solar on the roof as well. That and some wall insulation are all I've gotten done, it got hot, then it got smokey. I lost all motivation to work on the truck. I did get a two 3-4 day trips out to the coast, one to around Seaside Oregon, and one to Bellingham Washington with a stop at Mt. Rainier. As well as a week long trip to Montana over the Magruder road right as the fires were starting up in July. Now have about 25 nights in the camper, about 15 of them dispersed camping, the rest camping in friends and families driveways.

Mileage is pretty good, under 45mph and it makes no difference I can measure. Highway mileage really depends on speed and winds, 50-60mph highway speeds its maybe 10% down, but at 70-80mph it's down about 15-25% from an empty stock trucks 19mpg. 33" tires on stock gearing and probably 800lbs of load over stock. Camper hit mileage about as much as going to 33" tires and putting a front winch bumper on did, less difference around town, a bit more difference on the highway. Worst highway mileage I've seen was 110mi from Ritzville WA to Ellensburg WA at 80mph into a 20mph headwind with some higher gusts, 11mpg, about what I see around town! Best I saw was Walden CO to Ft Collins CO, at about 45-65mph(avg about 55mph probably) when I got 19.5mpg. Vernal UT to Steamboat CO at 65-67mph was pretty typical with about 17mpg.

I got my HD front coils, but not installed them yet as I can't schedule an alignment same week in this town and I don't want to commit a week or two out to getting the project done. I got my Diode Dynamics SS2 Flush mount Flood backup lights this week as well as my Morimoto XB LED Hybrid lights today. Installed the lights within about an hour of getting them, that's how much the stock lights suck. Going to aim them tonight with 200lbs extra in the bed.

Ditched my Thule XT2 Pro bike rack that was damaging my bike(and was only usable for one bike because of my full height barn doors) and ordered a 1up Super Duty Double bike rack, will add a 1up Rak Attach swingout as soon as possible. Hopefully the rack is here in a couple weeks, as it's starting to cool off and I want to go ride when the smoke isn't too bad.
View attachment 678123View attachment 678124View attachment 678122View attachment 678125View attachment 678124View attachment 678126View attachment 678121View attachment 678119View attachment 678127

How did you run your solar panel wires down to the controller?

sideburns

How did you run your solar panel wires down to the controller?
So I ran them along the underside of the roof to the rear. Then attached them to the hinge like the 3rd brake light wiring is. I do have the older aluminum tubing style popup. I don't have a photo, but something like this, but in the rear.

Attachments

• 20210506_194026~2.jpg
    20210506_194026~2.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 13

Phessor

So I ran them along the underside of the roof to the rear. Then attached them to the hinge like the 3rd brake light wiring is. I do have the older aluminum tubing style popup. I don't have a photo, but something like this, but in the rear.
Thank you, I still have a little bit of a wait before I get mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles