2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

GB_Willys_2014

Some Ranger love:

The 2019 Ford Ranger Is This Year's Best Midsize Truck

The total package is just much more convincing than the Tacoma or Colorado, and probably more practical than the Jeep Gladiator

I plan to buy it from Ford when the loan period is up. I know it works, I know what it’s capable of, and I know how to get the most out of it.

nickw

Adventurer
Some Ranger love:

The 2019 Ford Ranger Is This Year's Best Midsize Truck

The total package is just much more convincing than the Tacoma or Colorado, and probably more practical than the Jeep Gladiator

I plan to buy it from Ford when the loan period is up. I know it works, I know what it’s capable of, and I know how to get the most out of it.

Thanks for sharing - pretty much aligns with where much of the hype was heading. I have 1300 miles on mine and the power train is excellent, pulls hard from a stop and is very linear and torquey.

It is bouncy and is a bit unrefined from a ride perspective, but that comes with the territory of higher payload and an older design, it reminds me a bit of my 2001 Tacoma with aftermarket OME stuff. I'm concerned the new 2021 model will "address" this and remove some of the truckiness. People seem to want their cake and eat it too, I don't see how to get both, I can't imagine what the reviewers would say about a LC 70 series or a Hilux that everybody seems to think they want.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
reviewers would say about a LC 70 series or a Hilux that everybody seems to think they want.
Reviewers seem to mostly not be truck people so they'd hate those trucks for being trucks. Not shocked. I'd buy a Ranger here now I think mainly for the reason that it's probably more like a Toyota truck than Toyota is offering in the U.S. I would buy a Hilux if they offered it but I have had people familiar with them overseas say they like the Tacoma (2nd gen at the time) more. So I dunno. I just think the relative simplicity of a Hilux would suit me.

vanmichel

gotta wonder. they say won't effect the warranty. I don't believe it. I would bet it leaves a footprint in the ecm. I know almost every oem manufacturer can/may void engine and tranny warranty if tuners are used.

Depends on the type of tuner. A piggyback system like a JB4 doesnt void a warranty as it doesnt actually adjust the ECMs settings. A reflash tuner will show up.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I've watched several reviews of the rangers and one concern that seems to keep cropping up is the articulation. The tires seem to leave the ground rather readily. Has this been discussed and I missed it? Also the back seat only fold to like 30 degrees instead of flat and doesn't have the 60/40 split. Are these concerns for anyone else? Price seems to be a big selling point but if you had to put the lariat fx4 up against the colorado zr2, what would your choice be?

nickw

Adventurer
I've watched several reviews of the rangers and one concern that seems to keep cropping up is the articulation. The tires seem to leave the ground rather readily. Has this been discussed and I missed it? Also the back seat only fold to like 30 degrees instead of flat and doesn't have the 60/40 split. Are these concerns for anyone else? Price seems to be a big selling point but if you had to put the lariat fx4 up against the colorado zr2, what would your choice be?
Meh - not that impressed by articulation, I'd rather have a higher payload, which typically comes at the expense of articulation. They both have similar IFS construction and leaf sprung rear axles, I don't see anything inherent in the Rangers design structurally that would hold it back if you wanted to modify the suspension so it ramped better. I'm guessing part of the reason why is it a) maybe have a stiffer frame and b) has stiffer rear springs related to the higher payload capacity. I can't think of any situation where articulation trumps payload for expedition use.

Back seat is not ideal, your right, it's probably 30 deg from flat when folded down.

FX4 doesn't really align to the ZR2, you'd have to spend some $$ on suspension (which is coming soon) on the Ranger and your never going to get the factory locker up front, although I'm sure ARB will come out with one. I think you probably need to ask yourself what you want. Higher payload and much higher towing capacity, Ranger. Better factory suspension, ZR2. Front locker, ZR2. Higher HP gas engine, Ranger. Diesel, ZR2. Cost, Ranger....but that is subjective when you start adding aftermarket stuff to compete.

Lots of trade-offs. From a strictly "Expo" perspective, I think the Ranger is the better rig due to it's payload. Offroad the ZR2 has an obvious advantage.

jadmt

ignore button user

all of those concerns are my concern as is the 18 gallon fuel tank.. I really wanted this Ranger to be the end all but it is not even close for what I was hoping for. I would pick the ZR2 over any variation of the ranger.

nickw

Adventurer
all of those concerns are my concern as is the 18 gallon fuel tank.. I really wanted this Ranger to be the end all but it is not even close for what I was hoping for. I would pick the ZR2 over any variation of the ranger.
Re; Fuel, it's probably going to get you about as far as any LC will...they have bigger tanks but get much worse mileage....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
all of those concerns are my concern as is the 18 gallon fuel tank.
Completely agree, if they aren't giving us diesels then what's with the small tanks?

Anyway: http://thelongranger.com.au/ford/ranger/2011-current/

They are diesel and I have no idea if the U.S. version frame is similar or the same to the global that would make mounting the same or even just trivially different. But those guys make a Tacoma tank (which I would dearly love to get), which required I guess some customization to adapt from the Hilux. Just assuming the Ranger-to-Ranger Long Ranger must surely be no more difficult an adaptation.

jadmt

ignore button user
Re; Fuel, it's probably going to get you about as far as any LC will...they have bigger tanks but get much worse mileage....
I am not interested in a LC or what tank range it has, what I was interested in was a Ford Ranger it would have been so much more appealing if it didn't have such a small tank. start towing with it and you're looking for a gas station way too often.

nickw

Adventurer
I am not interested in a LC or what tank range it has, what I was interested in was a Ford Ranger it would have been so much more appealing if it didn't have such a small tank. start towing with it and you're looking for a gas station way too often.
I was pointing out that tank size is a pointless metric, it doesn't tell you anything.

Rest assured - bigger tanks are coming aftermarket I'm sure....

jadmt

ignore button user
I was pointing out that tank size is a pointless metric, it doesn't tell you anything.

Rest assured - bigger tanks are coming aftermarket I'm sure....

really? so knowing fuel capacity and real world mpg for a particular vehicle tells me nothing? It tells me how far I can get on a tank of fuel under normal conditions. For me the ranger's oem tank is too small for the mpg it gets. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

nickw

Adventurer
really? so knowing fuel capacity and real world mpg for a particular vehicle tells me nothing? It tells me how far I can get on a tank of fuel under normal conditions. For me the ranger's oem tank is too small for the mpg it gets. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.
[/QUOTE

What you are after, which like I pointed out in the Land Cruiser example, is what needs to be compared, which like you say requires MPG. The Ranger will go just as far on a tank as a Land Cruiser, which are considered the go to expo rigs. I bet the range is within 30-40 miles of a new Tacoma as well, fully loaded it may even be the same (or better)...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94