2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Wallygator

Adventurer
I agree that an aftermarket suspension will most likely be the cats meow on the new Ranger. Say an OME medium or so. Despite the ecoboost (I have never owned one but my family has had horrible issues-early motors) which I'm not sure I trust completely yet, the price, and I believe the ease of modifying the new Ranger, has me leaning towards it for a midsize truck replacement to my 4Runner one day.

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
At this point, if a midsize truck could fit the bill for me, I really have no clue which one I'd go with between the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger and Gladiator. But, it sure is nice to have options! Really, I'm thinking I'll end up needing a 3/4 ton gas pot.

rkj__

Adventurer
At this point, if a midsize truck could fit the bill for me, I really have no clue which one I'd go with between the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger and Gladiator. But, it sure is nice to have options!

As far as I can tell, none of them are terrible. All of them are competetive. Straight from the dealer, I think the Colorado ZR2 and Gladiator Rubicon are the most complete off road packages, but everyone knows the Tacoma has fantastic aftermarket support, and I don't think you will have trouble building a Ranger into a capable off road rig either.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think at one point a "3/4 ton" did in fact indicate the approximate payload capability of the truck.

When did that change? Anyone know? 60's? 70's?

I believe the "ton" ratings are leftovers from the WWII military. The military classified their vehicles by the ability they could haul for planning and logistics purposes.

So, during WWII there were the early Dodge WC series trucks that were 1/2 ton rated. Then later they upgraded to the 3/4 ton, the most well known of which was probably the WC-52, often called the "Weapons Carrier" (contrary to what some will tell you, "WC" does not stand for "Weapons Carrier", it is the Dodge model designation for their 4x4 military trucks made during WWII.) The WC series included the WC-52 (basically an open top pickup, early in the war it was nicknamed the "Beep."), the Command Car, which was an open topped passenger vehicle, and the "carryall" which can be thought of as the ancestor to the modern wagon-type SUV.

Here's a good Wiki article on the WC series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_WC_series

Other manufacturers, of course, also made vehicles during WWII using the "ton" ratings to classify them including, of course, the GMC CCKW "Deuce-and-a-half" (2 1/2 ton truck) and the Willys and Ford "quarter ton" i.e the jeep.

With regard to the cargo carrying capacity being higher than the "ton" rating, when I was in the Army it was explained like this: The "ton" rating of the vehicle (for the military, at least) explains how much cargo the vehicle can carry OFF ROAD.

ON-ROAD the same vehicle could carry as much as twice the cargo capacity. So, IOW, a "deuce and a half" could carry 5 tons on the highway, but only 2 1/2 tons off road. Similarly, a Jeep could carry 1000lbs on the road but only 500 off road (hence the "quarter ton" designation.)

Since the early post-WWII pickup trucks were derived from the military trucks that were made during the war, they carried those "ton" designations with them. So the Military 3/4 ton became the Dodge Power Wagon and other manufacturers followed suit classifying their lightest trucks as "half tons", the next step up as "three quarter ton" and the next step from that (the largest of the "light duty" trucks" as "one ton" trucks, even though in reality a "half ton" truck could typically carry more than 1,000lbs and a "one ton" truck could typically carry more than one ton.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As far as I can tell, none of them are terrible. All of them are competetive. Straight from the dealer, I think the Colorado ZR2 and Gladiator Rubicon are the most complete off road packages, but everyone knows the Tacoma has fantastic aftermarket support, and I don't think you will have trouble building a Ranger into a capable off road rig either.
You are right about all those points. Two things the Colorado has going for it to me is the longer warranty and the Auto 4WD. Living where winter exists for 8 months out of the year, it might be nice. I have managed without it, but still... might be nice to have....

Clutch

<---Pass
I believe the "ton" ratings are leftovers from the WWII military. The military classified their vehicles by the ability they could haul for planning and logistics purposes.

So, during WWII there were the early Dodge WC series trucks that were 1/2 ton rated. Then later they upgraded to the 3/4 ton, the most well known of which was probably the WC-52, often called the "Weapons Carrier" (contrary to what some will tell you, "WC" does not stand for "Weapons Carrier", it is the Dodge model designation for their 4x4 military trucks made during WWII.) The WC series included the WC-52 (basically an open top pickup, early in the war it was nicknamed the "Beep."), the Command Car, which was an open topped passenger vehicle, and the "carryall" which can be thought of as the ancestor to the modern wagon-type SUV.

Here's a good Wiki article on the WC series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_WC_series

Other manufacturers, of course, also made vehicles during WWII using the "ton" ratings to classify them including, of course, the GMC CCKW "Deuce-and-a-half" (2 1/2 ton truck) and the Willys and Ford "quarter ton" i.e the jeep.

With regard to the cargo carrying capacity being higher than the "ton" rating, when I was in the Army it was explained like this: The "ton" rating of the vehicle (for the military, at least) explains how much cargo the vehicle can carry OFF ROAD.

ON-ROAD the same vehicle could carry as much as twice the cargo capacity. So, IOW, a "deuce and a half" could carry 5 tons on the highway, but only 2 1/2 tons off road. Similarly, a Jeep could carry 1000lbs on the road but only 500 off road (hence the "quarter ton" designation.)

Since the early post-WWII pickup trucks were derived from the military trucks that were made during the war, they carried those "ton" designations with them. So the Military 3/4 ton became the Dodge Power Wagon and other manufacturers followed suit classifying their lightest trucks as "half tons", the next step up as "three quarter ton" and the next step from that (the largest of the "light duty" trucks" as "one ton" trucks, even though in reality a "half ton" truck could typically carry more than 1,000lbs and a "one ton" truck could typically carry more than one ton.
Thanks for the info, Martinjmpr.

Speaking of military vehicles, there was a 5-Ton driving down the road the other week, and my wife says to me..."we need one of those!" Knew there was a reason I married her.

Couple for sale just up the road from us....hmmmm. :D

http://www.idahomotorpool.com

Clutch

<---Pass

I know!

Buddy of mine in Colorado is building a 60's Burb...gotta say it is coming out **************.

48930674_10218012583731395_8153837421084016640_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles