2019 F350 6.2L 4WD build thread; HPI flatbed, ATO AterraXL composite camper, Carli/King, 37s, 4.88s, etc

montypower

Adventure Time!
Failures are not common on the 2017+ trucks. Could be age or design improvement. Our hubs work perfectly. If they fail we will look at Warn hubs. But no reason to replace something that works. And rather convenient. Happy with them so far.

Same with the unit bearings. I like them. No ongoing adjustments and greasing. Once again failures are not common. And replacing after 100-150k is acceptable to me.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Impossible to know without tearing one of the unit bearings apart.
I will say this... I checked part numbers and application years for the following...

Front axle U-joints (at wheel)
Front calipers
Front rotors
Front axle caliper brackets

And all share the same part numbers with the 2011-2016 superduties.

The ONLY thing Ive found that has a new part number for the 2017+ trucks is the wheel ABS sensor.
And the unit bearing itself, obviously. So Id say it is pretty likely that the entire unit bearing is the same as previous years, with the only change being related to ABS.
But again, impossible to actually know without tearing one apart. Though it should become evident as these new(er) trucks rack up mileage.

For me, spending $1000 for front bearings is simply doesnt jive regardless of mileage, as they can go sideways fast.
Mine went from a slight vibration to nearly self destructed, in less than a couple hundred miles.
I've also read many similar instances, and some VERY nasty ones. Primarily due to the actual bearing retainers in the hub itself, being made of plastic.
So once the bearing starts to fail the heat does the rest. Especially if you haul heavy like we do.

Again, this is assuming there was not a design change.
And your mileage may vary ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Impossible to know without tearing one of the unit bearings apart.
I will say this... I checked part numbers and application years for the following...

Front axle U-joints (at wheel)
Front calipers
Front rotors
Front axle caliper brackets

And all share the same part numbers with the 2011-2016 superduties.

The ONLY thing Ive found that has a new part number for the 2017+ trucks is the wheel ABS sensor.
And the unit bearing itself, obviously. So Id say it is pretty likely that the entire unit bearing is the same as previous years, with the only change being related to ABS.
But again, impossible to actually know without tearing one apart. Though it should become evident as these new(er) trucks rack up mileage.

For me, spending $1000 for front bearings is simply doesnt jive regardless of mileage, as they can go sideways fast.
Mine went from a slight vibration to nearly self destructed, in less than a couple hundred miles.
I've also read many similar instances, and some VERY nasty ones. Primarily due to the actual bearing retainers in the hub itself, being made of plastic.
So once the bearing starts to fail the heat does the rest. Especially if you haul heavy like we do.

Again, this is assuming there was not a design change.
And your mileage may vary ;)

I thought y’all were looney toons talking about a unit bearing WITH a manual hub.

Aint ever seen that weirdness.

Did some research, interesting design….it honestly makes sense in an odd warped way ??‍♂️

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, non Ford guys just dont get it. ?
Ford guys are just happy to still have manual hubs instead of a full time front end or center disconnect shenanigans.

Its just too bad the unit bearings are considered a consumable at this point. Easy to replace, yes, but far from inexpensive and can be dangerous when they do decide to go.

Explorerinil

Observer
Yeah, non Ford guys just dont get it. ?
Ford guys are just happy to still have manual hubs instead of a full time front end or center disconnect shenanigans.

Its just too bad the unit bearings are considered a consumable at this point. Easy to replace, yes, but far from inexpensive and can be dangerous when they do decide to go.
Yes you are rite, a solid one piece 35 spline shaft if much stronger than a two piece shaft with a cad that is prone to fail along with the sealed unit bearings. Hubs are one thing for has done correctly. Discomnect at the wheel, and have a manual option as back up. You are also correct the 17 up hubs are the same with a different tone or abs ring. 17 on up super duty hubs fail just as much as prior versions. if you have ever had a hub fail and lock up on the interstate you will get it.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My under box idea/design has changed more than your tire choice.
Hopefully I make up my mind and get the ball rolling before I die of old age
I never made any tire choices until recently; I was still choosing the entire time. Zing! ;)
Anything new on your boxes?

Saw you found tires but figured I'd leave the link to another newer option anyway.
Kanati sells the Commandant ATX in a 37x12.5-17 12 ply with a 4k load rating
Build looks to be coming along great though. What part of Oregon are you based out of?
Thanks, never heard of Kanati.
Camper might be finished in a week or so. Photoshoot had to be pushed back to October for a few reasons with others in the group. Gives me time to get my unicorn and dolphin graphics done Kevin. Also means I won't run on the 37" Yoko's until I weigh the truck/camper, in case I need to return them and go with an 18" setup. So, for much of the summer, I'll be running on chrome(ugh!!) factory 18s and 33" Ironman AT's that came on the truck when I bought it, so I can get some free miles out of them.
Between Central Oregon and TentCity.

Peter, I wanted to upgrade to known good Warn hubs before I had any issues. Glad you haven't had issues on your truck, and you drive it pretty dang hard. Keep knocking on wood!

LOL Mark, that's quite a MadMax rig. I won't have as many accoutrements....
Final weight is probably close to the same
[insert kissy face and middle finger emoji]
Azz LOL.

Reactions: mog

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What’s the word on your camper delivery?

Maybe completed next week?? I've been letting ATO do their thang. I know they want it out of there and paid for just like we want it on our truck. I've been a patient grasshopper lately.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Saw the pics on your IG

Looks like OEM fitment, and beautifully executed! Well done sir!

That awning though... [insert confused smiley face and smiling middle finger emoji here]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles