2018 Chevy Express 2.8 Duramax

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
We have been running 4:10 and 4:56 in our 4x4 Chevrolet Express conversions? I would bet its cheaper to do 3:73 because you can get the front diff with that ratio and match the rear. Typically we are re-gearing front and rear with lockers.

zuren

Adventurer
Even the lunkiest 3/4 ton ain't worse to drive than an Express van. So I don't get the "too much 90%" part.

My comment comes from that fact that a 1/2 ton truck can do everything I need (general transport for 4-5 people, trips to the lumber yard, forward-facing seats for kids car seats, seat area is separate from cargo/potential living area) with comfort and mid-20s fuel economy EXCEPT the ability to carry a slide-in camper; my buddy's newer Silverado 1500 says it right in the manual. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck can do it all, but will not be as comfortable unloaded and most of the numbers I've seen for fuel economy is high teens at best (though I do have a friend with a 2500 Dodge diesel quad cab with a tuner who can get low 20s on the highway if he stays out of the throttle). Maybe I need to start researching the AT Summit topper and forget the idea of a slide-in camper...

I'm not hating on 3/4+ ton trucks, I just question if one would be a good choice for me, my family, and our needs for the majority of our day-to-day use, not just the couple camping or hunting trips per year where it would be NEEDED. My overall vision is to have a vehicle that has a comfortable passenger cabin, a separate cargo/sleeping space for some people if not all 4 of us, gets mid-20s or better MPG on the highway, and the hitch available to pull a boat or trailer. I fully acknowledge that my goals may be unrealistic, or my thoughts on the matter are too scattered at this point.

Scotty D

With a stock 1500 express AWD you can squeeze 20MPG out with just a little hypermiling .
Add BFGs, a 2 inch lift , roof rack, solar panels and a bike on the back and you can still get 17.
Not sure a 3/4 ton will do that on gasoline.

Has anyone driven one or bought one?

I found one locally. I test drove it today and like it. I'd like it even more if it was an extended and had a pop-top.

Express 3500, 2.8L Duramax inline-four, 8-speed auto and has the Advanced 4x4 IFS 3" conversion done with 3.73 gears.

It's peppy, it sounds good, shifts nice. I didn't get it on the highway. It has all, if not most, of the options. It's used with less than 4000 miles. My only concerns would be the IFS and 3" lift. I don't know if any larger tires could be put on with those fenders. They are running 285/70R17s. I'm not saying I want to or need to, but the option may not be there anyway.

It's a bit out of my price range for now but I'll be watching out for them.

20180718_111019-X3.jpg
That is a great looking van

D

Deleted member 9101

My comment comes from that fact that a 1/2 ton truck can do everything I need (general transport for 4-5 people, trips to the lumber yard, forward-facing seats for kids car seats, seat area is separate from cargo/potential living area) with comfort and mid-20s fuel economy EXCEPT the ability to carry a slide-in camper; my buddy's newer Silverado 1500 says it right in the manual. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck can do it all, but will not be as comfortable unloaded and most of the numbers I've seen for fuel economy is high teens at best (though I do have a friend with a 2500 Dodge diesel quad cab with a tuner who can get low 20s on the highway if he stays out of the throttle). Maybe I need to start researching the AT Summit topper and forget the idea of a slide-in camper...

I'm not hating on 3/4+ ton trucks, I just question if one would be a good choice for me, my family, and our needs for the majority of our day-to-day use, not just the couple camping or hunting trips per year where it would be NEEDED. My overall vision is to have a vehicle that has a comfortable passenger cabin, a separate cargo/sleeping space for some people if not all 4 of us, gets mid-20s or better MPG on the highway, and the hitch available to pull a boat or trailer. I fully acknowledge that my goals may be unrealistic, or my thoughts on the matter are too scattered at this point.

Have you looked at an F150 with the heavy duty payload package? The Super Crew has a massive interior, the 3.5 Ecoboost gets great fuel economy, and it pulls like a diesel. (The 5.0 is a great motor, but it uses a little more fuel and doesn't pull as well as the 3.5) If you get an XL with the STX package I'm betting that it will cost less than a van.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
We recently lifted a 2wd Chevrolet Express and the customer was kind enough to let us play with it a little. What i really wanted to know is how well would it tow? So we hooked up a 4700lb boat and a 6700lb trailer and seen what it could do. To find out more check out this video.....

Len.Barron

Observer
My only concerns would be the IFS and 3" lift. I don't know if any larger tires could be put on with those fenders. They are running 285/70R17s.
Those fronts are going to rub as soon as you compress and turn. I run the same size with a lot more lift and just clear them. Nothing wrong with the IFS, it's excellent for a small lift like that.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Jeremy,

Thanks for posting the 2.8 towing video, the wait was killing me. ;) I’m planning on ordering a 2020 2500 Regular Wheelbase Express and after seeing the video I’m pretty much convinced it’ll serve me well. I do have a couple questions for ya. In video you say the van is on 285/70/17 (32”) tires, was the van regeared? What ratio? Or is it still running the stock 3.42’s? Also, do you have any info on mpg of these vans when not towing?

Again, thanks for posting the video. I’m looking forward to the comparison videos against the 6.6 Duramax and the 6.0 gas. While I know it’s not what the 6.6 is (I got one) I need a bit more camping room than the back of a pickup offers.

WVI

Adventurer
I had a FedEx delivery this am and he was driving a Chevy diesel van First I've seen in person!

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Jeremy,

Thanks for posting the 2.8 towing video, the wait was killing me. ;) I’m planning on ordering a 2020 2500 Regular Wheelbase Express and after seeing the video I’m pretty much convinced it’ll serve me well. I do have a couple questions for ya. In video you say the van is on 285/70/17 (32”) tires, was the van regeared? What ratio? Or is it still running the stock 3.42’s? Also, do you have any info on mpg of these vans when not towing?

Again, thanks for posting the video. I’m looking forward to the comparison videos against the 6.6 Duramax and the 6.0 gas. While I know it’s not what the 6.6 is (I got one) I need a bit more camping room than the back of a pickup offers.
This van did not have a gearing change and is running the original gear set with the 285 tires. We didn't drive it far enough to gauge a good fuel economy but it said it was getting 15MPG on or around. I think that would really good if accurate.
In my 6.0 gas with 4:56 gears on 35" tires I typically see around 10mpg :cautious: but boy do i love driving it....
Here is another video on a 2.8L Duramax Diesel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz